HID bi-xenon and high beam indicator

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Just wondering if anyone had figured out a fix for the HID bi-xenon kits not energizing the high beam indicator on the dash when high beams are activated.

Thanks

Wayne

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Doward said:
Look for my 'Quick Question about Headlights' thread - JJ, 3p and myself discussed it a little.
Thanks for the tip.

Got my TEWD out and was looking at E2 and A1.

Pm'd JJ with some specific questions.

Again thanks.

Wayne

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If you have an LED in the high-beam indicator, a 400ohm 2W resistor across the low-beams should work.

If you've got the stock high beam indicator bulb, then a decent sized bulb across the low beams would act as a power resistor. A turn signal bulb, for example.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hmm... but having an odd light hidden somewhere makes me think: heat + closed space = melting and fire

only reason I didn't do that...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
GrimJack said:
In theory we should just be able to measure the resistance on a stock headlight and put in something similar. Unless I'm smoking the crack again, which at this time of night is possible...

yep or figure out the voltage drop and reverse the i/R *v thing and you should be able to come up with the resistence that way..

shouldn't be to hard.. if dont right shouldn't need a trail either.. (another beer maybe?)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
First, a tungsten filament is non-linear, so if you measure the resistance of a headlight it will be very low, almost shorted, when cold. When its powered up, the resistance is much higher.

For the indicator light you want 12V across it, so the required resistance of the load on high beams is simple, its zero ohms! Problem is, on low beams that will not be too useful, as you'll blow the fuse.

Toyota selected a ratio 32:1 for the two bulb sizes (110W/3.4W). That is not realistic for us. A turn signal bulb is hopefully good compromise (8:1 ratio), it will be looking close to a short with the high beams on and so the indicator light will be happy, and in low beam mode it is a reasonable load.

Poodles has a good point, in that the bulb will be on during low beams, so it needs to be hidden and not near anything that will burn.

If it was me, I would go for the LED (just a bare LED with no dropping resistor) and use the 400ohm 2W resistor across the low beams.

Or, you could rewire the indicator circuit so its not powered through the low beams.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The socket. The relay's coil should serve the same purpose as a lamp filament or resistor without their drawbacks. Worst that could happen is the indicator might be a bit dim. 3p?

Myself, I'd probably rewire it. Pretty simple other than the tight work area in the footwell.