hey, I just picked up a Supra

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
mutt;955022 said:
so I figured I should finally sign up here, I've been lurking for awhile now since I new I would be getting the car for a month or so.
so ya, my name is Rich and I just picked up a 88 supra, pearl white Targa, 5spd. the car is rough but I am looking forward to the work, Ive liked this body style for as long as I can remember

Welcome to the board. yet another local on here :)

Enjoy your stay!

Duane

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
oh cool!, lol have you gone to spanish banks for mikes get togethers??, I may have seen your car afew years ago (camera tripod for a hood prop)

Rich

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Right on someone else from chilliwack. I know of a good car as a parts car if you need it. Its a 86.5 N/A burgandy on burgandy I believe. Has BHG though. everything else on the car though is basically mint. I think the guy only wanted $700 or something. Give me a call if you want and I wouldn't mind stopping by and checking out this project your starting. 604 819 4739 - Justin

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
thanks Chuck

and thanks for stopping by on sunday Justin it was nice to meet you and get to see your car:love:

I got abit of cleaning up done to the interior after you left

supraman7mgte, I forgot to take engine bay pics till after I had already torn into it abit, but you can get the idea from these I guess, I have oil in the spark plug area under the center cover so I tore into it tonight (started at 2am, my neibors must love me), gonna have to get some valve cover gaskets and one little piece of hose so far (it looks like it is part of the pcv system and it is split)

as always I got side tracked and spent more time cleaning things up then anything else, but I cant do much untill I get a 14MM torx socket to pull those plugs in between the sparkplugs

I was able to pull the ones that hold the cover on by welding together a bolt and washer and using that, but it wasnt strong enough to pull the ones in the head

well anyhow I am very tired (it is 5:20am now) and I should probly sleep before work, so I will leave you guys with the pics and check back in later

Rich

p960938_1.jpg

p960938_2.jpg

p960938_3.jpg

p960938_4.jpg

p960938_5.jpg

p960938_6.jpg

p960938_7.jpg

p960938_8.jpg

p960938_9.jpg

p960938_10.jpg

p960938_11.jpg

p960938_12.jpg

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
not much to see tonight, just alittle paint ( I swear it looks better in person)
p962195_1.jpg

p962195_2.jpg

p962195_3.jpg

is this to many pics for everyone??
I like to take to many pics I think

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
I had read that they are prone to leaking and I had planned to seal them and re torque them while I was there... but I took abetter look at my plan and I will be able to get to them pretty easy in the future if they start to weep

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
so I got it back together, I was hoping the missfire was due to the oild bath the plugs and wires were taking, but it is still missing on 3 cylinders (2,3, and 5)
swapped plugs and wires around to different holes and it still misses on 2,3 and 5???
could the coil pack cause this?
should I borrow a compression tester and see if thats the problem??
well anyhow, here is it back together, not really cleaned up by any means, but I have to get it running right first
p967060_1.jpg

p967060_2.jpg

p967060_3.jpg

Wh1t3T1g3r

The Dreamer
Feb 11, 2008
New Hampshire
Wow! I have a car just like yours except mine is black, 86.5. I bought it from this family after seeing it on ebay for $100. I ended up paying $300. The exterior had rotted fenders and in need of a complete new engine. I put money into the car and swapped the engine, got the head rebuilt, got the fenders replaced and now I need to paint it and fix the rust on the quarter panels. I also have to replace the subframes and definitely the suspension. The only problem is everytime I see someone parting out with a car in the classifieds section, its somewhere really far and I can't even imagine about how on earth I would get those parts. I have a pic I can post up a little later for you that might make you feel a little better, trust me. You'll get there as long as you dedicate the time and effort to your car. Don't get discouraged in any way even if people tell you its a piece of crap because sooner or later it will be a work of art. Remember, once your at the bottom, the only way to go is up.

Wh1t3T1g3r

The Dreamer
Feb 11, 2008
New Hampshire
Okay I think my comment was a little late, but still. I was looking at the first page and didn't even bother to look and see if there were more pages to this thread...Goodluck with you car man :)

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Try wiggling the CPS connector while the engine is running...If it stumbles or stalls, then that's the problem...could also be your plug wires, coil packs, or even the wiring to the coils (green connector on the right)...also check all of the motor's ground points, especially the cluster of grounds under the intake manifold towards the firewall. Have you checked for engine error codes?

Nice job on making some progress. ;)

mutt

Mar 7, 2008
chilliwack BC
Supra 86.5: thanks for the kind words, I would like to see these pics!

Johnathan1: I will have to find out where to find the cps connector, and the grounds will have to be checked, I have swapped plug wires around and the problem stays with the cylinder not the plug wire, and I have no check engine light illuminated on the dash, can it have codes stored without the check engine light on??

I am hoping when I pick up my spare engine that there is another coil pack included and then I will no if that is the culprit or not

I have had the coil packs unplugged afew times now ind havn't noticed any damage in the wires or a difference in how it runs before and after, so I think that connector is ok

thank you very much for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Rich