Help with swapping in a 89+ Motor with grey plug harness into a 88

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
The plan is to swap the motor out of my 1990 Turbo with the gray plug harness into a 1988 Turbo car with the yellow plug harness. What would be the easiest way of doing this? Can I use the yellow plug harness on my 90 motor or do I have to rewire the entire car for the gray plug harness?

spinyard

always lurking..
Nov 1, 2009
Ottawa
Did this last year. I have a 86.5 car with a 87 harness. the motor is a 92. The only plugs that are different are the thermostat housing sensors. so just use the old housing, or swap out the individual sensors.

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
SC61 MK3;1654410 said:
The plan is to swap the motor out of my 1990 Turbo with the gray plug harness into a 1988 Turbo car with the yellow plug harness. What would be the easiest way of doing this? Can I use the yellow plug harness on my 90 motor or do I have to rewire the entire car for the gray plug harness?

Use the yellow plug harness on the motor. ALWAYS use the harness that matches the CHASSIS of the car! That being said, you have a few options for the very few connectors that won't match up because of the newer motor w/ older harness.

1) just swap the sensors. That's the easiest way
2) De-pin the harness connectors and swap the connectors to the yellow harness.

spinyard;1654428 said:
Did this last year. I have a 86.5 car with a 87 harness. the motor is a 92. The only plugs that are different are the thermostat housing sensors. so just use the old housing, or swap out the individual sensors.

Yep. :)

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
What ever engine harness originally came with the car you need that harness and ecu unless you want to rewire the entire car.

For example I parted out my 90 turbo and took out the 90 motor/gray harness/gray ecu. I ended up buying a 88 turbo shell and I used my 7mgte from my 1990 but had to get a yellow plug 7mgte harness and ecu so it plugged into the car and I didn't have to spend a shit load of time trying to figure out where every wire goes and rig up the entire car, not worth it imo

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

A engine harness and ecu for an 87/88 is cheap, look around. The gray plug stuff is worth more you can sell the 89+ stuff and just buy the correct 88 yellow plug stuff and have left over money

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Volvospy;1681642 said:
I believe the camshaft position sensor's clips are different. Be careful when swapping the clips!

No they aren't.