Help with removal of Oil Filter Housing

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I am removing the stock oil filter housing and oil cooler for a remote thermostat full flow system.
I have done my research and seen Jdub awesome thread. I still have a few concerns.

TSRM Bolt #15609G...is this the only bolt holding the oil filer housing to block? Any tips on removing this bolt. I sure am having trouble breaking this bolt loose. Whats the torque spec on this?...maybe its just seized?

Secondly, what needs to be done to the stock oil cooler return hose that leads into the oil pan? Remove the hose and use same bolt to plug hole? There is also what I think is transmission cooler hard line in the way of this bolt ead making it impossible to get a socket around.

Any help/suggestions/tips are more then welcome.

Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
iirc its like a 24mm socket and then use a breaker bar or long ratchet. its not crazy tight or anything.

You would either need to cap it off or put a new shorter bolt in there with a washer to seal it. Iirc you can buy the bolt from toyota.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
That 24mm was really on there good....had to improvise and use sum pipe laying around to get more torque. (already using 24" ratchet)

Hope to have time to finish the install tomorrow. Not certain on cooler location yet.

Any suggestions. In for pictures if ya got them.

By the way, using
-hayden 676 cooler 11x6x.75
-hayden 291 Oil Filter relocation kit
-3/8 oil lines

No thermostat at the moment...also I need temp probe.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
ok guys..here is the update.
I got the NA filter bolt from the dealership.

Is there suppose to be a gasket that goes on this NA bolt into block? and what is the torque spec?
Also, which side of this NA bolt threads into the block? One side has less threads then the other.

Last edited:

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
So the one end that looks more flat and has less threads goes towards the engine block? Is that correct?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
From looking at the diagram. It appears the side with less threads will mate to the oil filter adapter side. Can anyone confirm.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
Only one way to test, thread each end onto a filter, but I'm sure the flat side of the bolt goes to the block

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk