Help with figuring out my Code?

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
okay, so after a couple times of starting my car up and having it fail to start with just clicks, i decided to try to see if it would start again.

i went out to my garage and start it up; VROOM! YESH!! it starts!! but its having trouble keeping idle and dies. so i decided to run a code diagnosis. i've tried this many times before without it showing any codes but when i tried it today i got a code going.

i'm not sure if i got the correct code, i know it flashes and blinks and i think its 22?
here's the Youtube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbTHSCo6xWM

so my water temp. sensor is bad correct?

thanks

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
looks like code 11 to me. the long pause is let you know it is moving on to the next code
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx
the click you are hearing is liklely the starter contacts going out.

mkiiichip;1535134 said:
the clicking noise you are hearing is the solenoid in the starter. This is a very common problem with toyota starters. rebuilding the starter should fix the problem
if you have a starter that looks somewhat like the one pictured here (concentrating on the upper half (the other style looks nothing like this.)) this style is easily rebuildable

Starter_08.JPG

remove three small bolts containing the solenoid, remove cover, plunger (clean up copper part of plunger) and spring. replace contacts shown here

starter7.jpg

put starter back together, reinstall starter, drive on.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
so what would you guys recommend me to do?
change all of the area's above to new one's?
or which one would be the most likeliest of causes?

thanks guys for helping me out
i appreciate all these help you guys are giving me =)

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
okay, so i reset my ECU and ran the codes again. i got a CODE 31, 3 blinks a pause then 1 blink
31 Air Flow Meter Signal

Diagnosis

* (7M-GE) Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed.
* (7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.

Trouble Area

* Air flow meter circuit
* Air flow meter
* ECU

would the air flow meter be the air flow mass sensor?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
the air flow meter is the air flow meter.
we dont have "mass" air flow sensors.

also a dead battery could cause the starter to click without cranking the motor.
and if you left it for a few days maybe it had just enough juice to get it started.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
kotu100;1567088 said:
the air flow meter is the air flow meter.
we dont have "mass" air flow sensors.

also a dead battery could cause the starter to click without cranking the motor.
and if you left it for a few days maybe it had just enough juice to get it started.

sorry, i'm still new at this =) thanks for pointing it out for me though.
yeah, i'm going to have to put in a new battery also.

mkiiichip;1567087 said:
Are you having a "no crank" or "no start" issue?

Two completely different issues.

it cranks and it starts, it just has problem idling and dies

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
alright, Code 31, bad idle and dies, changing the AFM and the Cracked accordion hose.

thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it.

hopefully it runs and starts next time i changed the parts.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
yeah what is the complaint now? Check all your bat connections, if it aint tight it aint right!!! Check the starter wires. Check for loose grounds they can be a nightmare and have you chasing in the wrong direction.

My post was way late

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
okay, starting this thread back up, i changed the accordion hose, and it wasn't that.
still does the same thing, from time to time it doesn't start, just cranks.
here's some pictures of the motor, don't know if it'll help but just to give you guys what has been done(nothing really), the previous owner did all the blocking of hoses and such. and custom wiring for the Electric fans.
p1571091_1.jpg

p1571091_2.jpg

Cold start injector time switch/charcoal canister vsv/turbo coolant line aren't so great, same goes to my Engine Harness, i need a new one.
p1571091_3.jpg

p1571091_4.jpg

this is the Custom wiring for the Electric fan, done by a good friend
p1571091_5.jpg

Hose lines that are blocked or has no hoses to them
p1571091_6.jpg

thanks for looking at this guys, i really appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Your catch can setup seems wrong. The only time you'd get any crankcase air to go to it would be during boost, and since it's vented to ATM, that means its a boost leak. The air filter should come off, and that end of the can should go to the accordian.

PS- why don't you just test the AFM as per the TSRM, and cancel any doubts about it? It would only take 5 minutes.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
have a faulty AFM getting a new one, from ZumTizzle soon, i hope haha

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

supraguy@aol;1571141 said:
Your catch can setup seems wrong. The only time you'd get any crankcase air to go to it would be during boost, and since it's vented to ATM, that means its a boost leak. The air filter should come off, and that end of the can should go to the accordian.

PS- why don't you just test the AFM as per the TSRM, and cancel any doubts about it? It would only take 5 minutes.

i was looking at the Repair manual and my BVSV setup does seem wrong, but this setup isn't done by me, its done by the previous owner before my uncle had owned it, that had this car before. my uncle bought that car, then a couple of years after his ownership, it wasn't drivable, putting in 2-3 thousand dollars himself to fix the training and etc. but haven't seemed to fix it. since then it has been sitting in his garage for about 5-6 months, and then now i'm trying to fix the Supra up.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

kotu100;1571122 said:
does the tach move when the engine cranks but doesnt start?

tach meaning the RPG gauge? if you're talking about the RPM gauge it doesn't move

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
theres you're problem. if your RPM gauge isnt jumping you're not gettin ignition.
check your CPS wires, jiggle em around some.

MrHmgSC

Apr 24, 2010
NorCal
okay, i'll check on that tomorrow and i'll try to get a video going, so you guys could get a better perspective on what i have going on.
explaining what is wrong with my car is hard to describe. a video of how it sounds like when i try to crank it up would be helpful, same goes to the engine itself/gauges and etc.
i hope my problems just the AFM.