help, trans is unhappy

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
Hey, just got back from proving grounds at BIR in Minnesota this weekend and i ran into a problem on the way back. i feel a pulsation in the clutch pedal and can hear almost describable as a knocking sound from the bellhousing and the worse it gets the harder it gets to shift. i managed to stop in a parking lot and jack the car up to get a better look, didnt notice anything just playing with the clutch pedal but when i started it the pressure plate didnt look true, whether the pressure plate or flywheel bolts are coming loose, or something else. this isnt the first time this has happened to me, seems like everytime i take the flywheel off and put it back on it works fine for like 2 weeks and starts acting up again. it happened well over 5 times on the 7mgte that i had in my car before, this is the first time it has happened with the 2jzgte i have in it now. does anyone know what might be causing this? last time it happened on the 7mgte engine the flywheel bolts and the input shaft snapped.

car backround: 89 supra jdm 2jzgte from aristo, driftmotion lightweight flywheel, arp flywheel bolts, brand new pilot bearing, oem r154 pressure plate and clutch disc, oem r154 pressure plate bolts, recently rebuilt r154 transmission (not original transmission) with marlin crawler mainshaft bearing retainer.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I've heard that some MK4 guys don't use the ARP flywheel bolts on their 2Js because the OEM ones are longer, even though the OEM ones are torque to yield.

If you need them I have 8 brand new OEM Toyota 2JZ flywheel bolts that I don't need as I reused my old ones for my 1JZ. PM me if you're interested.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
i followed the TSRM for torquing the bolts, has the driftmotion lightweight flywheel on the 2j with the locking ring, and i used threadlock too. getting kinda tired of pulling the transmission every 200 miles. could it be a balance problem with the flywheel / pressure plate?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you use arp or the stock bolts?

If the 2jz bolts are tty they need to be replaced.

And iirc arp says not to use loctite.

Also could be a cheap torque wrench that is under torquing the bolts.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
The OEM bolts are TTY. My buddy with a MK4 told me that they should really only be used once. Though people do sometimes reuse them, but again that's super dangerous.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
the flywheel bolts are arp, dont remember which torque wrench i used.
And iirc arp says not to use loctite.
why would you not use threadlock? unless ARP managed to make their bolts ooze magic that keeps the from coming loose from vibrations i dont see how thats supposed to work

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
hvyman;2011733 said:
The bolts need to be torqued properly.

Ive never had fly wheel bolts back out before.

Right here.

Or the threads are damaged. The fastener can back out if what it is being screwed into is damaged. The bolt won't stretch to its elastic point.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
hmm, thats weird. i wouldnt think you would want to use any kind of grease or oil on flywheel bolts because it can get onto the flywheel and cause irregular wear on it and the clutch disc. are the arp flywheel bolts the same for the 4age and the 2jz? i couldnt find a torque spec for them anywhere so i just guestimated.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya there 4ag bolts.

You would have to use way too much grease for it to damage the clutch. I usually put a little on on the splines so the disc can slide easy.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
pulled the tranny this morning. everything looks fine although i found some threadlock inbetween the pressure plate and flywheel, around the bolts. thinking that this made it so the pressure plate didnt sit on the flywheel straight. flywheel bolts seem to be tight, ill probably take it off and torque them back on anyway though. also the input shaft has a little play, but i just put a new input shaft bearing in. are they supposed to have a little play (how much) or did i not put enough miles on it to break it in before beating on it

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The input shaft will have a little movement. The front part of input shaft is supported by the pilot bearing.

Make sure your mounting surfaces are clean. I would get new bolts OEM or ARP and make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten.

ST1TCHE5

Aug 15, 2013
North Dakota
today i took a closer look at the flywheel, it has little indents where the pressure plate meets up with it in some spots as if the pressure plate was what came loose, im guessing im gonna have to get a new flywheel. ill probably take a dial indicator after it to double check.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I would replace everything personally. Stock 1J flywheel new clutch PP pilot bearing tob and all new ARP bolts torqued to spec with loctite. I (along with another local) have had flywheel bolts back out on these cars and to be honest my feet are worth more than a clutch kit and flywheel.

That and after injuring my shoulders and breaking 10+ transmissions (not just Supras) I have zero tolerance for working on transmissions anymore lol.

2JZGTE OEM flywheels are dual mass. Thicker flywheel = longer bolts. Order ARPs, torque to ARP specs. I use red on the flywheel bolts and blue on the rest.