Help! Supra doesn't run right

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Probably not since Napa wants over 150 for the regulator. You can at least pull the regulator and see the condition of the brushes. Also check if it is putting out AC voltage which would mean the diodes aren't rectifying to DC volts.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Haven't been able to check out much on the supra past couple days. I did install the jdm bubble markers, will put pics later. I also took apart the window switches to clean the connections as I'm having issues with the passenger side going back up. Worked good after only a few times then went back to the same issue. From what i can tell I'm having quite a bit electrical issues. Still waiting on a hand full of parts I ordered. I will be buying a new alternator in the next couple weeks or so to fix that issue. Other then that she still sits there waiting to get back on the road again :(.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok got the parts in couple days ago and just got them in the car today. Used fpr vsv, egr vsv, iacv, coil pack harness, and egr modulator. Will try to buy a new alternator brush and see if that fixes my charging problem, if not will just get a new alternator. Then finally back to the fuel issue.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Any success on this one?

No not yet as I have been super busy this past two weeks and haven't been able to even look at the supra. Also had issues pop up on my dd i had to spend money on. Will differently get back into it within the next week or two. I know for sure alternator is bad but havent taken it apart yet and im thinking in the back of my head that i most likely just have a weak fuel pump I will have to change. I got a steal on some injectors I now have just in case I will need them. What i have change so far on the supra is

New fuel filter
New tps
Used afm
Used ecu
Used iacv
Used egr modulator
Used egr vsv
Used cold start injector switch
Used coil pack harness
New starter
New battery

And more to come!!!!

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok got the used alternator in yesterday. Didn't fit my supra, bolt holes didn't match. Guy said it was off a 1992 supra turbo and was working before he pulled it off, don't know if there is any difference in the 1992 to 1987. So I just swapped the brushes and installed it and will test it out tomorrow. If that's the problem I'll just order a new brush.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Ok got the used alternator in yesterday. Didn't fit my supra, bolt holes didn't match. Guy said it was off a 1992 supra turbo and was working before he pulled it off, don't know if there is any difference in the 1992 to 1987. So I just swapped the brushes and installed it and will test it out tomorrow. If that's the problem I'll just order a new brush.

No difference in the years but there is a slight size difference in the 70 Amp and the 80 Amp. The alternator housing's on both line up and bolt up like it should. Do you have a picture of your alternator you received?

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
No difference in the years but there is a slight size difference in the 70 Amp and the 80 Amp. The alternator housing's on both line up and bolt up like it should. Do you have a picture of your alternator you received?

The part number on the alternator I got is 27060-63082
The alternator I already had in the supra has no labels so no part number on that. The one already in the supra is bulkier then the other one I bought.

It was the brush as now it is charging since I swapped out the brushes. I will end up buying two new brushes and swapping both alternator brushes and selling the other alternator I bought.

The used egr vsv, iacv, egr modulator, and coil harness i installed works perfectly. Now back to the fuel issue. What's the best way to test the fuel pump?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
The part number on the alternator I got is 27060-63082
The alternator I already had in the supra has no labels so no part number on that. The one already in the supra is bulkier then the other one I bought.

It was the brush as now it is charging since I swapped out the brushes. I will end up buying two new brushes and swapping both alternator brushes and selling the other alternator I bought.

The used egr vsv, iacv, egr modulator, and coil harness i installed works perfectly. Now back to the fuel issue. What's the best way to test the fuel pump?

To test the fuel pump you have to use a jumper and connect the +B and FP connectors in the diagnostic box.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
To test the fuel pump you have to use a jumper and connect the +B and FP connectors in the diagnostic box.

I did that and I'm getting the right fuel pressure during the +B and FP jumped, and of course hearing the fuel pump kick on. But I'm reading low fuel pressure at revving. Will do further testing and checking of the fuel system as Pi suggested.

Because I have bought a handful of parts I will have a good amount to sell once I get this running right.

Will also be making myself one of them paint can smokers to test for air/vac leaks in all my cars just to double check everything.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Got the brushes installed a few days ago. It has been cold here in houston so haven't tested anything yet.

Now that I got a good iacv on and the idle is perfect now and the charging system should be in good order now i will retest timing, fuel pressure, afm hertz readings, engine codes, and fuel pump voltage just to be on the safe side before I start swapping fuel system parts. Then if that all test good i will check the damper, fuel injectors, recheck lines then drop fuel tank if all rest test good.

Sad thing is I don't even know the condition of the transmission as I haven't been able to even drive it. Suspension seems to need some work. Haven't checked out brakes yet. Know for sure headlights need work, need to test the horn as it had that issue, need to figure out why starter has issues, and need to also figure out the temp gauge as it works sometimes. Still lots to come.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Probably a sticking/dirty and or bad solenoied in the starter.
I bet if you removed it, took it all apart and gave a good cleaning it would work normally again.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Probably a sticking/dirty and or bad solenoied in the starter.
I bet if you removed it, took it all apart and gave a good cleaning it would work normally again.

Could be true but would think this is a reman starter that I bought three months ago and it started the day I bought it. Wouldn't the company that reman'd it do that? With it having a warranty I think it be better to get an exchange on it.

Also still cold here in houston so will probably check out things this weekend when it warms up.