Help! Supra doesn't run right

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Before you do that place a shield between the fan and the afm. These afms are sensitive to turbulence and that setup you have is pretty near worst case. Also. For now you can unplug the tps. It will run ok without it and remove one more uncertainty for now.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Trying to see if I can find an afm and tps for a good price. But the question I have is i already have the part number for the afm but I don't have for the tps. I'm getting conflicting numbers for the tps. I need the part number for the pre 89. I figured based on my ecu that my swap is a 86-88.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Before you do that place a shield between the fan and the afm. These afms are sensitive to turbulence and that setup you have is pretty near worst case. Also. For now you can unplug the tps. It will run ok without it and remove one more uncertainty for now.

Im going to do this tomorrow and see what happens.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok so I bought a new tps and used afm on eBay just waiting for them to come in. I also bought some sheet metal to build a casing around the filter. Had to fix the steering column as the locking mechanism was jammed and the steering wheel was going all over the place. Found a few cut wires on the column which I'm fixing. It is most likely the horn and cruise wiring as they don't work. Will keep you guys updated.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Got the new tps in today. Spent about one hour adjusting it to specs. Waiting for the used but known working afm and will install both in and also make the cover for the air filter to compensate for the lack of a fan shield. Once all is done hopefully (fingers crossed) it should run right. I have fixed all the cut wiring i found under the steering column and behind the horn. It was all for the horn and cruise control. The curise control was also broken at the mounting spot so i superglue it back together and reinstalled it all back together. Seems to be a good fix. Still tones of work to come. Will most likely have to adjust the timing once I get the idle set right.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Ok got the tps and afm sheild installed today. Fluctuating idle has stopped but still hits fuel cut when revved up and idles at about 1500 rpms. In my mind when I first got the supra i accidentally touched the positive terminal to the alternator ground. Could that have messed up the ecu? Cause it seems like the fuel cut is getting worse meaning it's hitting fuel cut at roughly 1500 to 2000 rpm instead of 3000 rpm.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I believe that square wave looking thing at 5 o'clock on your voltmeter is the frequency setting.

On one hand, seeing an engine bay that rough makes me cringe... on the other I'm jealous because you can make it so much better with just a bunch of factory used parts. I get some weird satisfaction bringing things back to life.

Keep us updated here. That sheet metal shield looks far better than I expected.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
I believe that square wave looking thing at 5 o'clock on your voltmeter is the frequency setting.

On one hand, seeing an engine bay that rough makes me cringe... on the other I'm jealous because you can make it so much better with just a bunch of factory used parts. I get some weird satisfaction bringing things back to life.

Keep us updated here. That sheet metal shield looks far better than I expected.

Yeah I'm working on getting the thing running then will make it look pretty.

And the sheet metal shield is just temporary so I didn't expect it to turn out this good

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
From an internet search that square wave setting on the multimeter is a 50 Hz square wave generator, so that won't help.

My guess is the AFM is bad and once you replace it with a good one it will run fine, so hopefully the one you ordered will solve it. Still, That whole air filter contraption makes me nervous so close to the AFM.