help on engine choices for my ford v8 swapped fc rx7 build

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
ok guys i know this isnt a rx7 forum but i need so help as rx7club hates everyone without rotors. I loved all my supras but its time to move onto other things for now. i picked up a 88 rx7 gtu roller with a t2 rear end today and will be swapping in a sbf using the grannys speed shop kit. long term goal is 450whp but im thinking that will be winter 2013-14 rebuild, for now i just wanna get it running. goals are to have this car on the road by aug/sept 2012. so here are the engine options and rough price what you can find em for. 86-95 mustang 5.0 (they came with forged internals and is a roller engine) $300-$500. carbed mustang 302 $300-$500 plus a decent 4 barrel and intake $200. carbed 351W $300. Ill be using a t-5 trans or possibly a r154 with the advanced adapter plate for 302 to r154 if i can find the funds. fuel economy and throttle response, as i plan on boosting this engine down the line sometime is the pros with the EFI 302. electrical problems as well as the time to get everything wired correctly is the cons. carbed 302 will require very little wiring and will have a much cleaner engine bay, but i will sacrafic fuel economy and throttle response as well as i would need to convert to efi if i wanted to boost if down the road(i really dont wanna do a blow thru carb setup) If i went carbed 351 i would obviously gain displacement but am still dealing with a less throttle response then efi and would probably end up never boosting this engine and have to do an N/A build....... who doesnt love boost? i know i do. Before anybody say go ls1....NO. im not a fan of basterdizing cars. i can only justify the fors engine because mazda and ford share engines lol. and im sick of seeing lsx engines in every other car on the road. SO whats your guys opinions? im pretty much up in the air and could use some decent advice.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
beyond is out of my budget, im just really sick of seeing ls engines in everything. im really leaning on efi 302 then run twin ct26's next year. if you cant justify a decision then its not a good one in my eyes. as far as i know there isnt a twin turbo 302 FC built yet which is cool to me. but the ease of bolting on some high flow heads and decent cam to a 351 is also tempting.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Main reason the LS motor is a better choice is it's lighter and make more power easier. Keeps the weight balance the same so it doesn't spoil the RX7's great handling.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
the 5.0 keeps a 50/50 balance with battery relocation to the rear. i also wont have a/c and will be switching to a manual steering rack. with the carbed 302, no rear seats, no ac and power steering the cars weigh in at under 2800.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
The LSx motor is put into everything because they are the best V8 engine you can get. The LSx, 2JZ and 4G63 are pretty much the 3 best engines ever made.

If you HAVE to use a ford motor because you can't swallow the LSx awesomeness then I'd try a motor from an 03-04 Cobra (which actually had forged internals) but would probably out of your budget.

86-95 mustang 5.0 (they came with forged internals and is a roller engine) For your benefit, I would do a little more research here before you buy (if you choose this route) because the motors in the GT line for this year range had VAST variations.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
iv done a good amount of research. iv owned a few foxbodys and built one making roughly 400whp. like i first stated there will not be a lsx going into this car. so im a little unsure why this turned into a lsx is better thread. we all know it is a better engine but like i stated, im not a fan of basterdizing cars. the 4.6 mod engine i doubt will fit in and really isnt cost efficient to what i want do. http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/50.html shows the engine changes. as i said forged internals and roller cam was the main thing here and 86-92 has both of these.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I just swapped a p.i. mod motor into a Lincoln town car yesterday haha

It's not about LSx being better, it's just that if you're building a car why wouldn't you want to use the better motor?

But if you're only looking for 450 wheel on a carb car, then the 302 should work fine. Drive-ability on the street would start to suffer on a N/A 302 past 450 so glad to see you're considering boosting that bitch.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mazda was still Mazda then.

Mazda now is a ford with different badges.

Your still bastardizing the car.

Best bang for the buck is the ls. Cam intake exhaust and tune and your easily over 500hp reliably.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
fords had a stake in mazda since 79' and has been developing cars with them since the 80's. so good point on that one. yes everyone know the ls is a great engine. but with the current ls craze going on a ls1/t55 shipped to my house is roughly 4gs. and there is a ton of lsx rx7s out there. i would appreciate if people would stay on topic here.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
^Well Said.

LS. The 240SX guys love it. Simple upgrades to help those motors breathe makes way more power than on our cars. Got to love when you gain a bunch of HP just bolting on headers. :ugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I look at it the same way I look at someone putting a carbed SBC in a Supra. You're taking the brand's flagship model and putting a motor from the 1950's in it...

Now if you build an all aluminum EFI ford motor.... ;)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
We have a LS3 truck motor in a 240, LS car cam, valve springs and push rods, Headers, intake, injectors, E85 and tune made 470 to the wheels along with 460ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpms...

DONE!

jfreeman

3.0 7MGE
Sep 29, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
<3 the old sbc's. engines are idiot proof. and the ls is easily one of the greatest engines ever made, the reason they are in EVERYTHING, is because they are lightweight and make incredible power.

if you can't afford the ls, you can build an sbc for peanuts.

sorry can't say anything about ford engines.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mnracer550;1807029 said:
fords had a stake in mazda since 79' and has been developing cars with them since the 80's. so good point on that one. yes everyone know the ls is a great engine. but with the current ls craze going on a ls1/t55 shipped to my house is roughly 4gs. and there is a ton of lsx rx7s out there. i would appreciate if people would stay on topic here.
4k, that's it? I'd say go for it, especially if that comes with the T56 trans. Seriously, they're a great transmission, almost worth the price of admission on their own. I know it's insanely popular, but like has been mentioned, there is a good reason for that. ;)

Poodles;1807055 said:
Now if you build an all aluminum EFI ford motor.... ;)
I'm with Poodles on this one, have you considered a Coyote 5.0? 400+ in STOCK form. About damned time Ford caught up with the big boys...

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
wow, one person with some actual advice. Im not sure why the LSX is still being argued. Its not going in my car, a ford engine is as iv said multiple times. that is a very good suprapawaz, and u can find a 351w for cheap and easily. one thing i am worried about is making to much torque sinc ethe t5s like to grenade, especially 3rd. a little more reasearch last night and i found a ton of foxbody guys running in the 10s making 420whp on t67s at roughly 10psi on bone stock pan-to-intake manifold 302s. so a turbo setup is still in the back of my head.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
i think a SBC in a supra is much different. im replacing a blown up wankle that i dont wanna rebuild every 20k miles (saying i made the same smae power as my current goals) with engine that will be more reliable and produce great power. i guess i would compare it to a 1uz swap.