HELP! my engine warms up in reverse order

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
start-up idles around 1000 then when it hits temp goes to 1400???? im gonna go try to put on a different isc valve on it, just to see if it does anything. I have the n/a one on there iirc, but im not sure if that makes a difference. if anyone has any input let me know, i could use all the help i can get.

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
sounds liek a vacuum leak.get soem throttle body clean and spray around intake manifold/vacuum lines and see if idles fluctuates.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Do a boost leak check to be sure about your vac lines.

Check for codes, look for code 51 specifically

If code then your TPS is out of adjustment, refer to TSRM

If no code then:

Follow up by making sure your ISC clicks after you turn off the car. (i think it clicks 4 times)

Check the resistance of the ISC

CHeck the throttle linkage, make sure its not sticking

If that all passes check the timing and make sure its at 10*

If that passes pull off the ISC and check the 2 pieces underneath and clean them.

If the idle STILL persists after that, get back to us.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
1) Always start by checking your diagnostic trouble codes, link in my sig.

2) Get back to us.

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
k so i had code 22 and 51, fixed 22 but i believe the code 51 is due to not having the a/c plugged in, i'll plug it up and see if it clears. i just had it running so imma let it get cold tonight then try to start it and see what it does in the morning. isc and tps check out fine and i have no vac/boost leaks.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mk3 for life!;999002 said:
k so i had code 22 and 51, fixed 22 but i believe the code 51 is due to not having the a/c plugged in, i'll plug it up and see if it clears. i just had it running so imma let it get cold tonight then try to start it and see what it does in the morning. isc and tps check out fine and i have no vac/boost leaks.

:3d_frown:

reread my post and you will know what code 51 is regaurding

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mk3 for life!;999110 said:
in the tsrm it says code 51 can be caused by a/c electrical system or tps system and like i said the tps tested fine and is adjusted within specs, i guess the next thing to do is check the wiring and if not that then try another ecu i have an auto one that should work

:nono:

i don't remember which way turning it affects the voltage in a positive or negative way but turn it to each extreme with the jumper plug in and ignition ON (give it a few seconds and odds are one of the extreme points will cause 51 to go away as its a real time code)

we will see if its "within specs" as you say

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
OK I will go ahead an be a man and say it, IwantMKIII you were right and i was wrong. . .went out there took off the isc moved the tps a hair counterclockwise and code go bye bye. i guess i will know better next time that even though the resistance readings are in the green it still may not be right. thanks a ton you have been a great help,

-Travis

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mk3 for life!;999202 said:
OK I will go ahead an be a man and say it, IwantMKIII you were right and i was wrong. . .went out there took off the isc moved the tps a hair counterclockwise and code go bye bye. i guess i will know better next time that even though the resistance readings are in the green it still may not be right. thanks a ton you have been a great help,

-Travis

;) np

tip: just keep in mind, a lot of the very knowledgable "elders" on the site may have given up on you after you passed up a post like my first post, so in the future, don't be so quick to pass up some potentially very helpful info

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IwantMKIII;999274 said:
tip: just keep in mind, a lot of the very knowledgable "elders" on the site may have given up on you after you passed up a post like my first post, so in the future, don't be so quick to pass up some potentially very helpful info

This.

mk3 for life!

Project Soupracharged
yea i understand fully, i was just hoping that it wasnt my tps sensor, i never turn down any good ideas or tips, i never dismissed your information, i just found it hard to believe that even though all the ohms were good on the tps it can still be out of adjustment, even though i have built this car half a dozen times i still have alot to learn about it and will never pass on any kind of useful knowledge anyone has to give me