Help me paint my wheels!

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I recently acquired these wheels (thanks kwnate!) and now it's time for me to get off my ass and get them on the car. But they need to be white first!

DSC_5607.jpg

I'm going to use a real hvlp spray gun with a compressor so I can achieve the secondary goal of learning how to paint parts without using rattlecan. I just don't know the proper order of sanding and whatnot to make these wheels look good. Assuming no deep gouges or scratches in the wheels (but a few paint chips here and there), what grit sandpaper should I use, how many coats of what, and anything I should know about the differences between painting metal rims and plastic center caps. Hook a brutha up and I'll give you credit in the how-to that will come from this :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Clean them up real good with simple green, a wire brush and the garden hose.
When I painted my wheels, I sanded with 80/100/150, then went over them with a tack cloth.

Laid down light coats of primer, spraying in a random pattern, 3 total coats.

After that dried, I sprayed light coats of paint over the wheel, using a random pattern again (so as to avoid the "rattle can" look, which you aren't using, so you don't need the random pattern thing)

I let them dry overnight, then sprayed a few thin coats of clear over each wheel, allowing it to cure overnight again.

I'm by no means a professional painter, but my wheels came out mint!
I can't wait to see your progress, Dylan.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Make sure when you paint, its is not too cold...keep the temperature above 60 degrees.. primer the wheels and make sure it is completely dry before applying the main coat.
Each coat needs to dry completely or else it will start wrinkling.

noxide

Jul 8, 2005
conroe
www.noxide.com
After the primer dries i recommend scuffing it up just a little to help adhesion. Also you can wait about 45 min to an hour or whatever your flashtime is, and spray the clearcoat instead of waiting overnight for the paint to cure. OH and if you really want them perfect after you primer them, "MIST" on a black or dark spray paint and sand it untill the misted color is no longer there, that will get rid of any orange peel in the primer. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

also, the plastic can be done just like the metal.

noxide

Jul 8, 2005
conroe
www.noxide.com
If your not sure about sealer, your primer may also be a sealer, certain brands. and if you dont have a water trap, make sure you dont spray untill full of air, and stop before it gets low or water will blow out, and let it air back up. Its worth the wait. and if your clearcoat is not how you like it, you can always wetsand it and buff it and it should be as smooth as glass.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Autobody masters, Urethane primer(qaurt), 1/2pt of catalyst to go with it
1qt of nason 422-23 sealer, shake it up and spray it.
1 pt of basecoat or a urethane paint(durable also dont need clear but u can use it)
the of course a qt of clear. Autobody masters Urethane clear with catalyst

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I think everyone has covered it just be carefull on the sandpaper if you go to course no mater how much primer/paint/clear you use you will still see the sand marks. I personally would not use anything more than 150 or 180. Noxide is right save a step and buy a primer sealer. (nice to see you back noxide) After you get it done post up some pictures. Good luck!!!!!
Da Soup

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
The "other" forum (SF) is down right now, so I can't post the link. Do a search under my name for "wheel refinish" and you'll find a complete write-up with pics.

Ken