Help me decide 2JZ or 7M

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
jdub;1123756 said:
Ignorance is indeed curable...willful ignorance and stupidity on the other hand....

no one should ever be under estimated thats all i can say theirs sentra at my shop the brakes 122 in 1/4 a mile and all it is is a na neo 1.8 with a turbo kit
and no one ever expects it
for a 7m owner to down talk a j series engine witch are know for being able to maintain high amounts of boost and still keeps its reliability is just a joke

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Boost Lee;1123763 said:
SuperRunner: Very nice.

How's it feel on that setup? That would be the first time I've seen that...

I like it!

Jeff

Slow. That is why I had to add the nitrous:naughty:

1uz is too effecient for an M90. Even with the smallest pully possible I could only get 7psi out of the thing. Ran a 14.0 at 100mph with using nitrous AFTER I hit 2nd gear. Would just spin on my street tires anything before that. Probably run a 13.6, 13.7 on drag tires, and at sea level, it would EASILY be in the 12's. Thing about ROOTS style superchargers is elevation KILLS THEM. And our local track is at 4600ft.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
charlesshen;1123764 said:
no one should ever be under estimated thats all i can say theirs sentra at my shop the brakes 122 in 1/4 a mile and all it is is a na neo 1.8 with a turbo kit
for a 7m owner to down talk a j series engine witch are know for being able to maintain high amounts of boost and still keeps its reliability is just a joke

I don't think you're really getting the point here, Mr. charlesshen.

I (nor anyone else here) is questioning your shops "sentra that brakes 122 in the 1/4 mile"
(Wouldn't this pretty much ruin your calipers and rotors?) :nono:

And with a few exceptions, nobody here is DOWNTALKING a 7M.
Sure, a 7M may be an older motor that takes a little bit more to get up to par with a JZ, but by NO means does it mean it can't make big power.

YOU SIR, are the ignorant one.
"I'll drive to texas meets while you're throwing rods and getting bhg"
...That's about as ignorant as it gets. If I didn't know any better, I would've guessed or hoped you were only being sarcastic...But I'm afraid not.

Wake up call.

Jeff

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah

I think you have it wrong buddy, cause you are the joke <- I hope I don't get banned for that.::hang::

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Poodles;1123058 said:
:rofl: Yep, I'm an internet junkie right now cause I'm broke, jobless, and it's too damn hot out and I don't have everything I need to fix my A/C and can't afford the rest.

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!

Dude we're in TX What F'n Snow?? I'm just messing with you man. What parts do you need to finish your A/C and what is wrong with your car? I may have some spare A/C parts you can have or can source them. PM me.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
SuperRunner;1123768 said:
I think you have it wrong buddy, cause you are the joke <- I hope I don't get banned for that.::hang::

I don't have a very powerful 7M however I have put 30 passes on it and about 20k miles on a rebuild, beating on it and seeing how much it can take and it has been perfectly fine!! I have seen a lot of J series motors break as well, it's all about doing it right and getting the right mods at the right time.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
SuperRunner;1123749 said:
Supercharged is pretty sweet too. Here is one of my little side projects. BTW, for sale for $3500

eng1.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsI_y-6s254

:love:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL

Shut the hell up. Seriously.

No, stop - shut it.

You're not contributing a single thing to this discussion. You're babbling about something you clearly know little about. Go ask Mibrun how he feels about the 7M's reliability - http://www.youtube.com/user/mibrum. Ask Duane. Ask Nate.

Nobody is hating on the JZ or the M. The JZ is newer, but is not invulnerable. We've got guys on here RIGHT NOW with rod knocking JZ motors. No engine survives much stupidity.

As for your trolling, your ignorance of rhetoric speaks volumes in of itself.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok sports fans...enough bashing each other.

Thread goes back on topic or it gets locked.

If you have a comment, it needs to pertain on the pros or cons of either motor.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :D

Almost reminds me of the 2J fanboys on SF that have never touched a supra or their motors in their life...

I think the 7M gets a bad rep because it's usually high milage on our cars and the 1J and 2J's have lower milage. As the MKIV's are getting up there in age and milage even they are having issues. You cna't expect a motor with rediculous miles and questionable maintenance to handle huge power...

Has the OP even stated what he had laying around yet?

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
frontierguy25;1123785 said:
I don't have a very powerful 7M however I have put 30 passes on it and about 20k miles on a rebuild, beating on it and seeing how much it can take and it has been perfectly fine!! I have seen a lot of J series motors break as well, it's all about doing it right and getting the right mods at the right time.

I have blown two HG on 2J's. There was of course a good reason...100% being MY FAULT!!! I have owned about 10 running 7M's and have have 2 BHG's. Again, MY FAULT.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
Think of it this way you could have a built up 7m motor. For probably the same or a little less than what a 2jz swap would cost you.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Early 7M-GTE (1986.5 to around 1989-1990):
Pros:
6M crankshaft - spins up quickly
Easiest to find
91mm stroke - makes more torque at a given rpm

Cons:
Head gasket issues - a metal head gasket + ARP studs solves this problem and makes the gasket stronger than a stock JZ (JZ does not come with ARP studs from the factory)
6M crankshaft - is known to be 'harsher' due to not being fully counterweighted from the factory
Generally high mileage

Late 7M-GTE (late 1989+)
Pros:
Beefier block than the early 7M
7M Crankshaft - fully counterweighted
Stronger bottom end (very similar to the JZ)
91mm stroke = more torque at a given rpm range

Cons:
Head gasket issues - a metal head gasket + ARP studs solves this problem and makes the gasket stronger than a stock JZ (JZ does not come with ARP studs from the factory)
7M crankshaft - Heavier than the 6M, so the engine does not spin up as fast

JDM 1JZ-GTE
Pros:
Extremely good looking engine
Factory metal gaskets
Short stroke (71mm) allows for extremely high rpm range
Head flows better than the 7M, stock for stock

Cons:
Cost (half cut + any missing parts + wiring harness)
Parts availability (This is not as bad as many make it out, but 1JZ parts are not as easy to find in Alachua, FL as 7M parts)
71mm stroke means less torque at a given rpm

2JZ-GTE
Pros:
86mm stroke means more torque than a 1JZ, but less than a 7M
Factory metal gaskets
Head flows better than the 7M, stock for stock
Parts availability - I CAN find parts in Alachua, FL for the 2JZ ;)

Cons:
Cost
86mm stroke means less torque at a given rpm

Cost Analysis
7M-GTE
Generally 150k+ miles
Very worn out
Often found with a blown head gasket

Stock Rebuild
Pistons/Rings: $120
Machine work: $237 ($75 deck the head/block, and $90 bore/hone for pistons $72 to recon rods)
Rods/Mains/Thrust bearings: $125
ARP Head Studs: $140
Cometic MHG: $140
Valve Seals: $50
Valve Springs CCA-975-12 x 2: $70

Considering you doing your own labor rebuilding your own engine, you can have a stock, zero mile 7M for under $900. The stock-style cast pistons will handle 350rwhp reliably, and the new metal head gasket + arp studs, reconditioned rods, and CCA springs will let you have a nice, solid motor for your Supra.

Performance Rebuild
Pistons/Rings: $400 (Probe Forged pistons from Driftmotion)
Rods: $450 (Eagle Rods)
Lower End Machine work: $1500 (This is what I paid, for absolutely top notch work. No piece of metal was left untouched)
Upper End Machine work: $1000 (Valve job + mild porting)
Rods/Mains/Thrust bearings: $125
ARP Head Studs: $130
HKS Stopper MHG: $320
Valve Seals: $50
Valve Springs CCA-975-12 x 2: $70

Figure about $5000 for a complete, forged, bad ass 7M-GTE. This motor will handle more power than you should have on the street. Fully forged internals, completely zero balanced rotating assembly, no problems to extended rpm ranges. I would consider this motor to be BETTER than a 2JZ, in all ways. Same head flow, forged vs hypereutectic pistons, better forged rods, completely balanced rotating assembly, etc

Certainly, you can fall anywhere in between. And if you want to get REALLY crazy, you can sink another $5000 into the engine with ease. ;)

Also, I recommend you do the above with a Late model 7M (with 7M crankshaft. Lighten the crank if you want to spin like a 1JZ with the torque of the 7M ;))

1JZ-GTE Swap from Halfcut
Generally 30-60k miles on the halfcut
Shipping can be a pain in the rear
Getting the Halfcut generally insures you are getting everything you need to swap to a 1JZ-GTE in your USDM MKIII Supra.
Turbos often die

Straight swap
$2800 + s/h from Driftmotion
$350 - Exhaust
$0 - Intercooler + piping is often in the clip

Figure on spending around $3500-$3800 for the swap. You buy the clip in one large purchase, but then you need to extend the harness, and do basic maintenance. When you are done, you have a 30-60k mile motor.

And pray your stock twin turbos don't go - you'd be looking at an additional $700-$1000 to take care of that problem ;)

You also have stock hypereutectic pistons, with a metal head gasket. You are pretty much where the stock 7M rebuild will leave you, except the 7M doesn't look anywhere near as good, and the 7M would also have NO miles on it. The 1JZ will have however many miles of unknown care on it that the clip comes with. New motor that you know inside and out, vs unknown condition 1JZ?

Not to mention the extra $2000 I'm putting into the 7M at this point. Draw your own conclusions - that is my thought on the 1JZ vs 7M debate, and all I care to say on it.

2JZ-GTE Swap
2JZ gets lots of attention
Often with 60k+ miles
$2300 for the engine from Driftmotion
I *think* the $2300 gets you the harness/ecu as well - have to ask Aaron about that ;)
$350 - If you are automatic, you need a new transmission (tranny often comes in the 1JZ clips) - or at least, if you are 5 speed, a new JZ bellhousing.
$650 - Intercooler and piping
$350 - Exhaust

After misc hoses, belts, A/C setup, etc - you'll be looking at $4000-$5000 to get the 2JZ-GTE into your USDM MKIII Supra. Compared to the Forged 7M, you'll be lacking the forged internals, and zero miles of the new 7M. For what? 5 mm less stroke, and 4mm more bore? Big deal, I say. The new forged 7M will handle just as much power as the stock 2JZ does, and then some.

DISCLAIMER: No, I did not consider things such as NA-T swaps, or running the 2J on the stock 7M electronics, and you'll see I left headroom in the pricing to consider miscellaneous items that will be needed as you go along.

The fact of the matter is, the JZ motor will die if neglected. We've got rod knocking JZ motors out there, and we've got rod knocking 7Ms out there.

Nothing replaces good maintenance on an engine.

Those are all of my thoughts on the 1JZ vs 7M vs 2JZ debate. For the money, I believe the best value is a built 7M on the street. For a race-only application, with unlimited money, I'd go 2JZ. Go price forged 2JZ pistons/rods vs 7M forged pistons/rods. A lot of the guys with MKIVs have the money to throw at the engines, and the companies make a killer profit off of them.

The MKIII guys aren't willing to throw cubic dollars at their cars (for the most part - looking at you, Duane, Ian, Nate, etc ;)) so we have to get companies to build us things in quantity, or find businesses that are willing to work on less of a profit margin for us.

That is damned hard to do. So far, we've gotten Probe involved with forged pistons. We've got Energy Suspension with poly bushings. Andy (ARZ Performance) with his KILLER 4 piston big brake kit.

Overall, we work at our cars as a community. Few of us are willing to single handily pay for R&D on parts - but as a community, we can sometimes get things done (as evidenced by the pistons + bushings so far)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The fact of the matter is...

If you PROPERLY build a 7M, and are smart with it (Maintenanace, Tune, etc),
The results are fascinating.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can stand on two legs defending against this.

Of course, if you build it right with enough money, ANY motor can hold it's own...
But not many 20 year old motors are capable of making over 750rwhp on factory internals.

For you 7M haters...Is this really not enough evidence that the 7M can be an absolutely AMAZING powerhouse when it's not in the hands of a broke teenager?

As I sit here within ownership of a 1JZ, I can still proudly say I'm a 7M lover.

Just because a large majority of 7M MKIII owners are young, broke & uneducated doesn't mean a damned thing. It just means that MKIII's are afforable enough for low-income individuals, and given it's a 1xx,xxx+ 20 year old motor...
Shit is going to break. Simple as that.

Also, For the love of the representing 7M Supra community,
Please get those damned, "7M Free Zone since xxxx" sayings out of your Signature.

IMO, It only shows ignorance and is a bit aggrevating to me, if you ask.
Besides, I'm sure your 7M didn't blow up "for no reason".

Stop blaming your motor for your mistakes. ;)

Jeff

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dow - Nice write-up...one thing, iirc the 7M crank is in the '90-'92 motors. That crank can also be sourced from a '90+ Cressida with the 7M engine. A 7M crank out of a NA motor is actually a better choice...it's lived a bit more cushy life ;)

What you are going to see as the 1/2JZ swaps become more common in the Mk III world is rod knock and the other problems you see in the 7M and, for the same reasons. The owners don't take care of the engine...and, what I've seen, it doesn't matter what social demographic either. Guys with more $$$ than mechanical knowledge rod knock a motor just as fast as anyone else. People get the idea a JZ series motor is "bullet proof" and neglect it (don't check the oil) with the same result.

One more time...watch the 7M vs 1/2JZ mudslinging. No longer acceptable in this thread...keep it civil and based on fact.

88jspec

By any Means Necessary...
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
IJ.;1122908 said:
Damn never thought people actually read what I post......

Not sure if I can deal with that sort of pressure.... :aigo:

IJ you are the man, we love you for all you do....

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
jdub;1124062 said:
Dow - Nice write-up...one thing, iirc the 7M crank is in the '90-'92 motors. That crank can also be sourced from a '90+ Cressida with the 7M engine. A 7M crank out of a NA motor is actually a better choice...it's lived a bit more cushy life ;)

What you are going to see as the 1/2JZ swaps become more common in the Mk III world is rod knock and the other problems you see in the 7M and, for the same reasons. The owners don't take care of the engine...and, what I've seen, it doesn't matter what social demographic either. Guys with more $$$ than mechanical knowledge rod knock a motor just as fast as anyone else. People get the idea a JZ series motor is "bullet proof" and neglect it (don't check the oil) with the same result.

One more time...watch the 7M vs 1/2JZ mudslinging. No longer acceptable in this thread...keep it civil and based on fact.

completely agree!

i like to point this out when people ask me how to swap in a JZ and how my 7m was running fine and i had already done the headgasket before it had a chance to blow etc.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
look at all the fun I missed!

OP.

Why limit the choices to these two engines?

Why not add 1uz/2uz from Toyota? Both weigh less than either of the two boat anchors you are asking options for and just as the 2j, They are evolution in engine tech. Hell even the LS7 engine too.

btw on the 7m/Xj front. How much money you got for either? Power will cost you regardless of the engine moniker.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
if money is not a question then this should be over with. if you don't mind spending double the money then go for it. because they won't cost the "same".

we all know if we could we would. who doesn't want the supra god father motor.

why do you need someone else to make the decision for you anyway. its your car. do what you want. 2jz has best of 7m and 1jz. that is how i look at it. it just more of a hassel and cost more money that is why their are more 7m/1j swaps.

these threads are lame.

FUCK.