HELP!! Good Battery, No Start !!

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Well not hard to explain this one. I checked the battery and it shows 12.75 V..I turn the key, and nothing lights up...it's like I didnt turn the key at all. Once I did get a very dim dome light. PLZ help ! There is a turbo timer on the car, it has been fine and I have not touched any wiring, and the car was fine all day until I got in it to come home, as expected.. I had to get a jump.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
well I would say that is correct, but I just put my fully charged jump box on there, and i still have nothing. This does'nt look good. I'd like to know wtf happened.

Last edited:

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
roadboy;1475564 said:
when u put the key on acc does buttons/things light up? and then when you turn it it turns off everything?

no, I have nothing, it's like their is no battery even on the car. I currently have the trim panel underneath the steering wheel pulled off, and driver's side kick panel pulled back, and I am looking and checking fuses too. The fuse diagram on the back of the fuse cover has a "power C.B." located in the lower right corner...however, I cant seem to find it on the fuse panel itself. It might be tripped. Is it under that harness that plugs into the bottom of the fuse panel or what ?

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
jdub;1475607 said:
Check the 100A Alt fuse in the engine bay box.

I feel like a retard, I can't seem to pull it out....It appears to have a red dot/hash mark on it.

supraman7mgte;1475610 said:
Does the relay click at all?

I dunno, I am deaf in my right ear though. I have trouble hearing some types of sounds.

kotu100;1475613 said:
corrosion on the batt posts?
First thing I checked..

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
kotu100;1475641 said:
lol dont feel dumb, you cant pull it out. its bolted in. gotta get at it from the bottom of the fuse box

ok got the bottom off, and I see the 2 white wires going into the 100A fuse, cant get it out.... there is no voltage on either one.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
sounds like no voltage from the battery, double check all the connections again.

possibly the factory alarm going haywire?

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
How is the main cable coming from the battery to the fuse box?? It does have a fusable link in it. Mine broke and I was going nuts til I saw it spark. The was broken cuz the PO didnt have a battery tie down. Didnt break from a load. So check that wire.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
kotu100;1475675 said:
sounds like no voltage from the battery, double check all the connections again.

possibly the factory alarm going haywire?

connections are good, and what do you mean alarm going haywire?.. it disables the whole car ?

turboguy327;1475698 said:
How is the main cable coming from the battery to the fuse box?? It does have a fusable link in it. Mine broke and I was going nuts til I saw it spark. The was broken cuz the PO didnt have a battery tie down. Didnt break from a load. So check that wire.

It's good

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
quick update, I don't know why, but I just noticed that the security light in the dash was flashing. I opened the door, and the light went out. Car still has no power, but still have good voltage on the battery.

pablo94sc

Dec 16, 2009
TN
Don't want to start a new thread since my issue is similar...

Car ('89 n/a) failed to start when I left the store shopping over the holidays. Voltage showed 12V+ on the gauge and all acc worked great, but when I turned the key I noticed a massive voltage draw (everything goes dim, dash clock goes out, volt gauge dropped to ~6V) and there was nothing. No click or anything. After about 20 minutes of fiddling* with no change, I called my friend to bring some jumper cables and come pick me up. While I was waiting I tried cranking again a few more times for giggles and on about the 5th time, the darn thing started right up. WTH?!??

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

*Troubleshooting steps I took -

1. Locked/unlocked the car a few times (in case I tripped the factory alarm)
2. Checked battery connections and fuses
3. Turned off all accessories I could
4. Re-checked battery conenctions, alt connections, etc.
5. Bounced/rocked the car a few times (in case a wire connection was loose somewhere I couldn't see/reach)

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
Could be a few things, if all the lights and accessory crap is working descently on the inside then it might be the alarm, try taking out the dome light fuse from the box under the hood and start it, that should disable it. If it's dim and fading check the amperage to the battery as well as fluid levels in battery.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
my battery post clamps would be tight but as soon as i would start the car the power would die completely. test the power and ground cables.