Help; excessive crank case oil pressure

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Guys,

We are stumped. Just installed a new rebuilt short block and rebuilt head with MHG, ARPs, new oil pump, etc. It runs fine and sounds good but will not boost and blows oil from the valve cover PCV into the intercooler. It also has a new Turbo we have checked twice and we have checked the entire PCV system. Could something be hooked up wrong?

Thanks,

Luigi:aigo:

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Doward;1319720 said:
Rings not properly seated.

If this motor is fresh, how was the break-in done?

Drove it per the break in procedure recommended on the forum. No boost for 500 miles. Started to crank up the boost to 8 PSI and now have a huge oil leak going into the intercooler. No smoke from the tail pipe, Turbo has been rebuilt and rechecked, PCV system checked and re-checked. Only ran for a very short 10 mile run and then the oil was changed and filter to Mobile 1 and then changed again after break in.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
grimreaper;1319733 said:
i would think doward hit the nail on the head...

If the rings were not seated correctly wouldn't it be blowing oil out the tail pipe? No smoke at all from the tail pipe. I used a 1.2mm HKS MHG, could the clearance be too tight causing too much pressure?

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Luigi;1319734 said:
If the rings were not seated correctly wouldn't it be blowing oil out the tail pipe? No smoke at all from the tail pipe. I used a 1.2mm HKS MHG, could the clearance be too tight causing too much pressure?

Also, the oil pressure gage reads 40 psi as it should?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The problem is not the oil pressure, it's the fact that your cylinders aren't sealing during combustion.

That means one of a very few things:
- cracked head (VERY tough to do without breaking the water jackets as well)
- holes in the pistons
- blowby past the rings
- valves not sealing properly

In a nutshell, that's it.

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
GrimJack;1319744 said:
The problem is not the oil pressure, it's the fact that your cylinders aren't sealing during combustion.

That means one of a very few things:
- cracked head (VERY tough to do without breaking the water jackets as well)
- holes in the pistons
- blowby past the rings
- valves not sealing properly

In a nutshell, that's it.

Well, the only item I have not checked yet is the cylinder head pressure. Looks like that is the next step. Any other suggestions?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Do a compression test.

Write down the numbers for cylinders 1-6 here

Go back and do the compression test the exact same way, but squirt just a little 20w50 oil into the chambers and do it again.

Did the compression numbers come up? Then the rings aren't sealing. ;)

Luigi

Luigi
Dec 5, 2006
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Doward;1319753 said:
Do a compression test.

Write down the numbers for cylinders 1-6 here

Go back and do the compression test the exact same way, but squirt just a little 20w50 oil into the chambers and do it again.

Did the compression numbers come up? Then the rings aren't sealing. ;)

Thanks Doward!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The compression numbers ARE going to come up no matter what, so dont worry yourself when they do, its just HOW MUCH they come up that you need to watch out for.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Luigi's right, how can you have ring blow by, yet no smoke out of the exhaust? If oil blows from the crankcase past the rings, it goes straight to the combustion chamberto the intake and exhaust valves. Also, when you pull a Spark Plug, they're clean.

The turbocharger side is what keeps filling up on his intercooler, so it has to either be coming from the valve cover vents, or from the turbocharger? Where else could it come from?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
valve cover vents = blow by. unless he put smaller lines on the vents to TB and pre turbo port... the motor is pushing the oil into the lines. My 98,000 mile bottom end leaves the pcv lines bone dry until i crank the boost up to 15psi or more... (just for perspective)