Help: Car shakes/vibrates after clutch install!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I recently fixed up my Supra, and dropped the transmission to do a clutch change. I got the F1 racing stage one clutch in there right now, flywheel was resurfaced, new pilot and throwout bearings as well as the clutch and pressure plate (F1 kit), After installation the idle is fine at around 7-800 rpm, but when you start revving the motor to about 1600+ RPM you get a noticeable vibration, whether it be the clutch pedal down or not, the vibration does NOT get worse as RPM increases, stays steady, could anyone help me figure out what could be the issue, as well as any possible fixes to it? Ive searched online and they said pinpoint where the unbalanced part of the Pressure plate is (?) and add washers on the bolt on that particular side to balance the rotation of the crank but its a rather time consuming and tedious process, I don't want to drop the tranny again nor do i want to damage anything to the motor, it never did this before i changed the clutch, if anyone can shine light on this, please let me know. Thanks

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
Well i would consider it a safety issue... Have you ever seen what a clutch explosion will do... I have first hand.

A friend of mine lost a good portion of his foot to one.

If it is vibrating it is close to breaking.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I agree, the proper way to do it would be to get the assembly balanced, but that shouldn't be necessary (the parts should all be zero balanced)

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
How did you drop the transmission without taking out the motor? I'm just asking cause im doing my clutch in the spring.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tyang82;1901394 said:
How did you drop the transmission without taking out the motor? I'm just asking cause im doing my clutch in the spring.

Follow the TSRM and have the right tools (get it high enough in the air and a transmission jack works wonders)

Maple191;1901410 said:
Access to a hoist.

Engine hoist? Not needed...

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
tyang82;1901394 said:

I'm doing my clutch this weekend, you don't need to pull the motor. Just get tall enough jack stands

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
OfnaRcR4;1901459 said:
You dont need to pull the engine at all. Done it on a garage floor multiple times myself.

same as him. ive pulled a few transmissions from off my back.lol is it fun, no.haha but you gotta deal with what you have.:)

justintime

Dec 4, 2012
alb. nm
I used a f1 clutch in my thunderbird once, everything looked fine while installing it, once in, I had the same problem as you. I pulled it all back out and low and behold the springs in the disk where actually hiting the flywheel bolts. I would recomend pulling and checking it.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I made sure to install the flat side against the flywheel, I even spun the disc against it to make sure nothing rubs against each other, it just idles around 1800 with a light vibration. The chassis yes, but the motor and trans? no.