Heater Tap slightly fractured, stuck in a dilemma

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hey Guys,

My Heater TAP is slightly fractured where if you don't have the heater on in the car it will leak small droplets over a day. I have been monitoring it and I did do a thorough inspection and it's not the hoses that are bust but the actual plastic DENSO heater tap itself.

I would like to know what the case would be if I was to put a connector to bypass that heater tap, so in essence coolant will be flowing out of the block, into the firewall and back out again. Will it mean that while that measure is in place I will never be able to run cool air (as hot will be constantly circulating with an open tap)? Am I right in saying this??

I had this crop up about a year ago, tightened the hose and then never saw the symptom till now. I am keen to get the part going to look around a few wreckers first as from Toyota they want $347 trade price for the plastic unit itself.

This is for a RHD JDM MA70

Pic below of the unit giving me some grief, and diagram from cygnus.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Lucky For you! I remembered this!

getimage.php

Go a Parts store and get a heater control valve for a 1995-2000 Toyota Corolla, US Spec.

RockAuto.com has it for 42 US bucks!

go to retailmenot.com for 5% off too! I just found it out!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Also Going off a Hunch here.

Since your car is RHD and Mine Is LHD and I need/used a 89 Corolla Valve for a LHD maybe you can check into getting a 89 Corolla valve off the shelf from your dealer, my hunch is it's already inverted. All you have to do is swap levers. The 1995-2000 didn't work for my car because it was inverted and will work for yours. But the 89 Corolla Valve is right for my car and i believe it'll be right for your RHD car because the heater valve is on the other side and toyota must have inverted the valve on RHD cars! Any Auto parts store should be able to get you a heater valve too!

Best of luck!

-Sumeet!

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Thanks heaps Zumtizzle, im going to temporarily get an elbow bypass and research this Toytoa Corolla heater as it would save me over $300.... what still stuns me is the heater tap is made of plastic...??? for something that experiences high temperatures I just find that a little odd...

You're a legend with that advice dude!! Really appreciate it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A bit more information for you as well.

That valve is only closed when you have the heater control on FULL cold. The rest of the time it is open.

So, bypassing it with an elbow isn't really going to have much of an effect, unless of course you drive around with the climate control set to full cold all the time.

PS: There is a metal body one out there somewhere, if you ever track down what vehicle it was for, let me know, because I want one too.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
GrimJack;1021980 said:
PS: There is a metal body one out there somewhere, if you ever track down what vehicle it was for, let me know, because I want one too.

There is one. I know of. It works off of pressure instead of vaccume so you just flip the wiring around so it works off of the toyota vsv. It's brass (It's from some american car and JetJock Menctioned it). and in my opinion stay with the toyota plastic it lasted this long and it'll last just as long. If theres one that goes on the toyota housing i'm all ears!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There is a metal bodied Toyota one. I heard about it from Jeff Lange, but he can't recall what Toyota it came from.

I've heard theories that it either came from an earlier year car, pre-80s, or a similar year pickup. I don't have access to a Toyota parts catalog... and I've never been into Toyotas other than Supras and a single '82 Celica.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
GrimJack;1022062 said:
There is a metal bodied Toyota one. I heard about it from Jeff Lange, but he can't recall what Toyota it came from.

I've heard theories that it either came from an earlier year car, pre-80s, or a similar year pickup. I don't have access to a Toyota parts catalog... and I've never been into Toyotas other than Supras and a single '82 Celica.

If you find about about it let me know, if we find one for a car here, all he'll have to do is order one for a toyota RHD equalvalent. :)

50 bux for a plastic valve isn't cool!

It's highly possible. Heater Valves are standard parts and toyotas use all use the same size heater hoses.