heater core

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
Last year , my heat for some reason stopped workin , didnt think it was the heater core couse there was no leaking , till this summer my foot slipped off the gas pedal couse there was coolant on it , I rerouted it sooo it wouldnt go thru the heater core , I was lookin on tsrm online n I cant find no removal or install for a heater core , any help would be great !!!! thanks

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
IJ. said:
Chucky: LOL step #1: take a valium ;)

lmao , yea i could use 1 right about now wth this dam thing ... the funny thing is I never realy attempted to even try n fix the dam thing :3d_frown: , i figure i should take care of it now unless i wanna freeze my ass off

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I first got mine I was drive back for Sydney at 120 kph/75 mph in winter with no heater, it was early morning and the windscreen started to mist a bit so I hit the washers..... WRONG! bzzzzzzzzzzz

Instant frozen coating!

I think someone here posted a step by step how to get it out maybe in the FAQ's.
<ninja edit>
See Shaeff's post :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i posted this link in the "informative links" sticky at the top of the 7M Tech section:

http://duanesmith.nstemp.net/autoheater.html

if you dont get right to the site, just hit the refresh button on your browser. it's there, but sometimes it doesnt load correctly.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
for some reason, it won't load now. the site just says something about free webspace, and that duanesmith.com is available for rent. but i was JUST on that site today! i dont know, maybe it's my computer....

keep trying it though.

-shaeff

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
shaeff said:
for some reason, it won't load now. the site just says something about free webspace, and that duanesmith.com is available for rent. but i was JUST on that site today! i dont know, maybe it's my computer....

keep trying it though.

-shaeff

lol, i just tryed n got the same thing

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, I did mine last weekend, I'll give a quick walkthrough on the order I took things out of the car. If you can find the TSRM here for the 90 Supra, look under the Body chapter at the Safety Pad, that is the dash components (not including the heater). If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll put up the pics of what it looks like without the dash.

Here is the order I removed things:
1 Drivers seat
2 Instrument Center Cluster Finish Panel w/ ashtray (covers radio & climate controls)
3 Console Box (between seats)
4 Shifter
5 Instrument Panel #1 under cover (under steering wheel)
6 LH and RH Cowl Trim (kick panels on left & right)
7 Instrument Lower finish panel (has switches for Fog lights etc.)
8 Unbolt the Steering Column from the brace behind the dash (2 14mm nuts on either side of wheel just behind ignition )
9 Instrument Cluster Finish Panel
10 Radio
11 Heater / AC Control
12 Instrument Guage Cluster (unclip the speedo cable from the dash)
13 Instrument panel #2 under cover (beneath glove box)
14 Glove compartment door
15 Glove compartment panel (interior of glove compartment)
16 ECU

At this point, mark what connectors should be coming out where (take pictures if you can)

The next item to come out is the dash itself. There is a nut or two at the back of the dash behind the guages way in the back. There are also some plastic guide pins in the edge of the dash under the windshield that pop into place so be careful pulling out the dash, just pull straight foreward. If you angle it when trying to remove it they may break. Also be on the lookout for some electrical connectors on the passenger side for some sensors and such (temp sensors for the heat/ac system, both above the glove compartment).

Once the dash is out, note where the wiring harness runs (again, take pics if you can) as it must be moved to remove the brace in front of the heater box.

The heater box is the one on the left, but you need to loosen the center section to be able to slide it out (careful, it is the AC so don't pull too hard on it). Once it is out, pull the heater core out of the top (I had to remove most of the screws holding it in) or you can change the pipes coming out without removing it (there are some o-rings that seal the pipes to the core).

When reassembling, the biggest thing is getting the wiring harness back in place and making sure to get everything hooked up. I messed up and didn't hook up the connection to the heater box and had to climb under the dash once it was reassembled to hook it up.

Overall, I spent about 1 1/2 to 2 hours getting the dash out, another 1/2 hour playing with the heater core and another 2 hours on reassembly. Again, take picture if possible, thats how I figured out I didn't hook up the electrical to the heater box as I couldn't remember doing anything with some connectors.

Hope this helps.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
hmm. when i did mine for the first time, it took me like two hours TOTAL. but i work very quickly and efficiently. i set myself up for a job before i perform it.

i changed it again just a few weeks ago. it took 50 minutes, total. (changed it because one of the joints started leaking)

however, that is an excellent post!

-shaeff

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
thanks maroon88, that sound like u went all out if u ask me ! lol , i was reading somthing online n they said after i pull that big old white thing behind my glove box my heater core should be right there

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
shaeff said:
hmm. when i did mine for the first time, it took me like two hours TOTAL. but i work very quickly and efficiently. i set myself up for a job before i perform it.

i changed it again just a few weeks ago. it took 50 minutes, total. (changed it because one of the joints started leaking)

however, that is an excellent post!

-shaeff

Shaeff : now im not lookin to take out the whole dash , what was the process u did , like did u work your way there from the glovebox ?? couse thats what i was thinking would be the easiest way to get to it w/o taking out the whole dash

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, you HAVE to take out the entire dash. :( there's no way to do it with the dashboard in the car. i've attached a pic of my car 3 weeks ago, when i did the heater core.

YOU will NOT remove the A/C evaporator box. you should just loosen it. i removed mine because i took out my A/C. (and put the actual box part back in to use as a heating duct.

the small box with the two pipes i drew is the heater core. see attached pic.

(by the way, my car has a full interior again, nice gray cloth. :))

-shaeff

Attachments

• heatercoreloc..JPG
    heatercoreloc..JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 56

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ. thanks! :) it works damn well, until i take a hard corner. i usually keep it where my TEMS buttons used to be. :)

-shaeff

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not as fast as I used to be and it was the first time have removed the dash so I went slow so I didn't screw something up. The whole time I was doing it, I kept thinking that damn heater core was the first part that touched the assembly line. I'm glad its done since we had some freezing rain last night while I was at a friends house.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Maroon88 said:
I'm not as fast as I used to be and it was the first time have removed the dash so I went slow so I didn't screw something up. The whole time I was doing it, I kept thinking that damn heater core was the first part that touched the assembly line. I'm glad its done since we had some freezing rain last night while I was at a friends house.
The heater core is suspended by a robotic arm then they build the entire car around it!