Headlight/turn signal combination switch

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
Alright guys, so here's the problem. A tab in the combination switch just broke and I cannot turn on the head lights. I read through this thread because I searched ( :) )

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23511&highlight=broken+headlight+switch

I learned that in order to fix the problem the ENTIRE thing needs to be replaced, not just one part. I figured it would be a GREAT opportunity to get an 89 steering wheel. As of now I am having trouble removing the steering wheel. I removed the 3 bolts that are behind the wheel already, and it still doesn't budge.

-Justin

1987 AT NA.

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
Supra steering wheels can be removed quite easily with an inexpensive puller, the type which you thread 2 bolts into the threaded holes which are directly across from each other, then start tightening the puller against the hub. ( Of course the center holding nut has to first be removed) doesnt take much force tightening and the wheel pops off. Prior to aquiring a puller, I used to remove the nut, set the adjuster on the steering column to where you could move it in and out and then pull out HARD several times. After breaking a few turn signal combos, I QUIT removing steering wheels this way and purchased a puller

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've had three of the blinker switches break on me. I just recently had a guy from here buy one from TooStand and he's sending it to my house to replace another one that I bought from him.

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
In USA Supras I have only seen one style 89 wheel and it is regular 3 spoke NON airbag Black ONLY. First air bag wheel was 90, but I believe the 89 wheel is the most popular of any year and I have seen 89's put on EVERY year. A "mint" 89 steering wheel is worth 2-3 times a 90-92. As far as the signal / wiper combo 89 is again a unique year. 87-88's wont work, 90-92's wont work.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
my wiper side is broken. I have to fiddle with it to get my rear wiper to start or stop because part of the switch came loose. Instead of rotating and clicking, the whole damn thing just turns freely. I have NO feel for where the on/off/intermittant/pump selections are... so i have to fiddle with it to center it and keep from burning out my washer pump or running the rear wiper. (bleh)

I'm fairly sure the left side is OK though.

I could actually use whatever will fit a pre 89 (i have a 1986.5) if anyone readin' this has got something. i'll probably post a want ad though. I just wanted to voice that its a problem with mine too!

although i just realized I did already, in that thread you found... TWO YEARS AGO. sheesh. I'm slow.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
too_stand;1150101 said:
In USA Supras I have only seen one style 89 wheel and it is regular 3 spoke NON airbag Black ONLY. First air bag wheel was 90, but I believe the 89 wheel is the most popular of any year and I have seen 89's put on EVERY year. A "mint" 89 steering wheel is worth 2-3 times a 90-92. As far as the signal / wiper combo 89 is again a unique year. 87-88's wont work, 90-92's wont work.

So you're saying that if i wanted an 89 steering wheel i have to get the 87-88 combo switch?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It has to do with the cruise control. Your year has the activation switch on the left of the wheel, and an 89 has it on the wheel itself. The activation switch was replaced with a coin holder in 89's and then with the dimmer switch on 90+'s...

itll fit fine, but you won't have working cruise control.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
Beat me to Lange's writeup. It was very helpful for me.

I ended up using an 89 combo switch with the 89 steering wheel on my 88. Everything plugged right up and the cruise control works. I use the button on the dash to turn the cruise on and off. The rest of the buttons on the steering wheel work fine.