headlight headache

flyspyder55

Jap Works
Jun 11, 2005
florida
god please someone help.

ive got this supra here. we bought it as a daily driver for my wife a couple months ago.

when you turn the headlights on, the lights come up like there suposed to, but no lights.''

if you trigger the relay manually, the lights come on but dim.

so the relay works, its getting power.

ive switched relays 3 times now. all the same. so the wireing from the switch to the relay must have a short or break somewhere.

ive traced the wires from the switch, green/white, green/yellow, green/black, and red/white, to the plug in under the steering column, where they change to (corresponding) green/orange, green/red, green/black, purple/white.

but the harness coming from under the fender has only the fgreen and white, and 3 green/black, and they dont run to the relay box. they run forward where the lights are.

someone please help as i am lost. is there another connector or something under the dash where the wire colors are changing? i understand some of that needs to go straight to the headlights for the motors, but wheres the wire that actually triggers the relay?

please help as her car is out of commission at night and in the rain (and weve had a week of straight rain with this hurricane)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Retractor Control Relay under the dash, replace it. Had the same issue and would have to jump the relay under the hood and then I only had high beams.

It's a blue box about the size of a pack of cigs, sorry for the blurry pic, under the dash sucks.
p1113255_1.jpg

flyspyder55

Jap Works
Jun 11, 2005
florida
i replaced the retractor relay, the corner lights work, but thats it, still no foglights and no headlights. IJ what grounds should i be checking for? the 2 white wires that come out of the relay box in the engine bay are grounded well. i took some sandpaper to the contacts, still no go

flyspyder55

Jap Works
Jun 11, 2005
florida
i figured it would be around the big plastic connector, but where is the ground attached to the chassis. all the wires look fine on that connector

flyspyder55

Jap Works
Jun 11, 2005
florida
theres a white 4 wire plug under the column as well thats not connected to anything. any ideas on what that would be? i cant see a female side connector for that to plug into

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ive had headlight headaches for a while. Is there a way to just jump them so they come on whenever the car is on. Or a simple wire diagram to install my own switch to bypass all the factory relays/switches lol.

flyspyder55

Jap Works
Jun 11, 2005
florida
what the white plug is a ground?

you can jump the relay with a switch, thats how this car was when i bought it, but the headlights were still hella dim

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
it could be the combonation switch itself. on my first sup the horn and a few other things would not work, changed the combo switch and the problem was solved..
flyspyder55;1114865 said:
what the white plug is a ground?

you can jump the relay with a switch, thats how this car was when i bought it, but the headlights were still hella dim