Head removal question

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdmfreak;1812242 said:
Lol its been smoking for a while and I Had about a quart and a half of oil in my intercooler..... thought it was bhg:/ lol

Sent from my C771

LOL mine burnt right through the piston and under boost was pumping the pan into the PCV then filling the IC ;)

I drove it the 50Km's home from the Dyno it was fine if you didn't boost, I slowed going through a shopping strip and nailed it for the James Bond Smoke screen effect :runaway:

There was probably 2 litres in the IC by the time I got it home!

burnt2.jpg

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Thanks ij for the science lesson :)

Hahaha I just got the laugh of my life ... my gf was reading this thread over my shoulder and said " from a land down under?? Ij is from Australia?... can we fly him up here to help you? he knows what he is talking about. A plane ticket and a hooker would save u money in the long run!"

Sent from my C771

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ian,

Running 17.0 AFR at cruise or at idle is not a problem, just when its under boost, correct? I see numerous MKIV guys leaning out their tunes for highway cruising.

My stock ECU like to go to 15 and sometimes 16 just at idle.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jdmfreak;1812247 said:
Thanks ij for the science lesson :)

Hahaha I just got the laugh of my life ... my gf was reading this thread over my shoulder and said " from a land down under?? Ij is from Australia?... can we fly him up here to help you? he knows what he is talking about. A plane ticket and a hooker would save u money in the long run!"

Sent from my C771
LMAO no need for a Hooker I'd settle for a Pizza ;)

IBoughtASupra;1812248 said:
Ian,

Running 17.0 AFR at cruise or at idle is not a problem, just when its under boost, correct? I see numerous MKIV guys leaning out their tunes for highway cruising.

My 7M would only go so lean before getting a stumble then you had to feed it more throttle and that hurt economy...

Ditto at idle it'll only go so lean before getting choppy, all depends on the individual combination.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IJ.;1812246 said:
, I slowed going through a shopping strip and nailed it for the James Bond Smoke screen effect

Exactly what mine was doing :) lol if I stomped on it at a stop I couldn't see a person standing right in front of me

Sent from my C771

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I just realized when this happened.... as I was driving my waste gate vacuum line popped off ... the next time I boosted I way over boosted ....as soon as i noticed I backed off..pulled over and found out what happened ... didn't think anything at the time.... but its the only thing I can think of

440 injectors 70mm turbo

Sent from my C771

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IBoughtASupra;1812248 said:
Ian,

On the maft pro there I actually a setting where if you are cruising and all the right "conditions " are met it will lean out your tune... I never set that up as i never wanted to risk this lol

Sent from my C771

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
This might be a stupid question but can I just hone cylinder1 and replace just that piston??? They are "stock" 20 over pistons
aeffbc98-5e76-98b9.jpg

Sent from my C771

Last edited:

HorchataKing

May 5, 2011
Monterey, CA
Personally, I'd hone all the bores, inspect everything carefully and replace only as needed. (exception: I'd replace all the rings since I'm in the motor anyway)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
harley1985;1812277 said:
need a shallow socket silly boy. and no our engines are not interferiance.

If you'd read the thread you'd know that his Cams aren't "stock" so no matter how "shallow" a socket he used it wasn't going to work... :nono:

You can drop the "silly boy" condescending bullshit as well.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IJ.;1812283 said:
If you'd read the thread you'd know that his Cams aren't "stock" so no matter how "shallow" a socket he used it wasn't going to work... :nono:

You can drop the "silly boy" condescending bullshit as well.

Thanks ij I had thought we had gotten past the part of the thread where I had to keep repeating myself lol :p

Anyway when u burned that hole on your piston ... did u do a full rebuild or just replace that piston???

Sent from my C771

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
jdmfreak;1812369 said:
Thanks ij I had thought we had gotten past the part of the thread where I had to keep repeating myself lol :p

Anyway when u burned that hole on your piston ... did u do a full rebuild or just replace that piston???

Sent from my C771

Yeah, sopme people find it hard to actually read through 6 pages and don't bother to look and see if the problem's been addressed somewhere in the middle of the thread....lol

If it were my own engine I'd be looking at everything at the very least. Measuring and making sure everything is well within spec throughout because now that it's open, it's easiest to take care of all that now. It is possible for just the one cylinder to have leaned out and had an issue, but then you have to ask yourself why it was only the one cylinder ;).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jdmfreak;1812369 said:

Sent from my C771
It's the Tech section that shit doesn't fly here... :nono:

I did a full rebuild, the "issue" is going to be what are the piston to bore clearences after a cleanup hone, you might end up with something that sounds like a diesel.. :(

radiod;1812389 said:
Yeah, sopme people find it hard to actually read through 6 pages and don't bother to look and see if the problem's been addressed somewhere in the middle of the thread....lol

If it were my own engine I'd be looking at everything at the very least. Measuring and making sure everything is well within spec throughout because now that it's open, it's easiest to take care of all that now. It is possible for just the one cylinder to have leaned out and had an issue, but then you have to ask yourself why it was only the one cylinder ;).
My "guess" is an injector laid down as there was still enough fuel to torch the piston so it didn't fail totally, if it were further back in the fuel system I'd expect to see more carnage in the rest of the holes..

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
IJ.;1812513 said:
It's the Tech section that shit doesn't fly here... :nono:

I did a full rebuild, the "issue" is going to be what are the piston to bore clearences after a cleanup hone, you might end up with something that sounds like a diesel.. :(.
Ucky ¦P

Sent from my C771