Head Gasket thickness selection

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
enjoyer;1720974 said:
Ok, lets say i'm a dummy. I tried using this calculator , but somethings off http://charles.generationz.net/Supra/headgasketsize.html. If the stock HG is 1,37mm, we took 1,00mm from the block and 0,4mm from the head. Where does this leave me?

1mm = 40 thou

.4mm = 15 thou

55 thou = 1.39mm, you add this to 1.37 to get 2.76mm, closest you'll find is a 3mm MHG, never seen a 2.8mm.

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
IJ.;1720979 said:
1mm = 40 thou

.4mm = 15 thou

55 thou = 1.39mm, you add this to 1.37 to get 2.76mm, closest you'll find is a 3mm MHG, never seen a 2.8mm.
So, i actualy calculated corectly. Just wanted another opinion from the supra god, i mean IJ. So, i milled everything to fit a 3mm HG. OK,now the next question. I've red a lot of different discusions about HG manufacturers and still i'm not sure witch manufacturer is a better choise. I've got an option of custom made HG, but that's a bit expensive. If any of you have bought 3mm HG, could you give me any feedback, and where to look for them(with links for buying). I found some myself, but i just want some second opinions.

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Awesome thread, great information. I am in the process of building another motor due to BHG.

Is there a prefered material? I.e copper or MLS? That's assuming anyone does a Copper head gasket.

Is adding a sealing agent a no no? I heard spray-on holymar was a good thing, anyone had experience with it?

I'm yet to get the machining place to measure the head and block heights but have to wait until I get the pistons so they can do the boring and surfacing at once, before they can measure it for me

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Use MLS - copper would have to be wired around the cylinder for a seal. Way too much work for zero gain.

Never, ever use any kind of spray on sealer on a new MLS HG. It already has a viton coating - the spray sealer will destroy it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Chello;1748643 said:
Thanks for the reply jdub.
What do you mean by wired around the cylinder?

Usually a Copper HG is used with "O-Rings"

These are a stainless steel wire that sits in a groove machined into the deck surface, there isn't enough room to do this on a 7M due to the close bore spacing.

Where in VIC are you?
(Central here)

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the reply IJ.

Half the problem with mine was, the last owner, who did the head gasket put a 1.2mm HKS gasket on it which would have bumped the comrpession up a fair bit and then machined the head ontop of that, they didn't get the block surafced either.

Just trying to make it reliable as humanly possible as it's in a Hilux 4x4 ute, so don't really want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a BHG

Mildura, North West Vic here

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Chello;1748899 said:
Thanks for the reply IJ.

Half the problem with mine was, the last owner, who did the head gasket put a 1.2mm HKS gasket on it which would have bumped the comrpession up a fair bit and then machined the head ontop of that, they didn't get the block surafced either.

Just trying to make it reliable as humanly possible as it's in a Hilux 4x4 ute, so don't really want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a BHG

Mildura, North West Vic here

If you haven't got around to measuring it by early October let me know as I have to go to Berri in SA and intended going through Mildura so it's no probs to bring my big Digi Vernier along!

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I will let you know, thanks for the offer. Much appreciated

With any luck they should have it measured this week, just thought it would be easier for the machine shop to measure it seeing they have to bore and surface the block and port and surface the head.

Is it acceptable to go a little lower in the thickness of the gasket? Just to get a little more compression without going over-board. Obviously not to the extreme that was in it initially, more say the thickness of the gasket was to be 1.8mm to bring it back up to standard specs, how low could I go before it would start to cause problems? 1.6mm be ok? I know it's a bit of a how long is a bit of string question until I know exactly what size I need, was just curious about it for now.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
great sticky here! just saved me a hunt over on sf.

i have a question about the titan headgaskets...are they still just cometic rebranded?

will a cometic gasket hold up as well as an hks when shooting for 500+?

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Okies, got back from the machine shop, they seem to think there will be around 40 thou all up removed from the block and head over time, will have to wait until they measure it properly, they are still porting the head before they deck it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
suprajztwenty;1749433 said:
great sticky here! just saved me a hunt over on sf.

i have a question about the titan headgaskets...are they still just cometic rebranded?

will a cometic gasket hold up as well as an hks when shooting for 500+?
As far as I know Cometic make the Titan MHG, 500 is well within it's limits, keep it out of detonation and make sure it's torqued down correctly and retorqued and that the surfaces are flat and smooth.

Chello;1749606 said:
Okies, got back from the machine shop, they seem to think there will be around 40 thou all up removed from the block and head over time, will have to wait until they measure it properly, they are still porting the head before they deck it
I see a 3mm MHG in your future :)

What sort of HP are you aiming for on this motor?

Chello

Jun 8, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Not a great deal of HP, it's in a hilux 4x4, so more building it more for torque than straight out power. So getting them to port the head out a bit, has .50 mm over pistons.

They took 10 thou off of the block, the head has been milled 20 thou previously and they estimate maybe another 10 thou has to come off of it to make it flush.

So.. I guess I will be looking at around a 2.4mm, depending how much ends up coming off of the head, which I can't see it being 10 thou, but they said it as more of a safe guard I think