Head Gasket thickness selection

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
but what about running a composite gasket with arp hardware? can i use my stock thickness toyota gasket if i have the head machined for flatness? guessing no, since there will be material thickness missing from the equation. are there thicker composite gaskets on the market to make up for lost head material?

thanks

aaron

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
you can run a thinner gasket if you wish just have to do it properly

for example my current motor I going to build my motor and it will be 9.1 to 9.5 max in comp ratio

reson I can do this is

adjustbale cam gear's
thermo coated pistons je's
cleaned up head and de shorded vavles
meth
stand alone ecu

and less boost 22 pounds instead of the 24 25 pounds I push now at 8.2.1

the higest comp ratio i have done befor with out issue was 9.3.1

and all i ran was

ross pistons and cam gear's but runing a stock ecu with a piggy

but if you were to up the stock raito with stock every thing by decking and plaining I stroungy recomend cam gears ....... if you choose to do this

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
NashMan;1691706 said:

for example my current motor I going to build my motor and it will be 9.1 to 9.5 max in comp ratio

reson I can do this is

adjustbale cam gear's
thermo coated pistons je's
cleaned up head and de shorded vavles
meth
stand alone ecu

and less boost 22 pounds instead of the 24 25 pounds I push now at 8.2.1

the higest comp ratio i have done befor with out issue was 9.3.1

and all i ran was

ross pistons and cam gear's but runing a stock ecu with a piggy

but if you were to up the stock raito with stock every thing by decking and plaining I stroungy recomend cam gears ....... if you choose to do this

off topic: how did you like the increase in comp. from 8.4 to 9.3?

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
NashMan;1691706 said:

reson I can do this is

adjustbale cam gear's
stand alone ecu

well, i'm not running a standalone, and dont have adjustable cam gears lol.. if i had time to put THAT much work into the car, i would simply pull the block and have it machined and run a MHG. The reason I'm going composite is so it (theoretically) will seal against an unplaned block surface.. I'm just worried about compression ratios, and finding a thicker composite gasket if it's necessary.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The mild bump in CR you'll get from having the head surfaced shouldn't make too much difference, ARP's+Comosite if you DON'T detonate it can stand up to a lot more than most here think...

In my 3.4L Toyota V8 which has the same lame 4 bolts per cylinder design I ran low comp and 30psi on Composite HG's.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I recently used a oem toyota gasket with arp studs because I was not happy with my block surface and needed it back on the road. Had the head machined and so far so good, only been running 10psi but no problems

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
awesome. good to hear guys.. I'll be running a 57 trim ct26 at around 10psi. how long have you been running your composite gasket and arp setup?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
grimreaper;1691732 said:
off topic: how did you like the increase in comp. from 8.4 to 9.3?

plain the head to just about max and plained the block stock sized gasket

when doing the timing belt it did not fit at stock adjustment so i migth have been over spec thus the cam gears

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
High CR + Turbo FTW. All I have is a 3in DP, GE cams and at stock boost (~5psi) i get full spool by 2200 RPM. At 8psi I slip the clutch like a mofo. I do have to use mid grade though. Going up a hill with anything lower I can hear pinging.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
mecevans;1692393 said:
High CR + Turbo FTW. All I have is a 3in DP, GE cams and at stock boost (~5psi) i get full spool by 2200 RPM. At 8psi I slip the clutch like a mofo. I do have to use mid grade though. Going up a hill with anything lower I can hear pinging.

High comp 7M's are dope and all for lower boost engines but when you want to crank it up a bit meth or race gas is needed. I had to throw in some C12 to run 15 psi on a 60 trim ct26.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
SC61 MK3;1692593 said:
If you can't afford to run premium you shouldn't be driving a supra let alone a modified one

Ya I just spent 3k rebuilding my engine and I'm going to cheap out on fuel. Not that higher octane will do anything cause the engine can't advance the timing anymore.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Hey guys,

It just occurred to me that I'm running a rebuilt motor already, (purchased from a member here) which means the head at LEAST has already been shaved, at LEAST once.. When I crack the motor open and measure thicknesses, what would you guys call a no-fly zone for missing material in terms of still running this OEM toyota gasket?

Thanks,

Aaron