Head Gasket Part II

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
Well after a little over a month, I got my car running, it runs really good and starts very quickly. Although I still have a major issue. Water is still getting into the cylinders. I shouldnt've 2nd guessed my head and block. I'm using an HKS 1.2mm bead type MHG and a rebuilt head. The block was only prepared by doing a through cleaning.

I suspect that the block surface isn't as true as I assummed. I made the assumption based on the fact that the block only has 82,xxx miles on it. Shame on me. As a lot of you probably know, the tolerences have to be super flat in order for the MHG to seal properly. I have read that someone used a MHG without proper preperation to the block with success. I was hoping to be that lucky. Shame on me twice.

I still have a composite head gasket that will provide a better seal by allowing for looser tolerances and helping seal imperfections. I am going in for round 2. Being this intimate with my engine has made me confident I can do this over the weekend, and all that diassembly/reassembly knowledge is very fresh in my mind.

Someone recommended to me that I use Permatex Brake Quiet or Copper Spray, after the fact that I had already installed the MHG. Before it's asked, I have ARP head bolts (ya, ya, shoulda used head studs). I was wondering if I can still reuse the MHG? If I can reuse the MHG, where can I find that copper spray? Any recomendations? Please help, before I rip my head off again. Thanx in advance. :1zhelp:

N

NDBoost

idk about the mhg re use but you can pickup the copper spray at any auto parts store.

After finishing up the hg work. after 500 miles retorque just to be safe :)

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
you can reuse the MHG....

Permatex Brake Quiet> Copper Spray

Brake quiet can be found at any parts store. Its in a 8 or 10 oz red can, and can be made by CRC or Permatex. Either is great. It dries red and sticky.

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
Well that's good news.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Is the brake quiet, "brand specific"? Meaning Permatex is the only one I should buy?

EDIT: I don't ever plan on going past 14psi. Pretty much as far as the CT26 will take me, with the appropriate upgrades of course. I'd hate to put it together and find out the Permatex didn't work. Would I be better off just using the composite one?

Last edited:

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
take a few extra hours to pull the block and get it resurfaced and go mhg again, you'll be happier in the long run..... also gives you an opportunity to superclean the engine bay an d paint the block, permatex is fine but it is no substitute for doing it right

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gixxer750 said:
you can reuse the MHG....

Permatex Brake Quiet> Copper Spray

Brake quiet can be found at any parts store. Its in a 8 or 10 oz red can, and can be made by CRC or Permatex. Either is great. It dries red and sticky.
Mine is blue in a blue can Gixx :)

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
mdr40z said:
take a few extra hours to pull the block and get it resurfaced and go mhg again, you'll be happier in the long run..... also gives you an opportunity to superclean the engine bay an d paint the block, permatex is fine but it is no substitute for doing it right

However true this maybe and as much as I'd like to, I don't have the financial means or the time to do this. I do appreciate the input though. Donations are glady accepted at this time.

*Note, please see EDIT in above post.

Thanks for the comments. More suggestions, input, and feedback are also glady accepted.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
^^^
Yes, 14 PSI will be fine on a properly torqued composite head gasket. Save the MHG till you can afford to do it right.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
sure you'll be able to do that and I know what you're saying but once the head is off what does it take another 2-3 hours to pull the block? then load it in your trunk and probably at the most overnight at the shop, and say $50 for the resurface, then you're good for almost anything reasonable, right? You're not replacing any additional gaskets really and you might find a bad clutch or something

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
I wish I could, but I'm in debt right now. School + books, bounced check, the shop daily rental fee @ $5 a day (figure a little over a month), late cell phone bill. :( I should be ok in March though. I'll update after the gasket swap.

I'm glad someone directed me to this forum. Lot's of active members here...good stuff.
icon14.gif
beer.gif

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
I pulled the head about 2 hours ago and coolant was bleeding into cylinder 1 and 6. Like I sayz before, I was using an HKS MHG. I read somewhere about removing the rivits from a Cometic HG. Are you supposed to do that with the HKS one too?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
if you blew in two separate places you've obviously got some surface tolerance or pitting issues or both, prepare it right or do it twice. IMO, even with a stock gasket you're not gonna be good for more than stock boost and crossing your fingers at that. My buddy always says 'do it right, do it light, do it wrong, do it long'
I bet you can find a way to fund it if you think hard enough

+you already have the mhg