Having a problem while slowing down still in gear, drivetrain noise

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Getting a pretty loud noise from what sounds like the rear of the car when decelerating while still in gear, most noticeable at 40 or 50 mph. If I get up to like 50 mph while accelerating there is no noise but right when I let off the gas (still in gear, slowing down) it gets really loud but goes away if I give it gas and start accelerating again or push in the clutch.

Any ideas where to start?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
it goes away if you push in the clutch, but are still rolling along? then you can likely eliminate the rear end, rear wheel bearings, and possibly the driveshaft joints/bearing.

look at the clutch and trans perhaps?

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Ya it goes away if I push in the clutch or take it out of gear and also if its in gear but I'm giving it gas and accelerating. Only happens when decelerating in gear

I was thinking clutch/tranny but wanted to rule out anything else before pulling the tranny... ugh

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
IJ.;1696230 said:
Sight along the driveshaft and see if all the Uni's are in line o--o--o

Yes they are all lined up correctly per tsrm and all nuts/bolts are tight along the drive shaft, anything else to look for?

I also noticed with the rear wheels jacked up while in gear/ebrake up, the wheel has some play from side to side. Is that a problem with the rear diff? When i changed the diff fluid it had what looked like metal flakes in it