Have a question on a HKS BOV???????

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
I bought a hks bov of a member here.The question is can cap I the hose of the accordion hose and use the hose of the 3000 pipe and the run the vacuum of the same stock Bov to the HKS.BOV QUESTION.pngBOV QUESTION.pngBOV QUESTION.png
Let me Know if this is correct

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Yes. Your car will run rich under high vacuum conditions and might be prone to stalling by running a vent to atmosphere bov.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
That's because when you let off the gas.. when the bov opens... The tps closes the idle contacts and the ecu cuts fuel. If your tps is set properly, you shouldnt have any stalling issues

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Backlash2032;1975664 said:
That's because when you let off the gas.. when the bov opens... The tps closes the idle contacts and the ecu cuts fuel. If your tps is set properly, you shouldnt have any stalling issues

This is entirely untrue...

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Backlash2032;1975664 said:

The BOV has nothing to do with the TPS. When not recirculated, the air that leaves the BOV has already been metered and doesnt go back into the engine like it is supposed to therefore causing a rich condition for the engine in which he engine will stall out. The TPS should be adjusted to tsrm spec. If it was as simple as adjusting the TPS everyone would do it.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
suprafreak123;1975668 said:
Cool thank you Backlash that is a sign of relieve.I was starting to get worried
You should be worried, the BOV should be recirculated back into the intake pre-turbo. If you recirculate it back to the 3000 pipe you just create a loop and its like the BOV isnt there.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BryanDyer;1975933 said:
The BOV has nothing to do with the TPS. When not recirculated, the air that leaves the BOV has already been metered and doesnt go back into the engine like it is supposed to therefore causing a rich condition for the engine in which he engine will stall out. The TPS should be adjusted to tsrm spec. If it was as simple as adjusting the TPS everyone would do it.

Not true.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BryanDyer;1975935 said:
You should be worried, the BOV should be recirculated back into the intake pre-turbo. If you recirculate it back to the 3000 pipe you just create a loop and its like the BOV isnt there.

The BOV doesn't have to be recirc'd.

What he said was he's using the same sources for each of the things he needs, just not recirculating it.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
IndigoMKII;1975939 said:
Not true.

The compressed air in the intercooler pipes is forced back into the intake tract. All air that passed your meter is still in the pipes, everything is all good.

With an atmospheric valve, the air in the pipes is vented to atmosphere, therefore although the air has been metered by the car, and fuel added for it, it isn't making it into the combustion chambers, thereby flooding your engine with fuel, resulting in extremely rich conditions, resulting in the stalling of the car. This is why is needs to be recirculated because our AFM metered it already.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BryanDyer;1975950 said:
The compressed air in the intercooler pipes is forced back into the intake tract. All air that passed your meter is still in the pipes, everything is all good.

With an atmospheric valve, the air in the pipes is vented to atmosphere, therefore although the air has been metered by the car, and fuel added for it, it isn't making it into the combustion chambers, thereby flooding your engine with fuel, resulting in extremely rich conditions, resulting in the stalling of the car. This is why is needs to be recirculated because our AFM metered it already.

Yes, vented air does cause a rich condition. it does not cause such a rich condition that it floods a running engine. what normally causes these engines to stall like that is aided by several things. vented bov, boost leaks, the vtv for the throttle stop, these are a few things that can cause the car to stall. merely venting the bov won't cause the car to stall. you can do a full pull and push in the clutch to make it idle, no stall.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IndigoMKII;1975966 said:
Yes, vented air does cause a rich condition. it does not cause such a rich condition that it floods a running engine. what normally causes these engines to stall like that is aided by several things. vented bov, boost leaks, the vsv for the throttle stop, these are a few things that can cause the car to stall. merely venting the bov won't cause the car to stall. you can do a full pull and push in the clutch to make it idle, no stall.

Depends a hell of a lot on the situation, but yes, it can and will stall. It will also cause muffler explosions (what some people would call a backfire, but this is wrong as a backfire is up through the intake) and overall crappy running and driving. It may also damage the cat.

Can you adjust your driving around it? Yes. Is it still mildly annoying? Yep. I should know, I've run both ways...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Poodles;1976334 said:
Depends a hell of a lot on the situation, but yes, it can and will stall. It will also cause muffler explosions (what some people would call a backfire, but this is wrong as a backfire is up through the intake) and overall crappy running and driving. It may also damage the cat.

Can you adjust your driving around it? Yes. Is it still mildly annoying? Yep. I should know, I've run both ways...

I don't see how by just adding a vented BOV to a perfectly running 7m will cause it to stall. The VTV on the throttle body keeps it from snapping completely shut, allowing the ISCV to catch up and maintain the idle. If all of the components regarding the 7m are working in proper order, I don't see how it'll cause a stall.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Because the system was designed on having it recirculated. The afm meters the air before the turbo. Once the bov releases the air it goes back into the intake before the turbo after the afm. If the air is not put back in, it causes a rich condition Becuase the computer monitored the air and added fuel to make up for it so if it doesn't receive the air it "thinks" it's going to it runs rich and causes it to stall Becuase the air was not there to burn the fuel.