Hard to start when cold. Please help

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
I tried searching but found no results that were of use. I replaced both my cold start injector and the cold start switch and my car still requires multiple cranks before it starts. When it finally starts I have to hold it at 1500+ RPM's to get it to stay running. It's an 89 that I swapped a 7mgte in to and and my mods consist of maf-t, intercooler/hard pipes, 3" exhaust, 57 trim ct at 10lbs. All help is greatly appreciated

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
GrimJack;1647006 said:
How cold is it? What was used to tune the idle on the MAFT?

Around 30 degrees and the damn translator reset on me and haven't tuned it since but I've been having this problem long before it was installed.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
xXSupramanXx;1647073 said:
Around 30 degrees and the damn translator reset on me and haven't tuned it since but I've been having this problem long before it was installed.

Not saying it is your culprit, but logic would say, just because you are no longer tuned and that the problem was there before, does not mean that incorrect tuning was not the culprit when it was tuned... Not sure if that statement made sense or not. But basically a setting like (I have MaftPro not sure of differences of options) but I have an After-start Enrichment, perhaps when it was tuned something like that was not set properly and did not show up until weather was colder, but now you say it is doing nothing for altering translation, so the setting issue could still be the issue...

I am no grammar king, so I hope I got my thought across to be helpful... I guess I would try to see what happened with a little starting fluid, does it start right away?

This may be a compilation of issues, as cranking for a while to start and not idling for the 1st few seconds I am not sure are absolutely related (but certainly can be also), so my other thought, which you went down the right road IMO on swapping the CSI, but it might be a good idea, if you have not already, to check with a meter that proper voltage is going to the CSI when it should be.

xXSupramanXx

Drifter
Mar 12, 2008
Dayton
gottadiesel;1647143 said:
Not saying it is your culprit, but logic would say, just because you are no longer tuned and that the problem was there before, does not mean that incorrect tuning was not the culprit when it was tuned... Not sure if that statement made sense or not. But basically a setting like (I have MaftPro not sure of differences of options) but I have an After-start Enrichment, perhaps when it was tuned something like that was not set properly and did not show up until weather was colder, but now you say it is doing nothing for altering translation, so the setting issue could still be the issue...

I am no grammar king, so I hope I got my thought across to be helpful... I guess I would try to see what happened with a little starting fluid, does it start right away?

This may be a compilation of issues, as cranking for a while to start and not idling for the 1st few seconds I am not sure are absolutely related (but certainly can be also), so my other thought, which you went down the right road IMO on swapping the CSI, but it might be a good idea, if you have not already, to check with a meter that proper voltage is going to the CSI when it should be.

I get what ur tryin to say but the fact that this problem existed before the translator was installed has me thinking that it is something else. I tried spraying starting fluid in it this morning and it was a little easier but still required multiple cranks. I purchased another harness from a member and I guess that will have to be the next step

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
xXSupramanXx;1647257 said:
I get what ur tryin to say but the fact that this problem existed before the translator was installed has me thinking that it is something else. I tried spraying starting fluid in it this morning and it was a little easier but still required multiple cranks. I purchased another harness from a member and I guess that will have to be the next step

Oh Sorry, I missed that point... I thought you were saying that the problem was there before the translator reset itself... not before it was even installed...

A bit tedious, but a step that I took when I was having some weird issues right after project completion, was to (per TRSM) meter every point on the ECU for voltage or resistance as noted in TRSM, perhaps something will show up... Also reminder of suggestion to make sure voltage is getting to the CSI, it sure sounds like it may not be working IMO...