Half-Shaft to Diff bolts

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
I'm gonna be in the process of changing my Diff sometime next week, and was just wondering what are the correct (size, grade) bolts that bolt half-shafts to the diff?
Is there 5 on each side ? Anything else I should replace when I'm down there ?

Thanks in advance

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I believe it's 6 nuts. The half shafts slide onto the studs that are locked onto the diff flanges, then the nuts go down and snug it up

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
the bolts you will need to get at the dealer, they have a threaded head. I got new ones for mine at the dealer for pretty cheap like i think under 50. I did a full overhaul on my rear diff though. There are 3 seals front and sides that i would recommend on replacing. also i'd check your rear sub frame for any cracks or splits

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
What the hell do you do when this happens?? I can't get this f***er out!

p1763819_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pop the Stub axle out (it's held in with a clip) so you can work on it on the bench.

If you have a spare diff just swap in the stub if you can get a stud just open a vise enough so the back end of the stud is just held then smack it hard with a hammer where it's broken, it should pop out.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
IJ.;1763821 said:
Pop the Stub axle out (it's held in with a clip) so you can work on it on the bench.

If you have a spare diff just swap in the stub if you can get a stud just open a vise enough so the back end of the stud is just held then smack it hard with a hammer where it's broken, it should pop out.

IJ, from the TSRM, it looks like the snap ring just holds the dust cover in position on the shaft(stub axle), is this the case? So I just use a slide hammer to pull the whole thing off, will this destroy the snap ring (the TSRM says to replace it)?

p1764291_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I use a couple of pry bars and it pops out, reused the snaps quite a few times as I was too lazy to drive to Toyota ;)
(snap rings actually hold the whole Stub axle in, that drawing is deceptive, the seal/cover end up at the flange end when installed with the seal staying in the pumpkin and the dust cover staying on the stub axle)

If you have a slide hammer by all means use it, again I was too lazy to get mine from the tool cupboard!

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Thanks for the replies IJ. I got the Stub axle out, and the frozen, sheared bolt out (the torch helped a lot). The new bolt is now in and it's ready to go back on the differential.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
nctexan;1764665 said:
Thanks for the replies IJ. I got the Stub axle out, and the frozen, sheared bolt out (the torch helped a lot). The new bolt is now in and it's ready to go back on the differential.

Very welcome!

Good to hear it's all sorted, well done.