Guv'na's Tavern

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Pyro15D;1997843 said:
Well, I just think that the Corolla had its day. That was close to 30 years ago. No matter what they do to it (aside from rotating the engine 90 degrees and making it rear wheel drive) it won't be as good as the AE86 it "replaced". Just imagine how much better that car would be if they made it rear wheel drive? It is just like when any company brings revives an old, formerly awesome car. It is never as good as the old version was. Compare the new Camaro, Challenger, or Charger to their first edition counterparts. These new ones look absolutely massive and you can tell that the company held back and didn't make a car as good as they could have. Don't even get me started on the Dodge Dart. WTF were they thinking, taking a pretty awesome pony car from the 60's and 70's and turning it into a little econobox? I guess that is better than keeping a great car and running its name into the ground, like the did with the Mustang, or worse, Carroll Shelby. Take a look at the Shelby Charger from the 80's, aka the Dodge Omni. There is a part of me that hopes that Toyota doesn't call the FT-1 the New Supra, just in case it turns out to be underwhelming. The MKIV was killed off on a high note. It was the absolute flagship Toyota. Don't bring it back unless you pull out all the stops and make it a total driver's car. It's like the Scion FRS. It is a driver's car. It is refreshing to see a company that still cares about making a car to just put a smile on the owner's face. The only bad thing about it to me is that they didn't call it a Toyota here in the US. I guess I am still living in the past though when Toyota made cars to put a smile on your face, not to satisfy smug enviromentalists.

This.
This is why we love you.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Sweet! I apologize for possibly offending some of you with the rant. That wasn't my intention. Mainly I just wanted to say that for the most part, car companies make softer cars nowadays. Look at the BMW M3 through the generations. The E30 M3 was a race car that they threw on some blinkers and windshield wipers to make it legal for the street. The E36 and everything afterwards was just a hopped up street car. We need more homologation cars. Hell, the American cars would be way cooler is NASCAR actually used STOCK CARS in their races, like they used to. Anyway, have any of you looked around at some of the Yahoo Japan auctions? They have tons of stuff for our cars there. Shipping has to be ridiculous, but who knows? I'm bidding on a few HKS goodies because they are cheap. You all know I'm a sucker for old HKS stuff. I'll let you know how it all goes in like a month when (or if :cry:) they arrive.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Naaa if one is speaking the truth no one has a right to get offended :p

I agree with your rant:) Had a few similar myself

However I am glad it's not the other way around because the way it is I can afford fun cars

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah, I guess it isn't entirely the car companies' fault that they are being restricted with ever tightening emissions and safety standards. It's like the new diesel trucks. Who thought it was a good idea to inject basically sheep urine in the exhaust? It may drop emissions a bit but damn it sure stinks! Or this whole flex fuel thing on NA vehicles. I admit, having safety standards does have its benefits. Being in the middle east and such shows what we could be driving around in if we did away with those standards. I don't care how cheap it is, I'm not trusting my life on the highway in a vehicle made of recycled sardine cans powered by a weedwacker motor. What I'm trying to say is, standards are good, just don't forget about the fun.

Pyro15D;1997843 said:
Well, I just think that the Corolla had its day. That was close to 30 years ago. No matter what they do to it (aside from rotating the engine 90 degrees and making it rear wheel drive) it won't be as good as the AE86 it "replaced". Just imagine how much better that car would be if they made it rear wheel drive? It is just like when any company brings revives an old, formerly awesome car. It is never as good as the old version was. Compare the new Camaro, Challenger, or Charger to their first edition counterparts. These new ones look absolutely massive and you can tell that the company held back and didn't make a car as good as they could have. Don't even get me started on the Dodge Dart. WTF were they thinking, taking a pretty awesome pony car from the 60's and 70's and turning it into a little econobox? I guess that is better than keeping a great car and running its name into the ground, like the did with the Mustang, or worse, Carroll Shelby. Take a look at the Shelby Charger from the 80's, aka the Dodge Omni. There is a part of me that hopes that Toyota doesn't call the FT-1 the New Supra, just in case it turns out to be underwhelming. The MKIV was killed off on a high note. It was the absolute flagship Toyota. Don't bring it back unless you pull out all the stops and make it a total driver's car. It's like the Scion FRS. It is a driver's car. It is refreshing to see a company that still cares about making a car to just put a smile on the owner's face. The only bad thing about it to me is that they didn't call it a Toyota here in the US. I guess I am still living in the past though when Toyota made cars to put a smile on your face, not to satisfy smug enviromentalists.

Corolla xrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
You mean this Corolla XRS?
Toyota_Corolla_XRS.jpg
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like a very fast or particularly interesting car. The specs really aren't that impressive when compared to a Scion FRS. It kinda looks like a car riddled with compromise. Compromises in the car world seem to always produce a bland car. It wants to be sporty, but it still wants to be practical. It wants to be fast but it wants to get good gas mileage. It wants to look aggressive...oh wait. No it doesn't. I mean, seriously. It is a 1.8 liter that only puts out 170hp at the crank. That is less than 100hp/liter. BMW was cracking 100hp/liter with their NA straight six 20 years ago. I guess the one good thing the Corolla has going for it is the $18,000 price. For that price though, the Kia Forte seems to be a better car and if I had to be honest, I think it is a better looking car too... If I were to spend that kind of money on a car though, I wouldn't buy a new car. I'd probably buy an older STi. I would love to get another GC8 like this:
wallpapers_subaru_impreza_wrx_1998_1_800x600.jpg

I used to have one with the STi drivetrain swap. It didn't liike as good as this, but damn was it fun! Well shit, I guess that ended up being another rant by Dane...

Last edited:

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah the Supra is on there. Wife doesn't want me to bring the car to Texas so I put it on craigslist so I can say I'm trying to sell it. Anyway, as far as the whole trolling thing, it's pretty easy to get me spun up. Another one of my many failings as a person.