grinding into reverse! help please

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
my 89 has the r154 and its recently new with new clutch and flywheel and cylinder, ect. ect. all new about 2500 miles ago at about 1000 miles it started to gring when i put it into reverse but it doesnt do it all the time and also its sometimes hard going into first or second when im comming to a corner, could anyone let me know whats goin on please?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Reverse has no synchronizer, it will grind no matter what if the input/output shaft speed is not matched.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
^

This is true. I find that typically keeping the clutch in and shifting in to 4th before reverse will help reduce the chance of any grinding. Also, it will ALWAYS grind if you are trying to shift in to reverse if you are moving at all. Make sure you're at a complete stop before going in to reverse.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try bleeding your clutch again. you might have some air left in there.

3rd to reverse seems to work almost every time for me.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
thanks guys ill try this hopfully it helps if not ill be back :)

well i just went around the block and tried the 3rd to reverse and it didnt even make a peep. awsome awsome thanks for your help!

also one more thing i just put on new breaks , calipers, pads, rotors on the front cus it was sticking and it still does it from time to time, to the point where i have to drop to 4th sometimes 3rd and be at 3 or 4 psi just to get to the closest place to pull off and take the resivor cap off and let out the pressure, anyone ever had this problem?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Push clutch in, wait a few seconds, go right into reverse. You need to wait for the gear pack to stop spinning...

SuprAz

Jul 5, 2010
Grand Canyon State
I had the same problem, just 4th to reverse works for myself, also im curious how would one go about bleeding air out of the clutch? My cars clutch would just stay in when i pushed it to the floor, something must have bled dry?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Bleeding a hydraulic clutch is just like bleeding brakes, theres a bleeder screw on the slave.

Push clutch pedal and crack open the bleeder, tighten the bleeder, release the pedal and repeat. Watch the level in the reservoir so that it does not run out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Gravity bleed it first as it will get most of the crap out (very small system and tends to work air out by itself regardless)