Greddy Type S or Profect B Spec II?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
There is the:

Greddy Profec B Spec 2

Greddy Profec Type S which is now discontinued but may still be able to source if a distributer has some left in stock.

I've only had experience with the Profec B Spec 2.

Anyone using the Profec Type S? If so, how do you like it?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
JL7mgte;1089981 said:
I need to replace my old Profect A and I am looking at these two boost contollers. Since they are the same price what are the advantages of getting one over the other? Thanks.

Just for my curiosity's sake,

what is wrong with your Profec A?

I believe both of them use the same solenoid and maybe even operate the same way. The type-S is just easier to use since the controls are simple knobs, while the profec has the screen and buttons. I think the profec has some additional features though, like displaying the boost level on screen and stuff.

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
ForcedTorque;1090090 said:
I have heard complaints about the SpecII being difficult to get it dialed in. But a lot of people use it, so their opinion is better than mine.

People back in the day used to say that the Profect A was hard to program, but I never had any issues with it. Right now I'm leaning towards the Spec II.

j3pz

still learning
i just got the spec II and have been reading up on how to use it (not installed yet). it can display your boost and has a warning and limiter feature which will lower the boost when it exceeds the warning level. the only thing i dont like so far is that you cant set at a distinct boost level, only a percentage. so i suppose some trial and error is in order to get it at the right level

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
j3pz;1090215 said:
i just got the spec II and have been reading up on how to use it (not installed yet). it can display your boost and has a warning and limiter feature which will lower the boost when it exceeds the warning level. the only thing i dont like so far is that you cant set at a distinct boost level, only a percentage. so i suppose some trial and error is in order to get it at the right level

Looking at the instructions it looks like the "Start Boost" setting will be critical to setup...

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
I have the PRofec B, wich is super easy to use, and is the same as the type S w/ the exception the chrome knobs. Either can be had used for around $175-250.

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
I was looking at getting a Profec B spec II aswell. I noticed that on Nengun.com it can be had new , delivered fo around 356.00 to my door. On boostcontroller.com they are asking around 560.00 delivered. Quite a difference there.

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
7Mboost;1090395 said:
I've heard great things about the Type S and I've experienced nothing but shitty boost control from multiple Profec B Spec 2's.

Really? Is it just difficult to dial in or are the electronics that bad? My old Profec A was easy to program and it controlled spikes really well.

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
7Mboost;1090395 said:
I've heard great things about the Type S and I've experienced nothing but shitty boost control from multiple Profec B Spec 2's.

That sucks, so you would advise against them???

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
You have to be able to understand the instructions before you use the boost controller. Its a very good unit with almost no flaws that I can think.

Has "HI" and "LOW" settings that takes quite a bit of trial and error to achieve your specific boost level, and how fast you can get it to spool up to that level, but once you master it its very hard to beat.

Displays boost in digital too:)

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I agree.

The Profec B Spec 2 can be a little confusing at first.

After reading through the manual and other sources on this forum about how to set it up....it becomes very easy to use.

After several test runs....im boosting exactly where I want to be.

Try checking out the Apexi AVC-R too.