Gran Turismo 5: Supra 3.0 Turbo A Drift Setup

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Has anyone been able to successfuly setup their Supra to oversteer in the game? Im having trouble getting the car to turn and dont like slowing down as an option. Also getting really annoyed with the snap oversteer. Feels like Im driving a AWD and always have to steer into the turn as opposed to counter steering. What setup are you guys currently running? Whats your suspension tune?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Not to ask the obvious but you've turned off all the assists right? I have no problem sliding my mk3.

I drove a rally race with a default car and forgot to turn off all the assists and it was like trying an AWD glued to the road. Turned off the assists and I was sliding around every turn with that car.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
weird that youre having problems with the SUpra sliding, i could get a Miata with just the level one coilovers to slide decently. BUt in gran turismo 4, i always had problems with the mk3 understeering.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
MA70witBoost;1656335 said:
Anything yet?

ops i for got let me fire it up

give it a abit and you will master it

sport hard tires front rear you choose on how much traction you want

max out everything to buy but trans not need

ride hight -25/-25
spring rate 14.3/6.8
dampers ex 5/3
dampers comp 5/3
roll bar 1/2

aligment

camber 0.5/1.5
toe 00.5/-0.10

brakes 6/7 or other way aroud you choose

lsd

torque 20
sensistivity 40
braking 30

have fun

oh yae every assit truned off abs set to 1

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I use my JZA70 for a lot of things. It's set up quite similarly to my actual car, really... Never had a problem getting either sideways. Hell, turn in, throttle down, boost comes on, counter steer and modulate throttle. Easy as that to *get* it sideways, but getting it out smoothly is the challenge for me.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
NashMan;1656384 said:
ops i for got let me fire it up

give it a abit and you will master it

sport hard tires front rear you choose on how much traction you want

max out everything to buy but trans not need

ride hight -25/-25
spring rate 14.3/6.8
dampers ex 5/3
dampers comp 5/3
roll bar 1/2

aligment

camber 0.5/1.5
toe 00.5/-0.10

brakes 6/7 or other way aroud you choose

lsd

torque 20
sensistivity 40
braking 30

have fun

oh yae every assit truned off abs set to 1

Going to give this a try. Need I mention that my Turbo A has EVERY performance mod available and is at 564hp @ 6900RPM if i see correctly. NashMan, what kind of tires are you running?

EDIT: Just did a run with your setup NashMan and I still need the hand brake. Im currently running Racing Soft all around and am going to mess around with different tire combinations and see what i get.

EDIT: Ok, car oversteers a bit too much with Racing Soft up front and Racing Hards in the back. Gonna try Racing Mediums in the back and see how the combo works out.

Last edited:

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well you really shouldn't be having a problem. You arnt just full throttling from a straight right into the turn are you? That'll give you "understeer" no matter what car you're using. The key is to transfer weight, an easy way to do that is to use the normal brake only slightly to shift the weight to the front, or you can fake to the outside and cut inside to force a drift.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Kangae;1656701 said:
Well you really shouldn't be having a problem. You arnt just full throttling from a straight right into the turn are you? That'll give you "understeer" no matter what car you're using. The key is to transfer weight, an easy way to do that is to use the normal brake only slightly to shift the weight to the front, or you can fake to the outside and cut inside to force a drift.

well yeah, thats kinda what im doing. im trying to minimize braking time and give it gas till the last moment, braking hard and taking the turn but properly timing when to start braking is difficult.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Yeah, it usually takes some practice to get it down. My problem is that I always end up going faster than I think I am, but that was usually on forza.

But I think I can see where you're coming from, my only suggestion if you haven't done this already would be to work your way up to a fully tuned mk3. I know it took me awhile to get any sort of drifting down, and even now I can blow it from time to time.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
MA70witBoost;1656651 said:
Going to give this a try. Need I mention that my Turbo A has EVERY performance mod available and is at 564hp @ 6900RPM if i see correctly. NashMan, what kind of tires are you running?

EDIT: Just did a run with your setup NashMan and I still need the hand brake. Im currently running Racing Soft all around and am going to mess around with different tire combinations and see what i get.

EDIT: Ok, car oversteers a bit too much with Racing Soft up front and Racing Hards in the back. Gonna try Racing Mediums in the back and see how the combo works out.

i use sport hards on all corners

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Kangae;1657441 said:
Yeah, it usually takes some practice to get it down. My problem is that I always end up going faster than I think I am, but that was usually on forza.

But I think I can see where you're coming from, my only suggestion if you haven't done this already would be to work your way up to a fully tuned mk3. I know it took me awhile to get any sort of drifting down, and even now I can blow it from time to time.

Im the same way. Racing Sim's are no where close to the real thing. The lack of G Force affects the realism IMO. That and I dont exactly find GT5's vehicle dynamics or the accel of the motor to be 100% realistic. Damn cars sometimes die on powe and wont accelerate after initiating a loss of traction till the tires finally grip again.

NashMan;1657621 said:
i use sport hards on all corners

Hmmm... Going to try this.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have no issue and with this set up does not snap over streer as easy

if you don't wana use the e brake as much put more rear brake and lessen the front

i have it this way for mid drift slow down and change angle

i still use my e brake when tire damge is off the car made for online play

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Yup, you have to slow down to corner...no matter what the setup...easiest remedy is put front brakes to 7 and rears to 3 and taht will get the rear around for ya

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supra0089;1657885 said:
Yup, you have to slow down to corner...no matter what the setup...easiest remedy is put front brakes to 7 and rears to 3 and taht will get the rear around for ya

I see your logic here, but this will generally cause understeer. Front wheels lock up when they have more brake bias, whereas the rear tires will lock up (and initiate a slide) if you have more rear bias. ;)

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
te72;1657924 said:
I see your logic here, but this will generally cause understeer. Front wheels lock up when they have more brake bias, whereas the rear tires will lock up (and initiate a slide) if you have more rear bias. ;)

Whao, you just changed how i thought. I thought that more brake bias towards the front would help remove the weight off the back tires through cornering alowing the back to break lose easier because the weight of the vehicle was removed from the rear making it easier to oversteer. Initially a braking drift. Im thinking about the vehicle dynamics in my head and I thought that slightly planting the front would increase overall front traction and help with turning.