www.cafepress.com
http://kotaku.com/5662886/gran-turismo-5-delayed-now-coming-this-holiday-season

http://kotaku.com/5663493/gran-turismo-creator-explains-delay?skyline=true&s=i

problem, PS3 owners..?

tumblr_l0d90gqsMo1qbylvso1_250.gif

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Wow, again!!! People have been waiting for this flagship ps3 game for a long time. If they are still working out bugs it probably means at least another few months. I hope its more of a production issue since Nov. 2nd is less than 3 weeks away. I highly doubt they can fix the game and produce it and ship in 3 weeks.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
they see me trolllinnnnn they hatinnnn but we just gunna keep on delaying GT
keep on delaying gt
keep on delaying gt
keep on delaying gt

ugh...oh well Forza 3 ftw

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
See i bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray and as a media extender, so i'm not overly bothered by a delay, but bearing in mind that the PS3 has been out for what, 4 years now, and they said that 'it'll be out by christmas' every single year - i honestly don't believe any release date they throw out, it'll be out when it's out, IF it's ever going to be released. They're more than likely being overly perfectionist about it as there's so much hype surrounding the game, that even a minor, trivial fault would incite the wrath of fanboys that have been waiting forever to get this game.

Plus, if GT5 Prologue is anything to go by....it's not going to be THAT fantastic.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
^^

This will be the games ultimate down fall. Polyphony Digital has repeatedly delayed the game and asked for the patience of gamers under the claim that they wanted to make the game perfect. So now, any flaw, no matter how minor will not tolerated.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Dirgle;1628146 said:
^^

This will be the games ultimate down fall. Polyphony Digital has repeatedly delayed the game and asked for the patience of gamers under the claim that they wanted to make the game perfect. So now, any flaw, no matter how minor will not tolerated.

Yep, this happened to Age of Conan, delayed delayed delayed, released, had bugs and still a lot of them, and was basically destroyed.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Im not even surprised. I was telling a friend on xbl that it would be delayed again for the 348973947th time, but he wasnt trying to believe me.Seems like perfection will be there down fall. Im just glad i recently discovered i can stream .MKV files to the PS3 :D

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Fuzz420;1628152 said:
Im not even surprised. I was telling a friend on xbl that it would be delayed again for the 348973947th time, but he wasnt trying to believe me.Seems like perfection will be there down fall. Im just glad i recently discovered i can stream .MKV files to the PS3 :D

I hate you.... damn microshit won't let me stream .MKV files...you know how long it takes to encode .avi files? FUCKING FOREVER!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Being an ex game developer this could be a result of more than just a few things both both within the developers control and completely out of their hands.

The only thing to be sure is that regardless of the reasons and excuses given this will hurt them. Perhaps not in initial sales but surely in the reviews and expectations of the fans and press. The game will be scrutinized and examined so closely now that any slight dislike or flaw will be torn apart. And a game that would have been viewed as truely epic if released when originally announced has now lost the technilogical edge it may originally have had over other older gen racers and sims.

It will be incredibly difficult for them to pull this off at this point in a good way and not be remembered as one of the games that took forever to come out and be listed amongst the others that have been listed here by others that also took way too long to come out and built up unachievable hype.

I also can't say that the we want it too be flawless before release excuse is as valid as it used to be before the era of internet updates and online consoles capable of fixing bugs after release. This was not an option for most of the other overdue and delayed games listed. Although clearly ANY game should be expected to have no "show stoppers" as they are called in the industry. But the whole point of choosing game consoles over PC for a developer is the assurance that everyone will have the same hardware and not a million different possible configs to code for, so this makes it immensely easier to and generally quick to, produce any game and bring it to market in a timely manner.

So clearly the developer has dropped the ball here or had some unknown other issue such as perhaps a completely changeover of their coding team mid-project or the loss of a key coder, who knows for sure. But something has derailed this flagship project from coming to market, that is for sure without doubt.

Fuzz420

SupraMario;1628183 said:
I hate you.... damn microshit won't let me stream .MKV files...you know how long it takes to encode .avi files? FUCKING FOREVER!

I know microsoft and their shenanigans. We wank MKV support!!!!

Kai;1628238 said:
You can stream .mkv's? Since when?! I've been converting them before use...

All you need is PS3 Media Server. Install that, but you may run into issues if your trying to stream HD 720-1080p over wireless G

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuzz420

RazoE;1628271 said:
the hell's a .mkv?

What is Matroska?

Matroska aims to become THE standard of multimedia container formats. It was derived from a project called MCF, but differentiates from it significantly because it is based on EBML (Extensible Binary Meta Language), a binary derivative of XML. EBML enables the Matroska Development Team to gain significant advantages in terms of future format extensibility, without breaking file support in old parsers.

First, it is essential to clarify exactly "What an Audio/Video container is", to avoid any misunderstandings:

* It is NOT a video or audio compression format (video codec)
* It is an envelope for which there can be many audio, video and subtitles streams, allowing the user to store a complete movie or CD in a single file.

Matroska is designed with the future in mind. It incorporates features you would expect from a modern container format, like:

* Fast seeking in the file
* Chapter entries
* Full metadata (tags) support
* Selectable subtitle/audio/video streams
* Modularly Expendable
* Error resilience (can recover playback even when the stream is damaged)
* Streamable over the internet and local networks (HTTP, CIFS, FTP, etc)
* Menus (like DVDs have)

Matroska is an open standards project. This means for personal use it is absolutely free to use and that the technical specifications describing the bitstream are open to everybody, even to companies that would like to support it in their products. The source code of the libraries developed by the Matroska Development Team is licensed under GNU L-GPL. In addition to that, there are also free parsing and playback libraries available under the BSD license, for commercial software and Hardware adoption.

The Matroska has the following goals:

* Create and document a modern, flexible and cross-platform Audio/Video container format, in combination with an open codec API to form a free and open media framework
* Establish Matroska as the opensource alternative to existing containers such as AVI, ASF, MOV, RM, MP4, MPG ES
* Develop a set of tools for the creation, editing and implementation of Matroska files
* Develop libraries and tools for software developers to be able to support Matroska in their applications
* Prepare hardware support of Matroska files in next generations standalone units, in close cooperation with device manufacturers
* Support adoption and implementation of Matroska's in open architectures like FFmpeg, VLC or GStreamer (Multimedia Framework for Linux , equivalent to Microsoft (TM) DirectShow (R) for Windows (TM))
* Launch a set of DirectShow filters for playback and creation of Matroska files on Windows (TM) Operating Systems

We invite every interested developer to join our team and to help us to achieve these goals. While most of the existing Matroska code is in C++ we are also interested in C and Java programmers joining us.

http://www.matroska.org/

I would also recommend The Combined Community Codec Pack + VLC for ultimate video playback on your pc

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I am perfectly content to wait another 6 months if I need to for them to work out any bugs. They have been exceptional in the past and there has simply been NO OTHER racing simulator for a console to compete with ANY of the gt series at their respective release dates.

GT5 will be by far the best sim for driving if they can deliver what they have promised so far. Forza is fun and all, but the realism is just not there. It's a fun arcade-sim, but not a real simulator in the way gran turismo has been. With the addition of damage and possibly rolling (?) and cockpit view that actually the car you're in, I don't see anything touching GT5 for a long time.

I plan on buying a PS3 SOLELY for GT5. Sure, I'll use it for media and stuff too, but really its alllllllll about GT5. :)

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I know all the guys out there will argue which is better, but to me the veriety of cars is what I like, and forza just doesn't have enough.

But this is a blessing in disguise for me, my ps3 was stolen last week.

Also did anyone else see that statement from kazunori? Where he said the game was ready to go back in march but sony keeps delaying it for timing perposes?

They still say it'll be out before christmas, but remember gt4 was delayed a year and a half and ended coming out in feb.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
SupraMario;1628183 said:

Bro, I don't know about you, but you have not googled hard enough - a 360 will stream a MKV file all day long over windows media extender - if you install the codec packs to the PC first ;)

But it is kind of stupid the way it does it... it will actually load your file to your computer ram and then stream it over the network... a buddy and I were playing back a full blu ray rip of Avatar (15 gb file) and it loaded the whole thing to his ram (and yeah, that was almost all of his ram usage - he has 16gb) so yeah - his xbox played it just fine on his 55in TV - you just gotta know how to make it work. :p

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Setheroo;1628490 said:
Bro, I don't know about you, but you have not googled hard enough - a 360 will stream a MKV file all day long over windows media extender - if you install the codec packs to the PC first ;)

But it is kind of stupid the way it does it... it will actually load your file to your computer ram and then stream it over the network... a buddy and I were playing back a full blu ray rip of Avatar (15 gb file) and it loaded the whole thing to his ram (and yeah, that was almost all of his ram usage - he has 16gb) so yeah - his xbox played it just fine on his 55in TV - you just gotta know how to make it work. :p

ROFL! I never knew this, back when XBMC was in its infant stages they said it would do .mkv and then I was happy as fuck....but I waited over a year and it didn't go anywhere so I stopped looking. What extender do you use? I've got a ton of stuff I would love to play but just don't want to convert it to freaking .avi!