Good Idea or Bad

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
I've been wanting to reroute the fuel neck to behind the liscense plate like the old firebirds. I'm just wondering if anybody else has tried it. And what others might think.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well

if you are going to do that. Need to weld to seperate the neck from the cabin as the licence plate puts it square in the cabin (hatch).

I must concur with kwnate... why? No point to such a modification, even if installing a custom fuel cell.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Koenigturbo;1483512 said:
If you do that then, if you ever get rear ended, then say good bye to your world as you know it. :evil5:

It doesn't matter if you put the neck in the back. The fuel tank is in the back of the car anyways.

And I've always liked how the filler neck was brhind the liscense plate. No real reason to move its just something i've always wanted to do. And welding doesn't bother me. Thats what I do for a living. And I have a fuel cell and a mallory 110 fuel pump.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
my nova is like that and its a pain to fill gas. the license plate springs are new and super stiff and you have to hold the pump there.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I saw a study on the G.M. cars that had the filler tube in the back, The reason they moved it is because many times after an rear end colision the filler tube would seperate from the tank and cause a big gas leak and some time it would cause a spark from filler tube seperating from the tank causing an explosion, not because the tank is in the back. Yes the same will happen from an side inpact. apperantly they figure there's more of a chance of getting rear end is more than side inpact.
hey, just telling what I saw on T.V

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Koenigturbo;1483588 said:
I saw a study on the G.M. cars that had the filler tube in the back, The reason they moved it is because many times after an rear end colision the filler tube would seperate from the tank and cause a big gas leak and some time it would cause a spark from filler tube seperating from the tank causing an explosion, not because the tank is in the back. Yes the same will happen from an side inpact. apperantly they figure there's more of a chance of getting rear end is more than side inpact.
hey, just telling what I saw on T.V

Good thing I was never rear ended in any of my Caprice's :aigo:

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Think of the bright side, when you go to fill up, you don't need to worry about what side your gas fill tube is on or have to wait in line for the pump on the corresponding side =]

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
steve1479;1484155 said:
Think of the bright side, when you go to fill up, you don't need to worry about what side your gas fill tube is on or have to wait in line for the pump on the corresponding side =]

Steve you got that right,
I'm not against the idea at all I think the car looks better.