Good GE engine bad GTE Engine, Can I use the GTE block for rebuild?

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
I have a good running GE thats in my Cressida and I bought a Supra Turbo with rod knock. I want to rebuild the GTE with my GE rotating assembly. As long as the GTE block is in good shape will it be a problem for me to put the GE rotating assembly into the GTE so I can utilize the stock turbo fittings? I'm doing it to get the Supra running. I will be ordering a Turbo rebuild kit with pistons that way its a true turbo engine. I'm pretty sure it should be ok but thought I would get some second opinions.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Crank is the same, rods are the same - pistons are higher compression on the GE. I would replace the pistons like you intend to do. You will need new rings and the cylinders will need to be honed regardless - all this assumes the block meets spec for main bearing clearances and the block deck is flat. I would replace the oil squirter bolts on the GTE block - you will need a GTE oil pump that meets clearance spec. I would get the crank turned and the journals polished at minimum - have the rod ends resized - size the bearings to fit after this work is done.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Yeah I was going to have it honed, and replace the oil pump. as for the crank if the journals look good and aren't out of round which i don't think they'll be I'm just going to run it. Unless its fairly inexpensive at my machine shop to have them just polish the journals. I will also be getting new rings obviously. And for the squirter bolts can I just blast them out with some brake clean? Otherwise where do I get the bolts and how much are they?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I didn't tell you to have the crank turned just to flap my gums - however, it's your motor do as you will.

Same for the squirter bolts - they are a Toyota item - I look forward to seeing the following thread:
"Why is my oil pressure low"

Followed by: "Is this rod knock?"
(this will be due to not having the rod ends resized)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Like I said - go ahead...your motor. I have no intention of writing an engine rebuild 101 guide (which is what you are doing) and you are free to ignore everything I say - I obviously have no clue as to what I'm doing and post just to make myself feel important. Just to warn you - I have a nasty habit of saying "I told you so" ;)

I will say that you are assuming there is zero crank journal wear, zero rod end wear, the GE and GTE blocks are identical (fat chance), and the squirter bolt springs have zero tension fatigue. There's a key issue with the word assume - that particularly applies to what a 7M makes you look like if you short-cut at all.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
why bother putting the rotating assembly into the gte block just swap some aprts from the gte rod knocker into your ge and do an NA T swap. take the head from the GTE as well and slap it on there...its all ALMOST bolt on.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
7Matt-GE;1540737 said:
why bother putting the rotating assembly into the gte block just swap some aprts from the gte rod knocker into your ge and do an NA T swap. take the head from the GTE as well and slap it on there...its all ALMOST bolt on.
You really don't pay attention or know what you're talking about, do you? Turbo feed, 2nd Knock sensor, oil squirters are just some of the differences I can think of off the top of my head. ALMOST doesn't cut it on these motors.
-AM3

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
well..for one thing i don't quite care for your brutal comments so please refrain from them in the future. As for your comments about me not knowing what im saying. IM just going by the guide FOR an NA/T swap. If you wish i can link you to it for further information? :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
funny-pictures-bunny-is-sad.jpg

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
Good conversation . But what this experienced people are trying to say . wiitch i found out the hard way IS.....When u put in this much money time effort and love pushing your car to the limit. What a couple of dollars couple added days to just doing it right.... yes YOU might not exactly think its necessary I understand But it is engine ware. is very hard to notice at that digree. Yes u could just slap things together but it wouldnt be a 100% might turn out 75% power and a loss of 25% power ur missing .. Btw this is an example., but im just saying ...and yes do your research ge compression is different then GTE.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Exactlly, what they are saying is unless you have the proper tools to verify clearances in all the journals and can use your dial bore gauge (presuming you have one) to make sure everything is to speck. Have a reputable machine shop check it all for you so when you bolt it in everything is right.

Now I've checked but I heard the oil squiter's are on back order still with Toyota? I've seen them on Drfitmotions website so I'd check there first.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
I have built many engines and have all the correct tools to do so, and I am aware that the GE has higher compression that is why I'll be putting Turbo pistons in it. I still am going to take my time and check everything I wasn't just going to slap it together. If anything needs machining I will have it machined. Thanks for all the input though!