Good clutch setup for durability?

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I want to daily my supra and drift in the spare time...about one weekend every other month, give or take. I think I wrecked my clutch at the track today, it has a tone of "shudder" and then kinda clunks when it engages and I get moving. Doesn't sound good! lol

Right now there is a springless 6-puck in it, not sure of other specs...bought it that way. I have heard springless wears quick.
What is a good (and affordable preferably) replacement?

I am hoping my LSD isnt going...wife already wants the car gone as is :/

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Sorry about that, middle of finals for me so I am a bit scatter brained.
I am running a 1jz-gte with I believe an R154. I am still a new owner to the car so I am still slightly ignorant/new at identifying everything.
I am not sure of the differences between a 6-puck or others, I am a diesel transplant. Any info helps!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If it were me, driving 95% of the time on the street, I would use a sprung hub disc.
That shudder/clunk might be a warp in the flywheel, if it was overheated...
OR it could be looseness in a drivetrain component, OR a bad ujoint/cv...OR a crack in the rear subframe...OR a bad rear spherical bushing...

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I am going to start by getting it into the garage and getting fluids drained. Hopefully that will give me some indication of what is going on. Based on my (limited) knowledge I keep getting the feeling it is the clutch. Just from the way it engages, it feels completely different than earlier in the day and isn't as grabby as it should be...like its slipping.
Keeping my fingers crossed its the clutch, I wanted to get away from a 6 puck ideally and maybe even go stage 3. Or is that just overkill?

Edit: I was looking at something like this:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ts2-hdss.php

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Friend of mine up here likes to abuse the shit out of his FC, gets practice driving it sideways as often as possible (actually a useful skill up here when it snows, so I don't give him too much shit over it), and my point is, he goes through a clutch every year at least. Usually by then he's due for a flywheel as well. Drifting breaks things, it is as simple as that. The flywheel and clutch get hot, flywheels and pressure plates warp and crack, among other things.

Now, you have a couple of options here. Spend the money right the first time, and get a multi-disc clutch (not what most would call "cheap"), or end up buying a few clutch/flywheel replacements and spend the same amount of money, but have to do the job a lot more times. Up to you.

Effectively what is happening (to my understanding) is that you are "glazing" the flywheel or pressure plate from the heat. In other words, friction material is cooking itself onto the metal. Try driving your car a couple days like normal, and see if it goes away. It has happened to me a couple times, but it has went away each time in my case, so you might get lucky. :)

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I will do that! Thank you for the help guys!

I am changing out all the oils and then I will run it. I do not plan on drifting all that much, but I must say the temptation is there!
From my understanding (at least what my friends say) unsprung isn't a great daily as is, so that may not be helping the situation either?

Should I try picking up a lighter flywheel too possibly?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Honestly, a lighter flywheel doesn't do a whole lot in my opinion.
I have one in my 7mgte, and I had one on my 7nge. Didn't notice much change.