--Golli's MA71 build

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Pity about the hiccup but its awesome to see some progress

I was wondering how long are those bolts that you have on your lower front timing cover, the ones that would hold the AC idler pulley bracket on but you have screwed straight to the timing cover

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Ian, unfortunately I didn't bother checking them when i was putting the rotating assembly together... Lesson learnt!

Dan, as far as I know, they are the ones that belong there. We just put all the bolts in and did them up to make sure the gaskets and FIPG seal up nicely with the contacting services of both the block and timing cover.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
--Golli;1557650 said:
Ian, unfortunately I didn't bother checking them when i was putting the rotating assembly together... Lesson learnt!

Dan, as far as I know, they are the ones that belong there. We just put all the bolts in and did them up to make sure the gaskets and FIPG seal up nicely with the contacting services of both the block and timing cover.

It's usually just the leading edge after they've been hammered into place :(

Make 100% sure the Oil holes are lined up as well G.

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I made sure of that when I got the block back, just never occured to me to slide the driveshaft in for a test fit. For some reason I thought the timing cover had to be on.. =S

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Motor is in the car... lol
Waiting for the seal and o ring for the speedo gear so I can bolt up the exhaust and then its just a matter off putting the last of the engine bay togethere and fitting all the oil lines.

Was hoping to start the car tomorrow, but been flat out with landscaping the backyard and doing extra shifts at work that it might not be done till next week.

It's soooooo close!

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Quick update,

Started the car tonight for the first time!!
Ran quite rough, but after a little while it started to run really well, so quite happy on that front.

Small issues, my FPR is leaking between the rail and the the body of the FPR a slight amount, got a small coolant leak from the water line between the throttle body and the bypass line, and got some smoke coming from the exhaust side of the motor which is most likely a gasket.
Bed time for me now tho, as its 3AM, so I'll jump under the car and suss everything out in the morning.

It's good to have it running again! =D

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Wow awesome news!

It sounds like you haven done the coolant bypass mod? If so now is the time to do it, dont bother running the coolant through the TB and ISC, thats for climates other than ours

--Golli

Feb 6, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
So... This is the end of the rebuild section of this build thread!!
Today the car saw its first 40km's on the road, with the only hiccup being that the water temp and fuel gauge stopped working half way though the drive.

Just to recap, this was what was done to the car while it was off the road:

• Complete engine rebuild with Greddy MHG and ARP Studs
  • Shimmed oil pump
  • ARZ oil feed line
  • New oil squirter valves
  • Filter relocation kit with full flow thermostat controlled oil cooler
  • New oil pressure sender
  • Injectors cleaned & flow checked
  • New timing belt idler pulley & spring
  • Gates racing timing belt
  • New factory harmonic balancer
  • New auxillary belts
  • Radiator recondition
  • All new water hoses excluding to and from radiator
  • Starter motor rebuild with new Toyota genuine contacts
  • New spark plugs and leads
  • New CPS cover
  • ARP flywheel bolts
  • ARP pressure plate bolts
  • New input and output shaft gearbox seals
  • New speedo gear seal and o-ring
  • Jseaman's short shifter mod

I'm not gonna stop the thread here however as I still have a lot of plans for the car.

The first thing I have to do is sort out this electrical problem with my gauges. I think it might be a ground, so I'm gonna pull the cluster out and have a look. I'll also check the continuety of the wire so I can rule that out as the problem, as I have a funny feeling it might be the sender.

After that I will install the the AU Falcon E-fans and wire up the Dakota Digital controller I have for them. I also have to install the 140amp Alternator I got however I need to install a seperate fuse for it and I want to talk to an auto electriction to make sure the rest of the loom will be able to cope with the increased load.