going to look at a 78 celica

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
am going to go check out this 78 celica 5spd. with a rebuilt motor and they are only asking 650. what should i look for? am thinking rear end and stearing compontes, and of corse the engin. its only 5 mi up the road. some old lady with a bad back has to sell it b/c she needs an auto.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Look for serious rust in the usual Supra places. Also check the floor pans, I believe the passenger side is more prone to rusting out than the driver's but it's still a valid concern on both sides. That's the main problem with old Toyotas that aren't either poorly maintained or 7M powered, rust.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
bought it 600. runs and drives good. i didnt see to much rust the underside is really clean, interior needs work, and the doors sag real bad. and they threw in a 79 celica for 50 buck. witch am going to strip and scrap. it really needs a good cleaning. i'll post pics later

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i'll try today. its brown looks like a turd. really needs a good cleaning and the vac lines hooked up right. i got to get to work

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i really have no plans for this. i rather paint one of my supra or my truck before this. there is dents every where. am thinking spray paint it flat back and put my clean 85 p-type rims on it. i need to do a compression check on it before i do anything eles.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I used to have a 79 celica hatchback. I drove it everyday for about four years. It ran hot on me everyday, but it never quit. I ended up selling it to a neighbor after I tried to get the transmission of to replace the clutch and it was seized on the input shaft. I bought me an 83 supra right after that and the rest is history.
Congrats on the new used car Dirtlord.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
My least favorite body of Celica except the liftback of the same gen, but they are practically unkillable. Put some mk2 supra seats in it and paint it satin black, polish those mk2 wheels and call it a day.

Last edited:

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
yeah my 85 p-type rims would not fit. the center hole is bigger on the celica, and the 85 are a deeper rim. i think they came off some other toyota. the vacuum lines car a complete mess. yeah it really is a ugly, but am just going to drive the piss out of it.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i found out what they are. they are 14x6 carroll shelby knock off rims. they came on a special edition toyota van with those rims n centers and some racing stripes. i guess they are more rare then the 85 p-type rims. i pressured washed it today it really cleaned up nice. when i replace all the vac line, and see if i can block off the erg and remove the air pump. i think it should be bad ass.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
theWeezL;1065621 said:
My least favorite body of Celica except the liftback of the same gen,

I think my early MKIII coupe came in a close third for ugliest celica :)

Check the timing belt tensioners. They should be metal, but if they've been replaced sometime in the motor's life, they could have been replaced with plastic. If they're plastic, you're likely going to chew through them....and through the timing cover, and it might be a little hard to locate another 20R one.

Of course if that happens, I guess it's time for a 22/20R hybrid ;)

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
Check the timing belt tensioners. They should be metal, but if they've been replaced sometime in the motor's life, they could have been replaced with plastic. If they're plastic, you're likely going to chew through them....and through the timing cover, and it might be a little hard to locate another 20R one.

yeah the timing belt tensioners are good. they are metal and the timing chain looks good. it has a little play in it. is that normal?