Going rate for 7M head porting these days?

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
I was hoping to get some info to compare against pricing I've heard. Mainly a full exhaust/intake/valve porting for a high performance build with the minimum HP goal of 600hp.

Do many people in the community consider cylinder head porting as part of the high HP builds?

If anyone wants to chime in at what they would pay for a quality port job, please do so.

Thanks for the input.
rm.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
IMO, full porting isn't really needed for your goals.
Removing noticeable casting flaws,
and matching the bottom of the seats to the surrounding port surface is about all that is required.
If for nothing else other than get flow to each cylinder equal.
(I have noticed on many 7M heads, the seat/port mismatch is seldom the same across all ports)
And much of the mismatch between the seats & surrounding port surface goes away when larger valves are installed.

A lot of work around the stem area would help on an 800+ hp, or a NA build.
But that is best left to someone with a flow bench, and 4-valve head experience.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
92nsx;1462460 said:
But you might as well get your whole head rebuilt at the same time.

Yup, the full deal,
Surfaced, chambers cc's matched, and valve stems checked.
While your at it, have them cut out those protrusions in the chamber that are between the valves.
The factory Group-A head, came without them, as do the newer1J/2J heads.
They restrict flow around the valve heads.

What is the going rate for having big valves installed (besides the cost of the valves) these days?
I haven't followed it, since I have done my own valves for years now.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The going rate for installing oversize valves, new seats, seals, springs and retainers is 350 to 400.00

Port jobs are usually done on a time and material basis, you can spend anywhere from 250 to 1200.00 just on the porting alone. About 500 would get you a really nice high end street/strip port job.

But as George already stated, for your power goals, just a cleanup of the casting is more than enough. I can think of a good handfull of 7m's making 650-750 on a fresh stock head with stock valves and stock cams.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I did my own cleaning up with a dremel like tool and some carbide burrs. I spent about 4 or 5 hours on it, came out really nice and I'm quite pleased with it. Other thing I did with my head was new valve springs, so I just stuck some of the Comp Cams 975 springs in. Cheap and relatively easy to get in.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Thanks for your responses and advice. If anybody else can chime in about pricing, what their head work entailed and cost them...would be very helpful. The guy who did the work on my head is looking to possibly become a vendor. I'm just trying to help him out with some of the leg work as much as I can as he has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my build.

Thanks again..rm.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Resurfacing head for metal head gasket - $90
General time labor for dissassemble/reassemble of head including machining seats to fit Comp Cams 975 springs & install new valve seals - 5 hrs @ $80/hr = $400
Polish cams - $60
Shim adjustments - 2 hrs @ $80/hr = $160

Those are all the relevant parts off my bill that I got a couple months ago. This is all canadian dollars though, and machine shop rates can vary quite a bit from region to region.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
radiod;1462639 said:
Resurfacing head for metal head gasket - $90
General time labor for dissassemble/reassemble of head including machining seats to fit Comp Cams 975 springs & install new valve seals - 5 hrs @ $80/hr = $400
Polish cams - $60
Shim adjustments - 2 hrs @ $80/hr = $160

Those are all the relevant parts off my bill that I got a couple months ago. This is all canadian dollars though, and machine shop rates can vary quite a bit from region to region.

So $3.90 or some shiny beads in real money?? ;)

I had $7k Aud in my old 7M head, it's easy to spend money on 24v heads.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I had my head rebuilt with BC springs/retainers, ferrea 1mm oversized valves, 5 angle valve job and a street port for $1800.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I vote SWAIN coatings and polishing manufactures cast flaws ( roughness). Last I heard 7M heads are GREAT and that 1grand could be spent on something else.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
here are some pics of the casting and valve seat ridge under the seat. i ported my head myself and it was not that hard with a lot of research on what to and what not to cut. just getting rid of that bump under the seat and smoothing out all the rough casting really helps flow. i had mine flow tested and it was all within 2% flow.

the other pic is the ridges shrowding the valves. the areas are marked in red. i cut some of this out but not completely. i also had the chambers cced. they were within .5 cc of each other afterwards.

i also ported the exhaust and intake ports. i made sure the intake ports got just a little bit smaller as it flowed into the valve as to try to keep up velocity. the port is already that way. i could have removed more material from the center partition i think.

i will also post some pics of my Swain tech coatings. i think i have a more involved thread in supraforums that i will try to find the link to.

Attachments

• intake ports not ported 1q.JPG
    intake ports not ported 1q.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 45
  • intake ports compare 1q.JPG
    intake ports compare 1q.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 46
  • chamber shrowd in red 1q.JPG
    chamber shrowd in red 1q.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 45
  • chamber and ports 80% 1q.jpg
    chamber and ports 80% 1q.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 42

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Here is the finished head. Swain Tech coated the chamber, exhaust ports and valves. and intake valve surface in the chamber. also the piston skirts had PC-9 coating and the piston top with Gold coat. so the entire chamber is coated to keep heat out of the engine. this was a few years back and was not too cheap then but cost is higher now. i should have installed 1mm larger valves too but did not have the cash.

when i do another head it would be money better spent to install 1mm oversize valves, remove any casting flash under the valve seat, port the chamber to smooth it out and open it up alittle as mentioned in my thread, then coat everything. of course 264 cams and gears. So then the head cost more than the rest of the car.

here is the link to my head info after i did the work.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270783

Attachments

• chamber and valves precoat1q.JPG
    chamber and valves precoat1q.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 31
  • chamber coated with valves 1q.JPG
    chamber coated with valves 1q.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 36