going back

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
well today i was working on my supra na-t project and i still couldnt get it to idle right. Well first i was n/a then i was turbo then i went na-t and now im going back to n/a. just bought another n/a harness from the junk yard and let me tell you, this harness looks fairly new. I seen a tag on it that looked like the part # for it. So wish me luck guys.
Tonight i was able to take all the turbo electronics and turbo acessories off and was able to put on my new harness n/a electronics, plugs, injectors, and all n/a accessories, but havent had time to fire it up yet still have some stuff to do.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
dont want to invest in a jdm motor b/c i already have two spare blocks. Just havent had the money to build on yet.
As for the idling issues, sometimes i can get it to idle and some times not. And when i get it to idle okay it studders and the rpms go down, when i try to drive it i have to tap on the gas to get it to go and then when i shift i have to tap on it again. When i set the timing to 10 degrees, it wont idle right, and when i move it to 15 it starts to get better, and then i move it a little more like to 20 or 25 i can get it to idle right.
I swapped over all of the gte electronics and have tried several afms and tps's, and none of these have solved the problem. Yesterday i even cleaned out my intercooler with gasoline and it was really dirty, i kept cleaning it with the gas until the gas came out clear. And that still didnt help my problem.
Here are some vids of the car and what im talking about. http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/disturbdgt/supra/

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
the cps was aligned up correctly according to tsrm. and i tried building a boost leak tester adn it didnt work out so well when i tried to test out for boost leaks. so i just decided to go back to n/a since i didnt have any problems with the motor while i was n/a. plus i just need it to drive. really dont care for much horsepower out of it right at the moment, i just want to drive it.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
yeah i think yall are right, b/c before i decided to go back n/a i was messing with the tps adn had it turned where the screw on the top was closest to the passenger side of the car, and it idled okay. And then i was able to drive it around the block but then i checked my timing and it was way to advanced. so i adjusted the timing and then it idled like crap again. so thats when i decided to go back to n/a, so i can sit back and retrack and think my n/a-t process over again, so i can know where i may of went wrong with it. And then start all over one day when im not so frustrated about it not runnign on the turbo setup. I just want to drive it, so i may just be n/a for a couple months and hopefully N/A-T by the summer time.

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
brs86supra;944259 said:
When i set the timing to 10 degrees, it wont idle right, and when i move it to 15 it starts to get better, and then i move it a little more like to 20 or 25 i can get it to idle right.
Sounds to me like your CPS is one tooth off. Look down towards the bottom of this link for Cam Position Sensor Alignment:
http://www.jblmk3.com/cars/miscinfo.php

Don't back out now. You're almost there.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
yeah it does sound like my cps is out of alignment, but i have everything aligned up exactly how the picture is. So i dont understand.

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
i cant get sound on any vid but if it is reving to 3k then falling to like 1k then back up to 3k. try swapping your idle IAC(idle air motor), i experianced this on my swap.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
need new tires;948119 said:
i cant get sound on any vid but if it is reving to 3k then falling to like 1k then back up to 3k. try swapping your idle IAC(idle air motor), i experianced this on my swap.
yea, shane is right, your IAC can cause your rpm's to bounce all over the place and sometimes even die if its really bad. If you dont have access to one right now just try cleaning yours out with carb cleaner as a starter and see if that helps any

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
ok thanks guys for all of your help i really appreciate it. All of this is making me want to tear everysingle n/a part off of the car again and try my n/a-t swap again tomorrow.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
well guys today i was messign with the supra. i swapped everything back to n/a and now i cant even get it to start. it will crank but thats all it will do sometimes it will start and idle but then dies imediatly. can anyone help me with any ideas.

brs86supra

Nov 5, 2006
suffolk,va.
im really not sure. but i was looking in my tsrm and i was reading that when the motor is at tdc, you should be able to see the intake cam lobe throught the oil cap hole. is this true? b/c i cant see mine, i have to turn the crank a little bit more inorder to see it. And is someone could please tell me which hole is the pin for the cam pulley supposed to be in? is it the 1st 2nd or 3rd. i have mine in the middle. so if the cam is off this could be the problem to all of my problems with my na-t swap also.