GM Stock Stereo Wiring........What interchanges?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have a dying CD player in my 2005 Trailblazer. I scoured the junkyard today in search of a replacement. I found a good looking unit with all of its knobs in a 2003 Regal. Could I assume that GM used similar stock wiring in everything of that era? I'm unemployed, and a $25 junkyard radio is much more doable that an Ebay $150 replacement. But, I don't want to buy something that won't work for me.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
its possible, not sure if those are the anti theft decks that need to be re-set after removal. though if you take the plug with you, easy enough to re-wire

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GM's can be a pain in the ass if you don't have the code to reset them, at least that's how their factory decks have been for 20-something years now.

However, the more important question, if you're unemployed, couldn't that $25 spent on a junkyard deck be better used?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
te72;1803733 said:
However, the more important question, if you're unemployed, couldn't that $25 spent on a junkyard deck be better used?

Yes it could. The wife has a pretty decent job, so we're not totally desolate. I can swing that, but if the dealer is gonna charge me much more to reset it, it would kill the deal. Any idea what they charge to do that?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
ForcedTorque;1803743 said:
Yes it could. The wife has a pretty decent job, so we're not totally desolate. I can swing that, but if the dealer is gonna charge me much more to reset it, it would kill the deal. Any idea what they charge to do that?

My friend bought a junkyard radio out of an Impala for his Silverado, and I think they charged him about $60 to reset it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ForcedTorque;1803743 said:
Ahh, well of course it's up to you, don't let me steer your choice there. :)

With GM dealers, things can be surprisingly cheap, or surprisingly expensive. I spent $11 to have a DOOR key (nothing special, pull a vin, get a code for the key cutter, cut key) made a couple years ago. You don't even want to KNOW what they charged when a buddy of mine lost the keys to the SS in the river. Needless to say, he didn't wanna borrow it as often after paying for a replacement. ;)

Best thing would be to just call them.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Silver MK3;1803952 said:
My friend bought a junkyard radio out of an Impala for his Silverado, and I think they charged him about $60 to reset it.

That would keep us listening to the radio. I'd buy a cheap aftermarket for $25 +$60. I don't have that to throw away on a radio at this point.

te72;1804393 said:
Ahh, well of course it's up to you, don't let me steer your choice there. :)

With GM dealers, things can be surprisingly cheap, or surprisingly expensive. I spent $11 to have a DOOR key (nothing special, pull a vin, get a code for the key cutter, cut key) made a couple years ago. You don't even want to KNOW what they charged when a buddy of mine lost the keys to the SS in the river. Needless to say, he didn't wanna borrow it as often after paying for a replacement. ;)

Best thing would be to just call them.

Ya, we once tried to get a second key for a 2000 Altima. They wanted $250 for that one, and needless to say, we shared a key for that one til it was gone.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What about wiring an ipod directly into the stock deck somehow, or even the speakers themselves? I've seen that done a couple times. Not necessarily pretty, but should work alright for now. :)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
might be an issue... in 04 gm started incorporating the bcm into the the radio. all of the colorado/canyon trucks were like this. the trailblazers were also like this... but not all of them. easiest way to tell is to disconnect the radio... if you no longer have power windows, dome light or chimes... you got the short straw... they make a aftermarket control setup....(about 60$) or a y harness and bracket to keep the stock unit plugged into the system and mounted behind the dash....