Glowing red exhaust

knucklebuster

Jan 17, 2010
St. Louis
After rebuilding my motor, boring it out and so on... i started the car up and let it idle for a while then put it up to about 3500 to 4000 rpm to clear out the block when i noticed my manifold and exhaust was GLOWING red/orange, the pipes were all super hot but my gauges all read fine. I think it may be my catalytic converter (spelling?) not allowing the gases to escape, is that right or am i wrong? any help is greatly appreciated

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Usually if your CC is blocked up THAT is the part that turns red hot. At least on all of the ones I have messed up....on purpose. lol. Long story. That sounds like there is a much deeper problem then what you are guessing. also would need to know what kind of motor, turbo or not...the basics so we know what we are up against

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
hvyman;1582230 said:
Pull the cat off and look through it. Should be able to see through it.

+1 on this one. If you can't see clearly through it or it looks like it is alot smaller of a hole then that could be your problem. If it is your mani that is glowing hot then it is obviously something stuck in the exhaust somewhere.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
To check for a plugged exhaust. take vacuum readings at idle. raise idle to a constant 3000 rpm. vacuum readings should be within 1-2 inhg, of each other. If vacuum drops way down, at a constant higher rpm, you likely have a plugged exhaust.

Back pressure tester, should be next if the above test fails

As mentioned timing, lean conditions, high loads can also cause glowing manifolds.

Last edited: