Give me reasons to keep the supra.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Okay last year I got started with the tear down of my 87. Motors pulled and ready for a rebuild. But it's been sitting ever since. I can't get the motivation to get my ass in gear and work on it. I loved the car to death when I drove it, but now, I find myself looking for other cars. Particularly sn95 mustang cobras.
Now, which way would you go? Obviously there is some bias here, but I'm needing opinions and good advice.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Most of us have been there before with our Supras. I'm done with that phase and am content knowing that I wouldn't be happy with anything else.

I'm assuming you have a daily since it hasn't been running in a while. You have to decide what you want. In ND you won't be bringing a Supra out for several months so you have time to get it going before 'toy season'.

It's all up to you though. If you don't feel like working on it and would rather just have a toy to play with then just sell it and move on.

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
trust me i was there went on vaca for a week came back. had the motivation to gett her started and since i heard the engine row to life it reminded me why iv worked so hard on her and a slight regret of negletting her. but in the end its up to you. just know i will buy your project XD

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
not the guy to get advice from... but the way I look at it... the supra is totally over-engineered can you say that about a rustang? how much R&D do you think the ford had in comparison to the toyota? All in all the only weakpoint I can find on the toyota is the head bolt torque specs (turbo model 7m). It really comes down to personal preference. If you can't get the 95 ford off your mind, I'd say get one, if only to learn the supra is a better car :D

my favorite thing though... is the comments I get from people who I give rides to. "oh, your car is rock solid compared to this mustang i rode in" LMAO (seriously not joking) In all honesty though, I usually don't hear good things about early 90's mustangs.... unless they're fully built. I mean top to bottom, cage, chevy motor, custom paint. everything.

TBH though I was looking at getting a mustang for my first car, but the more I looked at the specs, build quality, and feedback... the choice made it's-self

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Thing is with the Rustang, there is enough aftermarket support to transform the car into a drift, drag, grip and cruising maching with just bolt-ons so you can switch it up whenever you get bored.

As mentioned in the thread, quality control within the Rustang line-up is not that awesome compared to Toyota so it's your call really since at the end of the day, no matter what we say, you'll be the one driving, not us.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
northdakotakid;1905480 said:
Okay last year I got started with the tear down of my 87. Motors pulled and ready for a rebuild. But it's been sitting ever since. I can't get the motivation to get my ass in gear and work on it. I loved the car to death when I drove it, but now, I find myself looking for other cars. Particularly sn95 mustang cobras.
Now, which way would you go? Obviously there is some bias here, but I'm needing opinions and good advice.

Reasons? Who needs to give you more than one..

Listen to the way a built 7m sounds..

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
89jdm7m;1905507 said:
a stock turbo 7m w/ full exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler = :naughty:

doesn't even need to be built, just a little modified

Oh but hearing one with a set of cams and a valvetrain upgrade running close to 8k rpms is heavenly.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IndigoMKII;1905509 said:
Oh but hearing one with a set of cams and a valvetrain upgrade running close to 8k rpms is heavenly.
not my bag of chips... I just love mid-range torque. that is all. for me pure sex occurs at cruising rpms w/ the setup I mentioned.

MadRPM;1905510 said:
Straight pipe + boosted car = win
this, but choosing a good muffler too, makes it sound all smooth and sexy... just running a straight pipe WILL make your interior fall apart LOL... my next exhaust will most likely be 3.5" custom w/ resonator + muffler for that reason.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Then there’s another reason, although I myself love to drive mine, and love the reliability. I remember back in the mid to late seventies we all had these five, six, and seven year old Detroit cars with gas guzzling engines. As time went on we started asking ourselves why do we want these old hemi's, boss’s, six packs, heavy chevy's, ect. So we started moving on to other cars. Eventually many were junked and destroyed, and then wala a quick 25 years later what do you know they are priceless gems. Many folks such as myself kept our old cars and kept restoring them and some like me daily driving them. I see this happening already in the Supra community with our cars. Even here on all the Supra related forums the traffic is down, the cars are quickly going to the junkyard at the same time our aftermarket suppliers are finally getting on board. In time our Supras and going to be cars brought across the auctioning block at Barrett Jackson, I believe it's inevitable due to the Supras original popularity.

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
IndigoMKII;1905502 said:
Reasons? Who needs to give you more than one..

Listen to the way a built 7m sounds..

This^

Nothing in this world would ever come close to the Sound of a Boosted Supra, whether its 7m,1j,or 2j.

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
The main reason for me to not ever give up my supra is the way it makes me feel. Cheesy I know, but I don't live in that big of a city and I have maybe seen 1 or two more around here. Getting my car all shined up for the summer is fun for me. Driving around with the windows rolled down, on a nice summer day it's nice sticking out and being different with my supra. I get compliments from time to time from people who pay close attention and realize is not a 240 or a probe lol. Just depends on how it made you feel when it was running. That decision is all on you.

Sly-0ne

Aug 1, 2012
Lowell,ma
You already have the car and the motor picked..
car is worth a little less in a resale
stick to your guns and make one bad ass rustang eater!!
c'mon u asked a bunch of Supra owners to convince you!!
just my 2 cents

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
just take a break, and enjoy other things. I took a 5 year hiatus from working on cars all together. that was after over 10 years of wrenching as a hobby. now that I am back I find myself going to the garage to get something done on the supra on the regular. and working on the car is enjoyable again. if it is not fun you won't do a good job.

in regards to the SN95 NOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and this is coming from a ford fan with 20 years of mustang ownership. DON'T DO IT. there is no comparing the quality of a MK3 to a SN95 mustang. next to the mustang II those are the biggest piles of shit to ever disgrace the mustang brand.

If you are done with your MK3 thats fine, people taste changes. but i think you will be disappointed with a SN 95.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
As mentioned, I am not looking at a regular GT, but a Cobra, not sure if that makes a difference in build quality, but I thought I would throw that out there.

I do remember absolutely loving driving the Supra every time I got behind the wheel, which always surprised me since it was NA at the time. Up here in Fargo, there is 1 or maybe 2 other mk3's around, and I did get compliments on it a lot. I remember walking out of Wal-Mart one day to have an older gentlemen standing there looking at my car. He used to be a Toyota dealer and said that he loved the Supras. He used to have a turbo one and talked about all the stuff done to it, etc. "Got it going 150 back in the day" he said. I do enjoy it when that happens.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
just sit in the driver seat take the shifter in one hand steering wheel in the other and then remember the days you were driving it.. u should be ok after that memory lane trip... because if you get rid of it that is all you'd have memories

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
a stock SN 95 cobra 5.0 makes 240 hp and 280 ftlbs and does a mid to high 14 in the quarter mile. making its acceleration comparable with a stock MK3. have you ever driven a SN95? I did not drive a cobra, but the GT I drove was an embarrassment and it was pretty much brand new. The supra is superior in every way except aftermarket support.

the modular 4.6 is a bad ass motor, making 300 hp and would be a good power train upgrade comparing stock to stock. But the interior suspension, and quality, ect do not compare to the MK3.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Nougie;1905519 said:
This^

Nothing in this world would ever come close to the Sound of a Boosted Supra, whether its 7m,1j,or 2j.
single turbo rb's sound like pure sex as well... OT, I know (._.)

but yes I do miss getting compliments on my car... even though the one in my mind was my 100% stock bright red 89 turbo. rollin '92 wheels. I got a lot of comments on how well kept it was.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I just resurrected my supra from a 4 month slumber because of a leaking high pressure hose. I was too lazy and not motivated enough to get off my ass and just fix it. I almost sold it. Last week i replaced the hose and once i drove it i felt like idiot for not doing it sooner.