Ghost/creepy stories for Halloween

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
YAY!

Back a bazillion years ago when I still lived at home (and before we had a dog), my mom was at church one night for choir practice. I was sitting in my mom's bedroom reading a book. My baby sister Megan came out of the bathroom and was walking down the hall.

When she passed the stairway to the finished basement, there was a loud, angry snarl from the basement. Sounded like a very large, pissed off rottweiler.

Seeing how I'm mostly crazy and occasionally have aural hallucinations, I figured that's what happened.

'Til I looked up and saw Megan plastered against the wall, peering down the staircase.

"Did you just hear a growl?" I asked her.

"Yeah...."

So my siblings and I armed ourselves with a broom and a baseball bat and went downstairs, wondering, if, well... maybe something came through the window?

And we found nothing.

Trufax.

NEXT.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Is there some opposite noise that makes you feel really safe?

But anyway, I can't say I've had any ghost experiences, aside from the odd creepy feeling here or there.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
My dad died on 05/15/05, his favorite color was green, He was an HVAC installer and a plumber. He worked on cars alot and I stole his tools when I was a kid. In 2006 My wife and I bought our first house. The house was owned by smokers, so before we moved in I painted the whole house. One night I was at the house painting with my friend and he was using the bathroom in the house so I used the one in my garage. As I am sitting on the john I look up an right before my eyes is the date that my Dad died in green on the water heater, Coincidence? Ok yeah I can buy that.

Tattoo of the date he died and the writing on the water heater
p1634688_1.jpg

Very soon after this I start to notice stuff in the garage missing or moved, Sockets gone lighters missing, missed placed soda cans.. I figured that they had fallen behind a bench or under a tool chest. I recently tore out a wall and moved the entire garage out into the drive way and did not find a single missing tool?? ( I think my dad is fucking with me in retaliation for my thefts)

Last April my Mom came out from Philadelphia and my Dad came with her. I have his remains at my house now, Since he arrived, I have been seeing things out of the corner of my eye, going to the bath room and seeing him sitting in my lazy boy, overhead lights going off and not being able to turn them back on, Air filtration fans cycling from low to high and then back down to low. Neither my Wife nor I ever really feel alone in the house. Now this is the strange part in my opinion. We just turned the guest room into the babies room and when I moved the chest with my Dads remains into the hall from the room I could swear I smell his cologne.

I know when they moved back to Philly after he got laid off from Boeing he felt really guilty for leaving me here because I never really wanted to live in Washington and moved here because of him getting hired here. He never wanted to move back to PA and had no choice when they lost the house. I think he just wants to keep an eye on me and wants to be in Washington State.

Last edited:

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
my sister has a picture of her and her friend ashing a smoke out the window. In that window there is clearly a womans face looking at them. No way its a reflection of light in any shape way or form. The lips and the detail in the eyes make that obvious to me. Around the same time I was taking care of my neighbors dog. Watching tv late one night the dog was sleeping infront of the tv. Out of no where she wakes up and goes ape shit barking at the open window. Hair on her back stood straight up and I'd never seen her bare her teeth before but she was angry about something. This window is directly above the window that my sisters picture was taken in.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
For many years my house was 'haunted' by my mom's late brother. He would fiddle with lights, shut them off when no one was in the room. Unplug the toaster at night, reset the microwave's clock, fiddle with other clocks. Nothing horrible, but enough that she knew he was there.

Mattsplat, you should find some of your dad's writing and compare it. Because that would be rediculously creepy if it matched.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Yeah so do we DT. What I think , is that it takes a lot of energy to bridge the gap between worlds and my Dad communicated in a way that was nearly unmistakable to me. I think of the things that remind me of him and most would be too ambiguous . He was a Marine, Bowled a few 300 games, and worked at Boeing. None of these things are unique. Every one works at Boeing around here, 300 games although hard are not unheard of , And a lot of men his age were/are Marines. So the combination of date of death, favorite color and work history all lead to a specific end.

I am sure that all of this could be explained away. Old house with old wiring, Forgetfulness, Coincidence, Wishful thinking. I am a skeptic, I have taken alot of ghost tours. I stayed on the Queen Mary, I work and live just down the street from Northern State Hospital which was on TAPS, I have been to Fort Mifflin and Fort Delaware in Philly and Delaware respectively . I watch alot of paranormal TV and pick it apart alot. I am in no means a wish washy pseudo psychic wanna be. This is just what it is.

Oh and I think Jayhall has actually see the waterheater as well.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I think even if a ghost showed up right in front of me punched me in the gonads, I still wouldn't believe in them...To much scooby doo I guess!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Story #1)

Years ago (30ish), my parents bought their house from my now late grandfather, whom inherited it from his father, my Great Grandpa Nick.

Nick lived here for most of his life along with his wife, my Great Grandma. The house was a serious fixer-upper when they bought it, but it was dirt cheap. Bolted to the kitchen floor with huge lag bolts was a steel dog house for Willy, the dog they inherited with the house. He was a German Shepherd that was fearless. Nothing shook this dog. You could drop a huge steel frying pan near it while it was sleeping, and it would just pick it's head up and look. Shoot a gun near it, no problem. Scream at it, only to get a vacant stare in return.

The phone was located right above the dog house. The place used to be a barn, and was converted to a house (I believe by my grandpa Nick). It was a rickety shack, drafty, old, dusty, but it was dry and with a wood stove pumping furiously from the basement, it was also warm.

My mom, not feeling like helping my dad with the house work was sitting in the kitchen at the table talking on the phone. She had zero knowledge of either of the two people who used to live in this house. They were dead long before she came into my dad's life. That day that my mom decided not to help my dad out, he lost his temper and told her he'd rip the phone off the wall if she didn't get off it and help. She did, until dusk when they went back to their apartment a few miles away for the night.

The next morning when my parents arrived back at the house, the dog house was ripped right out of the floor (remember it was lag bolted), the dog was whimpering in the corner, and the phone was ripped out of the wall all the way down to the baseboard trim. My dad swears to this day that he didn't do it. (and my mom vouches that he never left the apartment after they went back the night before) Creepy.

Story #2- same house only a few years later, 1981- the year my brother was born. My dad was working two jobs so my mom could stay at home and be mom. They didn't want daycare raising their kids (which was amazing and I routinely thank them for that to this day. We are a very, very tightly knit family) My brother was sitting on the kitchen table in one of those baby rockers with a handle. Mom was reading a book. (note: mom still knew nothing about the two previous owners, nor had she ever seen pictures of them)

She felt a strange sensation and looked toward the stairs that lead up to the bedroom. There was a lady standing there staring at her. In disbelief, my mom jumped up and ran to the stairs, which are only a few feet from where she was sitting. The lady turned away, walked up the stairs and around the corner into the bedroom which is right over the kitchen. The stairs made the creaking sound that they still do to this day when a full weight grownup walks on them. She was wearing orthopedic shoes. (this is creepy, pay attention to that detail) My mom grabbed my brother and ran up after her. Walked into the bedroom (her and my dad's room). Nobody there. Nothing. Silence.

My dad came home from work very late that night and my mom explained it all to him. The next day they looked at old family photo albums from my dad's side. My mom pointed out the lady in the photo album. It was my great grandmother. She nearly fainted when she looked at my grandma's feet and saw orthopedic shoes. My dad and grandfather (dad's dad) confirmed.

Story #3)

For years when I was growing up I'd be up for school in the morning as my dad would be leaving for work. He'd nonchalantly ask my older brother, myself, and my younger sister if we'd been up at all last night to use the bathroom, grab a drink, anything. The answer was almost always a unanimous "No." He never explained further. It wasn't until I was about 18 that he let us know what he kept asking for. Numerous times while we'd all be sleeping, he'd hear footsteps going downstairs. There's a gate at the bottom of the steps so the dog can't get into the liivingroom. He'd hear the gate unlatch, re-latch. Then nothing.

He'd also hear it very early in the morning when his shifts changed. 5am, he'd hear the footsteps come downstairs. Gate unlatch, re-latch. Silence. Several years ago, I was in a vulnerable position. I was in the bathroom, pooping no less, (this sucked) at about 3am. I 'd just gotten home from hanging out with some friends. I heard footsteps come down the stairs. Gate open. Gate close. Silence. I finished my business quickly, walked out of the bathroom to find our then 9yr old yellow lab cringing in a corner where he never, ever goes. Tail tucked tightly between his legs, fur on his neck standing straight up, and a low, low growl that I'd NEVER heard him do before. He was staring directly at the stairs and wouldn't break his stare even when I tried to pet him and calm him down. It took several minutes for him to relax.

I've heard those footsteps many times since then. The dog is a bit older now, and usually just picks his head up and stares at the stairway. Sometimes the hair on his neck will stand up, but I think he's not as scared as that first time.

Story#4) I've always been the last one home/last to bed. In the winter, I'd always be the last one to check the wood stove which is located in the basement. The only part of the basement that's as old as the rest of the house. Every so often I'll get an eerie feeling that I'm being watched. And on more than one occasion I'd swear that I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. I never felt threatened, just creeped out a bit.

Story#5) My bedroom is half in the old portion of the house (original) and half in the new portion (built about fifteen years ago). My printer, camera, and iPod sit on the desk under the overhang where the old house ended. That overhang was part of one of the old upstairs bedrooms. Randomly one day, my printer turned on, then off. My camera, which was NOT hooked to anything, turned on and off. Then my iPod, which was dead when I put it there. Flicked on, then blacked out.

When I think about it all at once, it's kinda creepy, but as I said before, I've never felt threatened.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mattsplat72;1635659 said:
^ Chilly, We had a cat named Jack. that cat never ever stayed in an open room. He would meow like mad and run under a table or onto the dinning room chair. he didn't stay long . only maybe a year.

Right on man.

That's odd!

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I have a few real experiences to share.

First story.
I've lived in the same apartment in a fourth floor literally my whole life. My parents had purchased it about a year or 2 before I was born. Dad passed away when I was 12 and it was just my mom and I until I got my dog at about the age of 13 or so. It's a 19 floor building, first floor is the lobby. There's 12 apartments per floor and 3 elevators that are in the middle of each floor. 2 sets of staircases for fire emergencies and they're placed in the middle of each 6 apartments (one for the left wing and one for the right wing). Next to the elevators, on the left wing (my wing as I live in the far left corner) there's a trash chute in each floor, just this one chute with a closed door.

So one night, I was about 13 back then, at about.... 7pm or so, my mother heads out to throw some garbage bags down the shutter. While she's about halfway towards the chute, one of the elevators opens and this cat comes out alone. The thing is this. The cat was about a bit over 1 foot tall on all 4 legs. It was white with black spots like a cow's. Its tail was cut just like on a Doberman dog. Its eyes were fully red on white and it was not a light effect since we don't have fluorescent lighting in the hallway. It had a thick, red, spiked collar. To top it off its "back" was really thick and firm like a dog's and not soft and smooth like a cat's. So that catdog (Gatoperro as I call it in Spanish when I tell the story) sees us and it makes a dash for our apartment in the far corner. It runs in and starts jumping all over the place. We tried to scare the damn thing away with brooms but each time we swung at it, it would hop or sprint and it would do a very very deep, short bark. Not once did it "meow", not once. Between our swings and mom's "Dios te reprenda!" we managed to get it out of the house and we closed the door shut. There's about a 3/4 inch space in one corner of the main door where it stuck its paw and started trying to scratch at us while it "barked". After a minute or 2 it gave up and we just kept staring at the door. A few seconds after it gave up we heard the door of the closest stairwell open and close without hearing any footsteps of any kind, and when you've lived here for so long you learn to hear everyone else's footsteps in that hallway. Has a damn good resonance. We opened the door and it wasn't there anymore.

A few years after that happened, I asked mom if she remembered that. She said, "Oh you remember all those times we saw that thing?". I answered, ".... all those times? Mom, I only saw it one time. What the hell are you talking about?". That's when she told me that on 2 other occassions she had called for the elevators and when the doors opened, the cat would be there alone. She had refused to tell me when I was younger as not to scare the crap out of me.

Story 2.5
It's a 2.5 since it technically involves a similar occurrence but I only have a damned clear memory of one of the occurrences. This actually happened to me just last month. My bed is a solid, wooden frame without legs. Touches the floor all around; it's uncomfortable but beats the floor. Single mattress. So that one particular night about a month ago I was retelling the first story to my girlfriend because she'd had a bad experience with a friend of mine and I was giving her an explanation about something I'm not going to talk about here. So after telling her the story, I bid her goodnight, I play some Xbox until a bit after 3am and then head for bed. My dog sleeps on my bed in the side since my mattress is not as wide as the bed base unless he feels cold and sticks to my face (he's a small dog). I'm not sure how long I was asleep for, but it was still dark outside so it must've been between 3:20am to 5:30am when it started happening. I heard this extremely loud "meeeeeeeeooooooowwwwwww" as if it was literally 1 or 2 feet away from me. I opened my eyes sharply but lay still because I felt my bed shaking. Immediately I thought, "oh shit, earthquake again". I'm still a bit panicky after the explosion of the Gulf petrol tanks that happened here in Puerto Rico a few months ago and having the 20 second mild earthquake we had earlier too, not a comfortable feeling in a large building surrounded by other buildings. So I started looking around at my room and noticed that the floor fan (4 feet high, single tube) wasn't shaking. I looked at the hung clothes inside my closet (doors are broken) and noticed they weren't moving. So I looked for my dog and noticed it wasn't him doing anything cuz he was fast asleep. So I touched the bed and it was indeed shaking. I stretched out and touched 2 of the walls and they weren't shaking and that's when I started to freak out a bit. About 15 seconds after it began, I heard the cat "meow" louder again, as if it was down in the park we have downstairs for our building (my window faces it). I know it wasn't a neighbor's cat since the only person that has cats that love to shag at night in the whole area lives in another building and I know their sounds already. It wasn't the same sound at all and it was just these 2 meows. About..... 5 seconds after the second meow, my bed stops shaking and I wake up my dog. He pretty much just lay there looking all over the room and eventually did the whole stand up, spin around, and lie down again thing.

Next day, I wake up and use Google to find any earthquakes. Nothing. I call up my best friend and he says nothing. I called my mother and nothing. Asked my girlfriend and nothing. Heck, I even asked on facebook and everyone said nothing. Last earthquake Google mentioned was the first one I talked about here. I spoke with a few of my neighbors, some I know were awake and some that weren't but hear things, and nothing. I went downstairs and spoke with the guard that was on watch and nothing at all either (real honest man, that one).

Frankly, I don't know what it was that happened. Frankly, I'm an agnostic but I know enough not to mess around with these kinds of things and I'm not too interested in finding out what the hell happened. I know I wasn't having a strong illusion as I did pinch myself while the shaking happened.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
RazoE;1637749 said:
IcfrvFPCGomoxzh6fj1mkzMPo1_400.gif

Aqui esta tu "Gatoperro"..:yikes:

Hahahaha! I knew someone would post that picture or something sooner or later. I call it "gatoperro" cuz I just can't come up with another way of calling it.

I wish I could take a picture of it Theresa. Actually, I don't think I wish to.... I haven't *seen* it for years. I should really ask my mother when was the last time she saw it. I'm 25 now, so it was about 12 years ago.

A lot of other weird stuff has happened in this building, some realistic and some...... you know, "weird". There was also a period of time for a few years that mom would wake up screaming loudly. As in, literally just screaming. A few times we found what we call "changos" or "guabairos" making sounds in the big tree that's in the park downstairs.

chango2.jpg

The odd thing is, about twice as far as I remember, a few of them would perch themselves in the windows in mom's room to make noises while it was still dark out. First time she told me I told her she just didn't know how to tell distance with sounds and shrugged it off. The next time it happened I had actually gone into her room and noticed they were making sounds right at her window and that she wasn't joking. I got curious to see if those birds were nesting in the big tree or the ones at the end of our parking lot but the only nests I found were of other small local birds, including "reinitas" and brown pigeons.

Blackburnian-Warbler-3.jpg

I really do wish I had a camera around each time something happens. Most of my friends say that a shrink should've locked me up long ago, but I keep swearing to them by anything they want that I'm not kidding or making stuff up. I know for a fact that a few of the other residents in this building practice weird extracurricular activities. I'm not one to believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, but as far as the whole "demon" thing goes.... well, I'd really rather not know for a fact.

Mom's a really devoted christian and we do have our share of disagreements in many things (particularly religion), but I try not to comment when she tells me about her own experiences and the experiences from other acquaintances of hers when delving into this specific subject.

That reminds me of something else that happened 2 weeks ago. I live pretty much in the middle of the city. I had to go to a friend's house about 2 minutes away. I remember that a few days before that I was joking with a friend about never finding literal pigs in the city, just people who are pigs. So I was about 6 meters away from the point where I had to turn right to go into my friend's neighborhood when I stopped to let a pedestrian cross the road from my left to my right. As soon as the lady crosses, I look to my 3 o clock and notice this 2 and a half feet tall black pig crossing the road in the opposite direction to the lady. I didn't know whether to laugh, get shocked, or get down from the car and try to catch it. I have absolutely no idea where the hell the pig came from and no one was making a dash for it. I watched it for about a minute until I decided to just go. 3 minutes later I'm at my friend's house and I remember I had my camera in my pocket. I drove out and tried to search for it but never found the pig again.

I retold the story to my mother 2 days ago having one of the best laughs of the week. She looks at me seriously and says, "Noel, that was a demon you saw." See mom, now you had to go and ruin it.