Getting close to the actual swap! Few questions

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1678236 said:
I paid a little over a grand for my OS Giken. Well worth it.

Definitely not bad considering I paid something like $700 with a new OEM flywheel. Does OS have any US based distributors?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes. On their site is the links to them.

Anything that can be done yo avoid stress on the crank is a good thing.

I plan on doing a 2JZ build and will be using billet mains along with having everything spun balanced along with a main girdle with L19 hardware. Sure, it will cost a pretty penny but handle a load of power. I won't be posting that build here those since it is not "Supra" related enough to go in the gallery and I don't want another infraction, I will let you guys know when I start it in my signature.

Back on topic, if you are spending 500-600 on a clutch, save your money and do a twin disk. You will be happy because it will hold a lot of power and continue to hold when it gets hot and will wear less than the standard six puck, assuming you know how to drive stick and don't ride your clutch everywhere.

I only use my clutch when moving from a stop and any highway racing. Other than that, it is all gearing up and down by rev matching. Learn to do it if you don't know how, your left leg will be happy.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
IBoughtASupra;1678286 said:
Anything that can be done yo avoid stress on the crank is a good thing.

Back on topic, if you are spending 500-600 on a clutch, save your money and do a twin disk. You will be happy because it will hold a lot of power and continue to hold when it gets hot and will wear less than the standard six puck, assuming you know how to drive stick and don't ride your clutch everywhere.

I only use my clutch when moving from a stop and any highway racing. Other than that, it is all gearing up and down by rev matching. Learn to do it if you don't know how, your left leg will be happy.

I've done 'rev match' shifting before, I'm just gonna stick to using a clutch.

I think i might end up just puckering up and spending the cash on a multidisk clutch.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Dylan JZ;1678854 said:
Increased synchro wear FTL.

LOL! If you don't know how to do it, you will grind every gear. If you want to see my shynchkro after six years, I can show you. That was with a six puck and rev matching all the time. My synchros looked like new.

Here are pictures.

a6898a71-eb2b-f635.jpg
a6898a71-eb4b-d1ec.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
mkiiichip;1678886 said:
Thats not the business side of the synchro. The tapered part is the part that wears.

Mine still had the ridges on the inside as well. All were in spec and actually in the middle, not on the far end which would indicate a lot of wear.