Getting close to the actual swap! Few questions

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Hey Guys,

First off I still need a few items! Here is my WTB thread, post in there, pm me or in this thread if you have any of those items :)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?136087-***Few-Misc.-Parts-Needed***

My Car is an 87 turbo 5 speed that is getting a 1JZ swap, not soon enough.

As some of you know, I am going to be running the Haltech PS2K.
It has a built in map sensor, but I am planning on using a GM 3 bar map sensor (along with possibly a 2JZ injector resistor)
- So, what is needed to wire those into my existing harness?

On the wiring topic, what has to be re-wired under-dash / in the fuse block?

I have been looking for a nice clutch for awhile now, I am looking at the ACT Extreme six puck - rated at 603lb/ft.
- What are you guys running/recommending?

- Can someone describe and/or take a few pics of how the PS system is routed?

- I am running a few GReddy gauges, I was thinking of running oil temp in one of the two stock twins oil feed ports.
Where are you guys running the sensors for oil temp, oil psi and coolant temp?

I want to thank you guys in advance for the help!

Sam

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
87M-GTE;1676253 said:
- Can someone describe and/or take a few pics of how the PS system is routed?

Hey Sam,

This was my solution for using the MKIV pressure line. The bracket is one i found on some car at a junkyard. I believe it was a tranny cooler line bracket
You can also see the return running parallel with the ac line. Going to the cooler, then back up to the res.

022p.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

On the gauge sensor placment, the pressure sensor can go behind the AC pump. For oil temp the sensor needs to be in a location that sees a considerable amount of flow past the sensor. With a turbo oil feed blocked off, and a sensor in its place, I dont know if there will be oil flowing in that area anymore. Id put it near the filter, I know oil flows there.

Last edited:

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Thanks for the reply!

Is this correct?
101010101.jpg

In words,

Pump --> "cooler" (which is just those lines under the oil pan) --> Rack
Rack --> Resivoir --> Top of the pump?

mkiiichip;1676260 said:
On the gauge sensor placment, the pressure sensor can go behind the AC pump. For oil temp the sensor needs to be in a location that sees a considerable amount of flow past the sensor. With a turbo oil feed blocked off, and a sensor in its place, I dont know if there will be oil flowing in that area anymore. Id put it near the filter, I know oil flows there.

Where behind the AC pump? In the stock pressure sensor location? I have an oil filter re-loc thats goin on, I was gonnna custom make a 4'' hard pipe That can have the two sensors on that in between the filter housing and filter. So a temp sensor in one of the two oil feed ports is a bad idea?

Thanks again!

Sam

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I wouldn't go much over a 2800lb pressure plate, otherwise one runs the risk of crankwalk..

My Action 6-puck (sprung) with HD-PP(2800lb) is supposed to hold around 500ft.lbs, and the clutch is still rather streetable IMO. The equivalent ACT setup is the "HDG6."

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
87M-GTE;1676449 said:
Pump --> "cooler" (which is just those lines under the oil pan) --> Rack
Rack --> Resivoir --> Top of the pump?

Thats right.

87M-GTE;1676449 said:
So a temp sensor in one of the two oil feed ports is a bad idea?

IDK, if there is not any oil flowing past that location, the reading would be extremly slow to respond. As there would only be a pocket of stagnant oil in that location.

The reason I say this is because on a NA 2J, there is not even oil in those locations until modifications are made to the block. Thats why 2J NA-T guys either have a very long oil line made from the oil filter side, or they open the block and drill out some passages from the inside, to make oil available to the stock oil feed location.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Dylan JZ;1676663 said:
I wouldn't go much over a 2800lb pressure plate, otherwise one runs the risk of crankwalk..

My Action 6-puck (sprung) with HD-PP(2800lb) is supposed to hold around 500ft.lbs, and the clutch is still rather streetable IMO. The equivalent ACT setup is the "HDG6."

Thanks for the responce!

I'd like to hear what other modded 1JZ guys are running for clutches

mkiiichip;1676689 said:
IDK, if there is not any oil flowing past that location, the reading would be extremly slow to respond. As there would only be a pocket of stagnant oil in that location.

The reason I say this is because on a NA 2J, there is not even oil in those locations until modifications are made to the block. Thats why 2J NA-T guys either have a very long oil line made from the oil filter side, or they open the block and drill out some passages from the inside, to make oil available to the stock oil feed location.

Well I think there would good oil flow/psi at the two stock feed ports.
Can anyone else confirm this?

Again, Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it

Sam

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
OS Giken clutch here.

Coolant sensors should go before the thermostat.

Oil sensors should be placed on the intake side. Makes no sense to put the oil sensors on the exhaust side since the heat from the manifold will kill it. Your oil kit is using a sandwich plate which should be able to take at least one sensor. You can use the oil switch behind the A/C for pressure by using the DriftMotion line.

Is your 1JZ internally stock?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
IBoughtASupra;1676917 said:
OS Giken clutch here

Coolant sensors should go before the thermostat.

Oil sensors should be placed on the intake side. Makes no sense to put the oil sensors on the exhaust side since the heat from the manifold will kill it. Your oil kit is using a sandwich plate which should be able to take at least one sensor. You can use the oil switch behind the A/C for pressure by using the DriftMotion line.

Is your 1JZ internally stock?

I'd like to spend <$1000 on a clutch, so OSG is kinda ruled out there..

Yes, internally stock short block.

My sandwich plate doesn't have any locations for sensors unfortunately.
Thats why I am thinking of making a small section of metal pipe between the filter housing and filter to accomodate my oil temp and psi.

Thanks guys!
Sam

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
OS Giken really hold the power, there dual clutch is nice and doesn't add a heavy load pressure plate on the crank. Just saying what I am using.

How come your sandwhich plate does not have any holes for a 1/8 sensor? You can tap it or take it to a machine shop and ask them to tap the feed side of it. Works fine, I have done it.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
OneJArpus;1677087 said:
which adapter do you have? Almost all i look at have 2 1/8th npt holes for sensors.

Im not sure, generic? I bought it used from a guy on SF

IBoughtASupra;1677098 said:
OS Giken really hold the power, there dual clutch is nice and doesn't add a heavy load pressure plate on the crank. Just saying what I am using.

How come your sandwhich plate does not have any holes for a 1/8 sensor? You can tap it or take it to a machine shop and ask them to tap the feed side of it. Works fine, I have done it.

I may do this or just build a small section of hardpipe..
OSG are very nice clutches! I am jealous

Sam

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
te72;1677268 said:
My clutch setup:

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-stage3clutchkitforr154.php

Using this plus a new factory (heavy) flywheel on my 1j. Easy to drive, and would hold anything I could throw at it with the stock turbos...

Nice. How long have you been running this clutch? Is that an 'Action' brand clutch?
I am leaning towards the ACT xt 6 puck, seems pretty similar to the one you have.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Sam

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Been running on this clutch since late September/early October of 2010, so not terribly long, but I daily my Supra, so it's got a handful of miles on it. It is the Action brand, so far so good. Doesn't chatter too terribly much even if you only give it just off idle levels of throttle when starting out. Holds up just fine when you beat on it too. Granted, I'm only making ~320rwhp, probably similar levels of torque, but it holds up just fine. The real test of this setup should come later this year if money cooperates.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Sounds good, I appreciate your review!

It seems like the 3200lb pressure plates are something to avoid because of the potential 'crank walk'
Do you guys think running a 2800lb pp would resolve that issue?

I may just have to fork up the cash for a nice twin disk..

Sam

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The ACT 6 puck (w/2800lb PP) or equivalent (such as the Action) will hold 500wtq.. For the most part, regardless of what setup you have, a 1J is going to be fine with this level of holding power. Plus, drivability doesn't suffer much at all.

And yes, the 2800 should be just fine.. Otherwise, as others have said, there's twin disc setups that will hold even more and put less stress on the crank.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Dylan JZ;1678098 said:
Otherwise, as others have said, there's twin disc setups that will hold even more and put less stress on the crank.

This is the reason I bought my OS Giken. Less stress on the crank is always good.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Dylan JZ;1678098 said:
The ACT 6 puck (w/2800lb PP) or equivalent (such as the Action) will hold 500wtq.. For the most part, regardless of what setup you have, a 1J is going to be fine with this level of holding power. Plus, drivability doesn't suffer much at all.

And yes, the 2800 should be just fine.. Otherwise, as others have said, there's twin disc setups that will hold even more and put less stress on the crank.

Definately, thanks again.

IBoughtASupra;1678145 said:
This is the reason I bought my OS Giken. Less stress on the crank is always good.

Where did you pick yours up from? How much if you don't mind?

ALSO

For gauge sensors, My oil psi fits in the stock location so that is where that is going.
Now the oil temp gauge fits in one of the stock feed ports, is this going to have enough psi/flow to have accurate readings?????

Thanks guys!
Sam

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Heat in that area will kill that sensor. If you want, you can have a fitting in the block, then a hose made and hydraulically clamped to move the sensor to the intake side and mount it on the firewall behind the engine. There are a lot of 10MM bolts there to make a bracket to hold the sensor.

Only problem would be knowing how much oil is going to flow there.

I would believe that there is a good amount of flow because it fed another turbo, the twins, in stock form.

Another option is to call Aaron and give him the threads if the sensors and he can have a hose made with two females on one end to accept both sensors so you would only use the feed on the intake side. I am use he can make that hose for you, he has done custom hoses for me as well.

You can also get a Y fitting to go INTO the block where the stock 1JZ pressure switch would be and then run two hoses from there with two female ends to accept one sensor on each hose. The Y fitting will have compression male fittings that would use a small AN size fitting to connect to each hose. You will need the thread of the hole on the block which you can get off the old sensor, just take it with you to the speedshop. The thread should be 1/8BSPT.

All of these choices, if done properly, won't leak.