GETRAG tranny

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
if anyone can help me out, what bell housing do i need to swap the type 233 transmition, cause i got a used 6spd, but i dont know if itll strait bolt up to my 1j or not

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
bloodasp90 said:
if anyone can help me out, what bell housing do i need to swap the type 233 transmition, cause i got a used 6spd, but i dont know if itll strait bolt up to my 1j or not
Well, if you have a 233 (V160), you should notice that the bellhousing is actually part of the transmission, and not replaceable.

Fortunately the bolt pattern will bolt right up to a 1JZ no problem :)

Talk to Jawsgear about getting a 3.54 ring and pinion for your rear-end so you can actually use it too.

Andre

Feb 4, 2006
Netherlands
annoyingrob said:
Well, if you have a 233 (V160), you should notice that the bellhousing is actually part of the transmission, and not replaceable.

Talk to Jawsgear about getting a 3.54 ring and pinion for your rear-end so you can actually use it too.

You can go even lower then 3.54

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
annoyingrob said:

well thats why i was asking cause i did notice the hole bellhousing thing with it, and whats the difference in the feel with a 3.54 rear with the 6spd

Andre

Feb 4, 2006
Netherlands
bloodasp90 said:
well thats why i was asking cause i did notice the hole bellhousing thing with it, and whats the difference in the feel with a 3.54 rear with the 6spd

The Mk4 came with an 3.2 diff

The Mk3 with an 3.73 are maybe you have an 3.9

I am running also the getrag in my mk3 with an 3.73 and he fisrt gear is very short so thats why you have to go as low as possible

3.54 is an option butt i heard jawss gear do not sell them anymore

Butt i drive the getrag with an 3.73 and the 1 gear is good foor spinning the wheels :icon_razz doing crazy things with the car

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Andre said:
The Mk4 came with an 3.2 diff

The Mk3 with an 3.73 are maybe you have an 3.9

I am running also the getrag in my mk3 with an 3.73 and he fisrt gear is very short so thats why you have to go as low as possible

3.54 is an option butt i heard jawss gear do not sell them anymore

Butt i drive the getrag with an 3.73 and the 1 gear is good foor spinning the wheels :icon_razz doing crazy things with the car

so what you just start out in second or something? cause if i have to start in second then theres no point in even having a 6spd, cause ill never use all 6gears..

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Drop the diff gears as low as possible, trying to get as close to 3.20 as possible. Oh, btw, have fun dynoing in 5th, should feel great to go 150+ in one spot.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bloodasp90 said:
so what you just start out in second or something? cause if i have to start in second then theres no point in even having a 6spd, cause ill never use all 6gears..

Are you interested in the Getrag just because it has 6 gears?

You should be interested because of it's ability to hold lots of power. That's the real benefit of the Getrag.

Otherwise, stick with the R154.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
tissimo said:
I would think closer gear spacing is another BIG benifit of the trans as well.
I agree to an extent but that depends on the type of driving it's being used for. If it's mostly freeway stuff, it won't really make a difference as the top 3 gears are pretty much the same on both. Light to light or other lower speed situations would definately be different. Not sure if good or bad though. Probably depends on the power you make, what tire you have, and the diff. I only have limited experience driving a V160. I'm just talking from looking at t the ratios. Maybe Sean(2JZMK3) will chime in about using both.

R154
First Gear: 3.250:1
Second Gear: 1.955:1
Third Gear: 1.310:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.753:1

V160
First Gear: 3.830:1
Second Gear: 2.360:1
Third Gear: 1.680:1
Fourth Gear: 1.310:1
Fifth Gear: 1.00:1
Sixth Gear: 0.790:1

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Speed wise, 1st and 2nd are nearly the same.. but thats where it starts to change.. the mkivs (v160 w/ 3.13 diff) has shorter gears from there on. greatly helping in the acceleration and keeping closer to peak power and still maintains the top end speed.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
A getrag has very little benefit if it's not coupled to a 3.13(usdm) or 3.26(jdm) diff. JoeZee has a very strong point, if you have 3.73 gears you're better off sticking to the R154. You might think the short gears down low will help to get the car off the line, but while your going through gears the R is on one gear.
ONly if you are going over 800rwhp will the getrag really be a need but then again the R has held to even that level of power.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well i really dont want to burst any of your guys bubbles, but i got the trans for only $115US, so if i have to change out the diff, i dont care, cause its still basicly one of the greatest trannys out there..

plus is it possable to swap out the MKIV pumpkin into the MKIII? cause i know theres guys who do that over here in japan, but they do it in JZX100's, and ive really not of had the chance to look into it..

so basicly the best gearing i could find for the Getrag would be a 3.20 gear?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
It doesn't matter how much you got the transmission for, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You're looking at doing a lot of custom work to get the transmission in the car and working with the MKIV diff, so much work that you're going to have to spend that initial outlay of $155 many times over.

To be honest mate, you sound like a guy that only wants the Getrag because it has 6 gears - That's the WRONG reason to get one installed in your car.

The reason to go through all the time, hassle and expense related in sticking the Getrag in your car is if you're shooting for some BIG numbers and if you were, it's likely you wouldn't give a rats ass about not being able to use all 6 gears.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
DonS1mpson said:
It doesn't matter how much you got the transmission for, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You're looking at doing a lot of custom work to get the transmission in the car and working with the MKIV diff, so much work that you're going to have to spend that initial outlay of $155 many times over.

To be honest mate, you sound like a guy that only wants the Getrag because it has 6 gears - That's the WRONG reason to get one installed in your car.

The reason to go through all the time, hassle and expense related in sticking the Getrag in your car is if you're shooting for some BIG numbers and if you were, it's likely you wouldn't give a rats ass about not being able to use all 6 gears.

If you read the install on supras.nl (I think, been a LOOONG time since I read it) the install wasn't all that complicated.