German Castrol availability

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don't mean to waste bandwidth, but I thought I would give everybody a heads-up.

I have been having a really hard time finding GC over the last year. Well, I happened to go into an autozone the other day, and to my surprise they had a case. I had them look up stock and there seems to be plenty in the Chicagoland area right now.

I went around and cleaned out a few stores, but there is plenty left if anybody is looking.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
suprastanger507mgte said:
How do we identify?

"European Formula" on the front and "made in Germany" on the back.

I think I have a receipt with AutoZone's part no. if you want it.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
We seem to have lots of it North of the border. Just bought all the stock in a Parts Source but it was carried in every other store I went to and they all had stock on the shelf.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
One of the cheaper, better performing, true full synthetic oils out there that you can buy in a local store, unlike the shit out there being marketed as a full synthetic, when it's anything but that.

I have either about 29 or 39 quarts that I acquired from 5 different AZ's. ;)

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Poodles said:
can't find any around here :(

That's exactly why I posted - I haven't been able to find any here for a year, it was very difficult even before that.

I have so much now -- it makes me very :icon_razz ...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Canadian tire carries it in Canada....

and you'll know it is the german stuff by the viscosity (generally) being 0w-30.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
castrol now makes a 0w-30 thats not made in germany and is like the rest of their synthetic oils.. hydrocracked dino oil... it says made in USA on the back

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
all of the 0w-30 castrol I have seen for sale in my town is the german castrol (made in germany on the back, but doesn't say european formula)... Freshly in stock everytime I go in.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Take a look at this thread...Info on GC starts at post #4:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38768

There's two different bottles in the US...the older "Green" GC and the new version out since 2005. The way to ID it is in the thread and it's still popping up in the AutoZones here in Phoenix. There's pics of the Canadian bottle (it's different) as well...as stated, our friends up north have no problem getting it.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
My 3 local autzones always have several cases in stock. They recently changed the label and it now says "european formula" on the front. I managed to pick up a couple cases of the old stuff when it was on sale for $3.?? a quart. I have no problem getting it. The only castrol 0w-30 I've ever seen is the german blend

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...is it the GC Green? (the oil is actually green)
If so, that's the really good stuff...btw, they changed the label at the beginning of 2005 ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check out AutoZones, lets say, in "economically depressed" areas of town...most of the folks that live in those areas go cheap on oil and wouldn't touch a 0W-30 with a 10 foot pole. Been successful in a lot of cities ;)