Gearbox related rattle

phineas2233

Apr 10, 2011
Carterton
Hi there

I haven't been able to find anything at all on the net relating to this rather unique problem so decided to post a thread. Pretty much i'll start the saga from the beginning:

I had just recently rebuilt the engine on my supra and she was running mint, no strange noises just smooth beautiful engine. Anyway I was giving it a thrashing one day and blew the gearbox. Confirmed this by the bits of metal and the mashed gear when I dropped the box and opened it up.

So anyway I put in a second hand gearbox and when I put this box in I had initially a sound which was a slight rattle, anyway I didn't think much of it until I was doing some burnouts and the clutch blew, I thought it was the box because the clutch was a 6 puck heavy duty clutch and I had only just purchased it. Anyway I brought another gearbox just to be sure but when I swappped other one out I found it was infact the clutch.

So I purchased another clutch and put that in with the second box I had just brought. With this box there was a rattle but unlike the previous one it went away when I depressed the clutch pedal which made me think it must be output shaft bearings or something, after a bit of driving with this box I started to get similar rattling sounds with as the last on and it began rattling in all gears regardless of clutch position. I have stopped driving it in fear of blowing up another gearbox.

Anyway I have another rebuilt gearbox ready to go in, but I want to know if anyone can shed some light on what could be cause these clutches and gearboxes to prematurely destroy them selves. Could it be I have just brought a range of bad gearboxes and had some shitty luck or could something such as drive shaft angle, a bad diff, or something else be causing these issues.

Note that when I installed the puck clutch I installed both a new carrier bearing and spigot bearing.

In short the events are:

1. New engine, second hand gearbox, new puck clutch, spigot bearing and carrier bearing, no strange noise, gear box suddenly blows: gear with mashed teeth;
2. Same engine, new box, same clutch and bearings, strange rattle noise present regardless of clutch position and quickening as revs increase while driving, clutch blows;
3. Same engine, new box, new clutch and carrier bearing, same spigot, similar rattle noise present but not when clutch is depressed and is less evident in certain gears, quickens as revs increase, noise develops and begins to sound much like the previously described noise and is now present regardless of clutch position, nothing blown yet but I got a feeling.

Hopefully someone can help! SUPRA IS MK3 7MGTE gearboxes being used are W58s

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It isn't the clutches and gearboxes prematurely destroying themselves, it's just that 7m torque in front of them. The W58 is a great transmission for < 300ft-lbs engines, but anything more than that and you're on thin ice. I would recommend looking into an R154 swap if you prefer a manual.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stop using W58's...

Also, what fluid are you using in the transmission? Also didn't say what was done to the 7M other than a rebuild.