Gave her all the parts and money she needs, Car will not accelerate

Il state the problem first so if you dont know. you dont have to read the whole thing.

1989 Toyota Supra 7MGTE, 5 Speed.

PROBLEM. Car will not accelerate more than a half throttle, starts to try and die but never turns off. Sometimes back fires like to much gas.
Problem starts when it tries basically to go past 2500 to 3000 rpm. But also feels like it not getting enough gas like its being starved.
On first start up you can do 2 or three pulls before the above starts to happen. Once problem has started you can turn the car off wait a few seconds and do another 2 or 3 pulls.
But just barely giving it gas just enough to get down the road pretty much hinders it from cutting out.

Attempts to fix, No check engine light, but pulled codes anyway and got a code for TPS. Other than that no codes, and no codes will Attempting to fic
1. Installed new fuel Pump
2. New fuel filter
3. New TPS, did not calibrate cause no OHM meter, but marked it the best i could and installed, No longer threw a code.
4. New Spark Plugs, all gaped to factory.
5. AFM cleaned out. Unplugged the AFM to see if the probelm was the same but without it plugged in it would just die the moment you hit the throttle. so ruled that out.
6. Fuel Pump relay mod, bypassed the relay just to see if it was cause it and problem still perused
7. Fuel tank was real dirty(also fuel pump filter looked really bad) so cleaned it out the best i could, problem was still there.

Bought the car 8 hours away, test Drove it and drove fine. Drove the car back, and the first 4 hours back was in Pouring down rain. Once the rain stopped stopped and got gas and for the next 4 hours was the worst drive ever.
Kept cutting out like i stated above, the more gas you give the faster the RPM drop. barley giving it gas keeps it running but wont cut out. enough time basically to pull over lol.

Thanks in advance, about to give up.

Reactions: ZayMA70

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
You cleaned the Karmen Vortex AFM? Please describe this in detail as this is a mirror-style AFM, not a hot wire MAF.

Swap AFMs with a known good AFM and try again.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Pull all of the spark plug wires off the plugs, and look into the holes? Is there any oil or water accumulating? If so, that'll cause engine cutout under anything more than light throttle. Dry out those areas by pushing in paper towels with a long screwdriver. That area must be bone dry.

supraguy@aol;2013504 said:
Pull all of the spark plug wires off the plugs, and look into the holes? Is there any oil or water accumulating? If so, that'll cause engine cutout under anything more than light throttle. Dry out those areas by pushing in paper towels with a long screwdriver. That area must be bone dry.

There is a signigacnt amount of oil on top of some of the plugs. Bad cam cover gaskets i guess?

trying to borrow a buddy AFM as we speak! All i did to clean it out was spray cleaner in it. should i have done somthing else?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Fix the oil leaks. Cam cover gaskets and reseal core plugs.

Replace spark plugs and plug wires.

Plug wires look ok? Do you have a insulation tester?

And new AFM.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
TCCS only cuts fuel for a couple of reasons, and it is done at different engine speeds. If it was oil, it would burn off in short order. Unless you are pumping a lot of oil in there constantly.

5. AFM cleaned out.

Say what?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Let me try to help you out.

1 You ruined your AFM by " just cleaned it up with some spray".

2 Insulation breaks down over time especially with the ends submersed in engine oil. "my plug wires look ok" You are not Clark Kent with Xray vision. Buy new OEM Toyota plug wires. What is the date code on wires any way. Why do some people resist replacing secondary ignition items. The most common cause of drivability problems. Lets blame the TCCS system. Go basic. Plugs are cheap also should replace. Electricity is lazy it looks for the path of least resistance. IE It would rather jump out of the plug wire or boot and go to ground,instead of having to work hard and jump the plug gap.

3 Fix the cause of oil getting into the spark plug valley.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Everything he just said.
My understanding is, that our AFM's are optical. You CAN'T clean them with spray cleaner.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lol, as soon as I read the "spray"...

7m valve covers are prone to leaking. That fills up the spark plug galley. Mine had over a quart in there and ran fine until the wires started expanding and popped off all by themselves.

You will notice that the valve covers are Phillips screws. Don't over tighten them...

My guess is once you replace the AFM the car will run properly.