gas leak/ replacing injector o-rings

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
so i've noticed a very obvious gas smell coming from my car the last two days. i start her up to look under the hood to see where its leaking and it is pouring out of what seems to be where the injectors go in to the rail. i found a thread with a "how to" on swapping out injectors but my biggest thing is won't gas be leaking all over the place if i were to pull the rail to replace the injector seals? my plan was to just take the TB and 3000 pipe off and replace those o-rings but i don't want gas leaking out the whole time i'm doing it. any tips or advice is appreciated. here's the "how to" i was talking about

http://mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=13885&highlight=guide+controller&page=2

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
ForcedTorque;1456695 said:
From post 14

Step 30 - Grab the hose and point it upwards to minimise fuel loss

I personally would remove the entire upper plenum for easier access.

Not only do this but correct me if im wrong guys, since the fuel pump
wont be on you will only lose the gas thats already in the fuel rail which
isnt a lot of gas lol...

But gas wont hurt anything if thats what your worried about is it
getting on something...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ForcedTorque;1456695 said:
From post 14

Step 30 - Grab the hose and point it upwards to minimise fuel loss

I personally would remove the entire upper plenum for easier access.

I agree, I'd remove the bolts/nuts and then pull it away from the engine and let it sit there.

As the rail is higher than the tank you'll lose some fuel from the rail and the pressure, but it's not going to drain on you. Another good tip is to open the fuel filler cap so you don't have pressure in the tank that will push fuel through.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
thanks guys. thats what i've been thinking but just wanted to double check before i get in to the job. i think i just didn't install the injectors the right way when i put my motor together. won't mess that up again.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A bit of Vaseline on the o-rings will help. Use a twisting motion to install into the rail.